Liked: 553

Default F2000 Vintage Racing

I'm curious about typical fields for an older (1980's) FC car in vintage/historic events. Seems like it might be a fun, cheap, reliable car for getting into events like The Mitty.

Are there many F2000 cars racing at vintage/historic events?

What other types of cars are on the track at the same time? Are they on track with FF's, or F1's? :-)

I know it probably varies a lot depending on the organization, track, etc. In my case, I'm in the southeast US and might go to Road Atlanta, Savannah, Sebring, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 3787

Russ,
    The GLC up north does the best job of it currently.
    Most monoposto groups get their pants all in a wad if you even mention it.
    Big groups like HSR have run group linitations and would probably put you out with F1 cars.
    Call Court Dowis and ask him his experiences.

Liked: 757

How cool would it be to have an organization that ran vintage FF and FF2000!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

Folks like Mike Rand are trying to get that started under the Duffus banner. struggling so far. Hoping next year gets more support. Lots talk on the interweb, getting real entries is another story. Seems lots of "vintage" guys don't like to travel far from home.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

So there are a few of us out there. In 05 VARA had 11 FCs, mostly 89 Reynards and 93-97 VDs. I remember one Apexspeed guy ran one of the RA events, another ran the Mitty. I ran Indy this year.

As frog noted, especially with SVRA we are in Group 9 with F1, Indy, Indy lites, F2, FA, FSV.

Unfortunately SVRA classes us as an F2 car - they don't seem to have the concept of rolling all the FC cars together except for the 1800's with fuel injection and the 8s and 10s. A Pinto car is reasonable competitive with the flat bottom 1600 FSVs on 6's and 8s.

They have this thing about period cars being together, so FF runs with FB, and all wings and slicks go into group 9, even though it would make a LOT more sense safety wise to put FC into the run group with FF and FB.

My brake problems made the last two days at Indy a drag, but had I not had those problems there were several of those guys I'd been able to race with well. As it was I got 3rd in F3 mostly due to attrition.

I'm looking to run more SCCA out here on the east coast because what SVRA has done is construct a pro vintage series where they go all about the country visiting all the big tracks, and so there's only a race at VIR and another at RA that are a reasonable tow from here.

Thread Information