Thread: Loooong Race

Liked: 179

Default Loooong Race

If anyone is looking to run the Looong Race later this month and is in the need for a co driver please let me know. That is always a fun race and I would love to do it again.

Brian Tomasi
    630-251-1709
    tomasimotorsports@att.net

Liked: 19

where and when is this race?
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 76

Blackhawk Farms Oct 24,25. Race is 50 laps/aprox 100 miles. Some classes run sat/others sun. It is sanctioned by the MCSCC.
    butch deer

Thanks!
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 1432

Man do I miss doing the Looong Race. One of the most fun, laid back, and enjoyable events there is. Post-Runoffs, end of the year, and everyone seems to be much happier at this event.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    and everyone seems to be much happier at this event.

Until something breaks... :-O

so for those that have attended this event care to share. supps don't say to much...

open wheel cars ...re-fuel, driver change what can and cannot do.....

SM do most guys run the race single driver?
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 388

Terry,

I haven't run the race in many years, but it always was a lot of fun. If I remember correctly, driver had to be out of the car to refuel. I believe that was the only rule. Driver changes are allowed. Typically people would switch drivers and refuel at the same time.

It would be kind of cool to see a bunch of FV's show up for it. Years ago we always had a decent field. I hadn't considered running it, but if enough show up maybe I'll join in.

Liked: 301

Mike,
    Wanna co-drive ? I'd LOVE to test out the AM-5.

Glenn

Liked: 95

Default Loooong Race

50 laps at Blackhawk. Driver changes allowed. If you need to refuel, the driver must be out of the car. It's a huge advantage to go the distance without stopping and many veteran Loooong Race competitors have developed some rather clever strategies. Tons of fun. Family orientated with "Big Wheel" races for the little shavers plus trick or treating.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 146

Last year I was fortunate enough to take the overall win in the OW/SR race, after 3yrs. of trying. Jason and I managed to make 13gal. of fuel go the distance in a FM rotary. Just use all the gimmicks--small carb jets, pure gasoline, a light, efficient right foot. You'll be out there with every conceivable OW and sports race car. By and large everyone is heads-up and hustling their car well. Just a hoot of a race. Good clean racers, better people.

The only place you'll ever hear "2 minutes!" and dead silence from the cars. Save that fuel!
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 9

Default co-driver strategy

Any suggestions for how to plan the sessions for co-drivers? This would be my first time co-driving for this race. I'm thinking one driver to do the 20min practice, and the other (and race starter) do the 20min qualifying. Then for the race, switch half way through (along with a refuel.)

Does anybody switch during the morning sessions?

Tad

Liked: 388

6 vee's registered so far for the long race. Cool...

I lost the desire when I saw the schedule. I understand the motivation to cram it into one day for everybody, but there is only an hour between practice and qualifying...seems too rushed and stressful for me.

Good luck to everyone -

Liked: 9

Default Regional racing

Soon to be 7 vees.

Michael- please remember that this is regional racing. Very laid back and very fun. An hour to add some gas and check lugs isn't too tough. Maybe hit the bathroom too. The afternoon goes a lot slower since the races are so long. And don't forget to stay for the party. It almost sounds like the good old days of racing before everything got all complicated.

Tad

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information