Liked: 91

Default FM Dash/Data system(s)

Hey guys. I'm soon to be the proud owner of the '98 chassis I asked about in that other thread. It comes with the normal analog gauges that came stock with the car, but I'm a data head, so I need a better dash, and data recording capabilities.

Is there any such thing as the "normal" system for an FM? Is there anything created especially FOR the FM?

Not having an ECU per se, I would think that that would limit the choices a bit. So, what's the recommended one?

Liked: 7

I am using an Aim MXL Pista dash. It was installed by Speedsport in CT so I can't give you any tech tips about hooking it up. I use it in conjunction with the AiM Smartycam GP (bullet cam) which is fantastic. You can see the dash in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwGMZRHEcIo

Off the top of my head, it's got RPM, speed (GPS, not wheel), oil temp, oil pressure, water temp.

My wife has the newer MXS color dash in her Atom. If you can money up, that dash is incredible.
    Last edited by Coochas; 11.01.15 at 7:14 PM.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

The most popular dash when the FM cars were run in the Pro Series was the MoTeC ADL. (and it's the Standard on the newer Pro Formula Mazdas). We've got several used ones, or the new low-cost CDL3 that might be a good fit for your car. If you sat in Mel Kempers car then you saw his MoTeC dash.

I've got a CNC program to make a FM dash panel that fit the MoTeC dashes. I can customize that for whatever switches you have/need.

We're also dealers for the AiM products mentioned above, as well as other brands including CDS, Stack, and Race Technology. Give Ellen or I a call.

David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Paso Robles, CA
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    If you sat in Mel Kempers car then you saw his MoTeC dash.
    Well, I sat in his NEW, OLD car. The car that he did his 1st drivers school in back in 1986. He just bought it back, and had it in the trailer. It was the stock dash:

His dash

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Give Ellen or I a call.
    How about an e-mail?

Liked: 530

AIM is best for the money - great value and can do a lot.
    MoTeC is very powerful and very expensive!

Veracity is very helpful! Definitely give Dave a call or email!

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

The best email contact is ellen@veracitydata.com. My email is ferg@veracitydata.com.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 28

Default Congrats!

Hey FrankRizzo, congrats on the car. We have (had) 7 FMs in your team and we have tried quite a few things before deciding on AIM products. Pi is not great but ok if you just want something cheap with simple data. AIM is the best all around package and will do anything you want it to do but you have to do a few things on installation to make things work right if you are using the SmartyCam with it. If you are already heavily invested in GoPro stuff, the SmartyCam may not be the best use of money. The MoTec is far and away the BEST you can get but you will pay for it. Like double or more. We all run the same system so we can easily compare data for tuning and driver coaching. The support from AIM has been amazing as we did experience some issues at first but their on-site help sold us long term. Plus, they often show up at the track for free services. Hope this helps,

Dan

By the way, I'm sure we have a Pi or two sitting here from cars we bought if you want to buy one cheap. Just PM me if that is the case.

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

I've been liking the AIM Evo 4 with the GDash display. Really good value and a very readable, compact display. The base system is pretty economical (around $1,300), and their sensors are reasonably priced.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    I've been liking the AIM Evo 4 with the GDash display. Really good value and a very readable, compact display. The base system is pretty economical (around $1,300), and their sensors are reasonably priced.
    I've wondered about the fact that the Evo 4 has a CAN bus input on it. Considering the FM has no real ECU to speak of. Does that limit what you can get from the Evo 4?

Liked: 42

Default Aim

We run AIM in our cars. We have everything you would need including dash panels (black anodized).

In fact we have Hundreds of Black Anodized Dash Panels for Pi, Motec, AIM (MXL & MXL2), Analog.

For the MXL2 we also have a mount that goes under the driver cowl behind the dash to mount Data Hubs, and TC hubs.

Of course all is for sale. We are a dealer for AIM, and can answer install questions of software, and hardware.

Moses
    www.formulamazda.com
    moses@mosessmith.com

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    I've wondered about the fact that the Evo 4 has a CAN bus input on it. Considering the FM has no real ECU to speak of. Does that limit what you can get from the Evo 4?
    The EVO 4 has multiple inputs. It is easier when you have a modern ECU (the Honda powered FF's we just hook up 2 wires and get everything the ECU sees).

On the FM's we read the RPM feed off the MSD box, and added oil temperature, water temperature, & oil pressure sensors. Everything AIM has is pretty modular and even if you DIY it's pretty straightforward.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    The EVO 4 has multiple inputs. It is easier when you have a modern ECU (the Honda powered FF's we just hook up 2 wires and get everything the ECU sees).

On the FM's we read the RPM feed off the MSD box, and added oil temperature, water temperature, & oil pressure sensors. Everything AIM has is pretty modular and even if you DIY it's pretty straightforward.
    Do you guys do the throttle and brake position as well?

Liked: 28

Default Throttle and brake sensors...

Some people use them some don't. You can dump a LOT of money into these things if you want to. For coaching purposes the braking is super important. The throttle isn't so much because you can at least hear what is going on via the video.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Do you guys do the throttle and brake position as well?
    On the evo4 you have 5 inputs before you need to expand...
    Oil pressure
    Oil temp
    Water temp

I've been told by many to get:
    Throttle position
    Steering position...

Braking can be seen as a change in g forces. Press the brakes and you positively feel it.
    Lifting you foot off the throttle does not have as dramatic a g change.... Also throttle full on isn't reflected anywhere as you wait for acceleration....

I guess this means you don't want the mycron2

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I guess this means you don't want the mycron2
    It might be a while until I get a full data setup, unless a really good deal comes along. If that's the case, I might need a lap-timer in the interim. So, the MyCron2 is still in play.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

I would say throttle is more important than brakes, but do both. Then take John Block's webinar and you'll see how they are both important.

Thread Information