Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Default Header Coating - Performance Coatings

I've been on a temp control binge and wanted to reduce engine bay temps.
    So ceramic coating the headers was a must...
    Did some shopping and found: http://www.performancecoatings.com/

I got a quote from jet-hot as well. While jet-hot is probably the best product out there I couldn't justify double the price... and they were pushing their new 2500deg product but couldn't tell me if it reduced radiant heat better than the 2000deg product at a given EGT.

I chose Performance and a satin "fresh" look. Nothing fancy. 2000deg finish.
    Here are pictures before and after:

Attachment 57314

Attachment 57315

From SoCal it was 2 weeks from the time I shipped them off to return on my doorstep - most of that time was on UPS trucks...

We'll see once I get them running - but so far very pleased with the service and result.
    Last edited by BeerBudgetRacing; 11.25.15 at 7:20 PM.

Liked: 91

I'll be THAT guy.

What'd it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    What'd it cost?
    There was another piece of pipe not pictured. $225+SH.
    Prices are on their site. (4cyl long headers $165, collector $30, extra pipe $30)

Jet-hot quote was $405 for their 2000deg product and $505 for their 2500deg product...

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Didn't see warranty information. Is there any?
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 96

Default local coaters

Talk to your local powder coater. Most can apply the same mat'l. The prep is what makes it stay on and last. Just my $0.02.

john f

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

I've used those guys. decent product. I've had some adhesion problems, but they've always re-coated them for free - but I still have the adhesion problem...

I only coated the outsides

Liked: 96

A good media blast is what is needed to keep it on. A lot of coaters just burn the item to be coated or do a wash but no mechanical roughing. The roughing is what any coating is held on by. My $0.02.

john f

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    Didn't see warranty information. Is there any?

3 years when applied to new parts. 1 year when applied to used headers...

Void if used on a dyno before regular use (3 heat cycles).

Quote Originally Posted by john f View Post
    A good media blast is what is needed to keep it on. A lot of coaters just burn the item to be coated or do a wash but no mechanical roughing. The roughing is what any coating is held on by. My $0.02.

john f
    Yes, they blast it with 2 different media...

Quote Originally Posted by john f View Post
    Talk to your local powder coater. Most can apply the same mat'l. The prep is what makes it stay on and last. Just my $0.02.

john f

I looked into that and came away believing they were different processes...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I've used those guys. decent product. I've had some adhesion problems, but they've always re-coated them for free - but I still have the adhesion problem...

I only coated the outsides
    If you read their site now, they do not do just inside or outside and only do both....

I would suspect doing outside only would be a formula for flaking as you're heating unprotected metal....

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

A customer of ours used their product, it was at least 15 years ago. It wasn't good at the time but I'm sure they've improved it since then. We'll stick with Jet Hot anyway.
    In our opinion a chemical strip provides the best adhesion.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 107

"jet hot" and the like are really just paint and not a performance temp. solution.

after a lot of investigation - this is what i used on the headers on my street lotus to keep from melting things back there....

but I'm not sure i would coat a race car header, I've had to repair weld mine often... you are not getting swain ceramic coating off - its probably tougher than the stainless underneath it!

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

temp changes were "significant" eliminated melting reflectors and dropped the "hottened" tire pressure by the 2-3 pounds it was always up.

added benefit is the finish looks kinda like a cast alumn. helps on visual smog inspections here in cali
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 3

Probably too late now, But I have used something called Calico Coating from a place in NC with almost unbelievable results. We use on Trans Am cars and it lowers the radiant temp at the firewall(engine side) by about 75°. After a 100 mile race you can touch the header with bare hands within 3 minutes of shutting off engine. The down side of this product is that it is such rapid cooling that it causes cracking of the exhaust components. We ran 12 TA race weekends, 5or6 Majors Events, and probably about 6 Private Test days and repaired the headers 3 times. Where as the sister car with identical engine, exhaust, body, and so on got repaired only once and ran the same events. If temperature control is your goal this stuff is definitely worth the money. I can't remember exactly what it cost but it was much cheaper than Jet Hot and simular brands. You just have to remember to inspect the exhaust often

Liked: 91

I search, so YOU don't have to:

http://www.calicocoatings.com/

in Denver, NC.

Liked: 177

Pro-Coat Indy quoted me $140 for the header on my FE to be blasted and prepped then ceramic coated with the "chrome" look. I don't think that can be beat...

EDIT: just double checked and that is good to 1300F. The semi-gloss Black ceramic coating they offer is good to 2500F. Same price either way.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Thread Information