Liked: 4

Default FJ Running Costs

Hi guys,

anyone here run a mid-engined FJ? If so, I was wondering if I could ask some general questions about running costs (tires, engine hours, gearbox etc.)

Currently running a Lotus 51 but I realize that is much cheaper to run than an FJ.

Thanks.

Ciao,
    n.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

just following this thread

and wondering why would anyone pay more to go slower?

Liked: 25

Default Choices

Leaving costs out of it and shifting from open wheels, I imagine lots of us would rather race a Ferrari GTO than a big block 60's Corvette.
    Frank C

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    why would anyone pay more to go slower?

Because there are more places where they let you go slower for more money. FF cars aren't accepted at a lot of venues.

I get that if you want to go faster, get a faster car... but to me vintage racing isn't just about going fast. It's about following in the foot steps (or tire marks) of my heroes.

Until the days when I can afford the acquisition and rebuild costs on an F1 DFV or F2 FVA, FJ cars sound like the best alternative to me.

Ciao,
    n.

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    just following this thread

and wondering why would anyone pay more to go slower?
    Look around the paddock and ask any FF or FC racer why they didn't buy an old uncompetitive FA instead. They could have gone much faster for less money.

Liked: 492

Some of the FJ cars have some parts issues, but the running costs for both the chassis are basically the same. The difference is basically the engine expenses. A top line FJ engine also will not take engine over revs the way a FF engine will. That is why FF was created in the first place. Give Jay Ivey a call 503-255-1123 and ask.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 757

And they're gorgeous....
    Last edited by SEComposites; 11.25.15 at 9:07 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Ford 1000cc screamers! 3+" bore and a 1.9" stroke in a cast iron push rod 4cylinder.
    Who wouldn't like the sound at 10,000 rpm? Isn't that where Cosworth got there start?
    Not to mention the more exotic engines.

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Default Screamers

Agreed on that. I run a Lotus 20, although I have the limiter set at 9500. When I go by some of the FF guys, they tell me the sound hurts their ears...

Thread Information