Thread: Merlyn 11a Body

Liked: 2

Default Merlyn 11a Body

After the nose of my Merlyn Mk11a experienced an unexpected encounter with the back wheel of another car this weekend, I find myself in need of Merlyn bodywork (at least the upper part). Actually, my nose is probably repairable, but the body has been repaired several times in the past, and it is getting quite heavy, what with the extra fiberglass. I fear it is nearing the end of its reasonable life. I know new body work is available from CRD, but I have also heard that it is eye wateringly expensive. I believe that there has been at least one other thread here inquiring about Merlyn bodywork, though I think it sort of died without any clear answers or possible direction. So I have several questions...

Does anyone know of any Merlyn 11a or 17 bodywork that may be available? (I have heard that 17 bodywork will fit the 11a, and I would certainly consider it for racing purposes...)

Does anyone know of any Merlyn body molds? This question was raised in the previous thread, but I don't think it was answered. It seems interesting to me that I regularly hear of molds for other vintage FF bodies, but never for Merlyns...

Thanks,
    -Chris Redd

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

How about you cosmetically repair your damaged body and take a mold off of it. That way you would always have the replacement available and you may be able to spread some of the expenses by selling other bodies taken from your mold. Just a thought and it may work out cheaper than the eye watering experience.
    Graham

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 103

Default making a mold

You can make your own mold off the original nose, once repaired, using Plaster of Paris and burlap strips. If the draft angles are such, you will only need a one piece mold. If two of the opposing surfaces are parallel, you will have to make a two piece mold. This is not difficult to do either, just takes twice a long.

A one piece mold most likely will be destroyed to remove the finished part. A two part mold can be used several times over.

You will have to buy some mold release agent http://www.rexco-usa.com/polyvinyl-a...parting-films/
    Last edited by Bill Manofsky; 10.14.15 at 11:18 AM.

Liked: 103

It is difficult to get new resin to stick to old resin. Instead of resin, use the clear two part epoxy to make repairs. You can order it by the can or buy it from Home Depot in the two part syringe.

You can wet fiberglass strips with this epoxy too for added strength to the repair.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 24

Default Merlyn Body

David Clubine of Britain West Motor Sport might be able to help you. I think they new somebody in the Toronto area that made body parts for Merlyn 11's.

Telephone: +1 519 756 1610
    Email: davidwclubine@gmail.com

Dave

Liked: 0

Cap at Sun works used to have some stuff

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default 11a tail & 17 nose mold

I've got a new 11a tail bought a few years back on ebay - don't recall who made it - but it's not so easy to modify it for what I really want - a Mk. 17 tail. So, if you want it that's for sale. I also have a 17 two-piece nose mold that I could lend out, if you end up taking that route. It produces a pretty good nose but might require some minor mods to mate with other 17 bodywork. PM or email if interested.

Liked: 5

Default Merlyn nose

I rebuilt my Mk 11a noose from the suspension forward by carving layers of 2" rigid insulation and then covering it with a skim coat of plaster. It cam out real good with a total investment of less then $100. I have some pictures if you want them.

Liked: 0

If you find an answer I'd love to know. I destroyed mine years ago and repaired it...I finally found someone on these boards in WA that had an extra he sold me. We've talked about building a mold but never have. Cap supposedly had someone that was building a mold but I don't think that ever happened either. I'd love to have an extra...and you're correct, they are crazy $ from CRD.

Thread Information