Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default FV trans help needed

I am restoring a vintage vee, where do find manuals,drawings, or specs on a v transaxle?

Thank You
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	56404  

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Might give Bob Posner a call.

Liked: 58

Default FV trans

Tom:

If this is your first venture into FV , then I would suggest sending the trans to someone who is familiar with them (McCarthy is in Sacramento) and has the correct set up.
    If you insist on doing it yourself, get a copy of the GCR for the specs, a Bentley or other VW shop manual for the 61-65 type1 ( e-bay or the Samba - they go for 60-90 dollars) . That should get you started.

Hope that helps
    Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Precisely what is your goal? I might have a write up specific to FV transmissions. It assumes you already have the few VW specs that are applicable. Really very few changes required to make a FV setup. Email me and I will send a pdf. I adjust the gear selection forks you really should have a hollowed out gear case housing.

Brian

Liked: 830

Tom,
    I gather that the trans you want to rebuild came OUT of that Vintage car you are restoring. FWIW, it is quite unlikely that anything NEEDS to be rebuilt inside that trans if it really did come out of the car. The insides of an FV trans are very nearly bullet proof outside of crash damage. If you can shift the trans through it's 4 forward gears and reverse without issue from the nose cone, then I would suggest that you check the gear oil (should be about 1 inch BELOW the oil port on the side) and if it's OK, then just put it back in the car .. unless you have some other information indicating that it really needs work internally. If you are really picky.. you might drain the oil (2 plugs) and check it for debris. If you don't see any, put it back in the box and continue
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 72

Pull the axles off and the labor to go through a center section is less than one entry fee. You make the call.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information