Liked: 23

Default 2015 Walter Hayes Trophy

So, coming of age with 80 car Riverside Formula Ford fields at the emergence of the DB1 days I've always been a pretty big fan of the class. Its always been on my bucket list to go see the Formula Ford Festival or the Walter Hayes Trophy, with some increased urgency to go now as its waning and if Formula 4 takes off it will come to an end. So, planned a buddies weekend with fellow former FF driver Jim Nash and headed to silverstone. Great experience.

Here are some videos of the starts, of the Last Chance Race from Copse, Semi Final 1 from Maggots, and Semi Final 2 from Brooklands corner. No video of the final because, frankly, I wanted to watch it. It was a stupid point and shoot still camera that kinda does video, so apologies for the lack of quality (and its focusing on the fencing).

Last Chance Race
    Semi Final 1
    Semi Final 2

Biggest take away from the weekend was: I could totally be mid pack over there too. Except probably not the final. That was 20 cars going three wide into Brooklands for 15 laps. Insanely good (tho eventful) racing.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 977

I too have always wanted to go over and at least watch...very cool!

Liked: 232

Default Racing in England .......

Because I have a very understanding wife, I raced F1600 in 1982 at the Brands Hatch's "Indy" circuit and Silverstone's "Club" Circuit in a Royale-Minster RP-26s - which were "school" races - And really enjoyed my time as a "...mid packer..."

In 1984 went back after saving for almost two (2) years and raced the FF2000 Racings Displays series (just for the experience) at Snetterton and Brands Hatch F1 Circuit both for Rushen Greene Racing in a Reynard-Sam Nelson (I believe) SF84. At Snetterton best I could do was 12 of 16 - At Brands a week later - finished 9/mid pack of 17 and behind such drivers as Gugillmin, Julian Bailey, Gary Brabham, Martin Donnelly -

VERY VERY serious racing - Went to the Van Dieman factory the Monday after the Snetterton race (actually across the street), and there were about five bare chassis in the grass ready for teams to pick them up after the weekend as a result of the past weekend's " ... fun and games..." (...........designer Dave Baldwin's words)

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

I wouldn't worry about F4 detracting from Formula Ford. The Kents have a strong following in the UK at club level. The Festival (which I went to the previous weekend) had 75 entries and the Walter Hayes 130+ cars. The top guys are a match for any pro driver and in my experience racing there in the 90's the depth of talent is pretty deep. I last raced at the Festival in '97 and going back some 18 years later it was great to catch up with some the guys I raced against who have come back to the class. I do miss the UK club racing scene.
    Last edited by SEComposites; 11.03.15 at 10:54 AM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Our family was at the Festival the previous weekend as well. Brilliant event, have to find a way to get back and run again.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default Wht

Nice collection of photos from the WHT I stumbled upon..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/992298...n/photostream/

Liked: 67

Having gone with Tim to the WHT, I have to say it was one heck of a lot of fun. Having seen Silverstone in so many books, photos, videos, and on TV for the last 40+ years of my life, to actually see the place was really cool.

Obviously the racing was fantastic but there were a lot of other things to take in. One that stood out to me were the workers. There was no shortage of them, that's for sure. When a car ended up in a gravel trap and the field had cleared the corner, 5 or 6 guys would sprint to the car and start getting it either out of harms way or back on the track. If the field was coming around again and they had not finished, they would sprint back and do it all over again. Very little hesitation but nothing stupid.

Red flags were the choice over a full course yellow and then they would have a standing restart. Re-griding the cars took SCCA-like time to do but overall the events seemed to be run really well. No surprise there I suppose.

I would encourage anyone with a passion for FF racing to go if you ever get the chance. Next year might have to be the Festival at Brands!

Jim

Thread Information