Liked: 102

Default COTA April 29 - May 1, 2016

I discussed having an open wheel only group with Speed Ventures at COTA this spring. Aaron is willing to give us our own run group if we can get enough cars to sign up. We need 30 cars to do this; the cost is $595 / day.

We will get a minimum of 80 minutes total track time to be divided into 4 sessions as we choose; 2 open practice, 1 qualify race, main race.

There is a possiblility of as many as 100 minutes total time, the final amount being dependent on the total number of entries that we have.
    More entries = more track minutes!

If you are interested in making this event, post what days would be best for you:

Friday only,
    Friday & Saturday,
    Saturday & Sunday,
    Sunday only

We only have a short time to let him know that we want to do this. If we get enough interest, he will add the open wheel group to his website and we can sign up and pay there.

This can be FF only if we have enough, or we can combine with other open wheel classes and stagger the starts.

Who wants to go to COTA?

Liked: 530

word of caution, speed ventures is a hack HPDE group, unorganized, unprofessional and just classifies all participants as 'expert' because they don't have the cojones to take charge of their own events and properly classify participants. Aaron literally, verbatim told me "we can't tell people they aren't advanced because it would hurt their feelings and they might not come back." They are the only group I've ever run with that I've ever been completely appalled with the 'service' being provided.

they completely blew off a promised early registration period the night before the event this year and all went to the bar instead, creating a charlie foxtrot the next morning.

I can't in good conscience let any of my apex friends spend this much money just to be disappointed. I'd also caution to investigate what type of insurance they carry, if any, should 30 open wheelers find themselves in the middle of unfortunate circumstances on track.

speed ventures is run by kids from California. you can do better.

Liked: 102

Default Thanks for raining on our parade....

I appreciate your concern, but other Apex members have driven in Speed Ventures events and have a different opinion of how they run their events. I'll get the details for the provided insurance. As far as our open wheel group, we will be running it using the same safety and experience regulations as Pro Auto Sports and NASA. Right now, we are looking to gauge interest and see if this is viable.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Brian, I wouldn't let one guys bad experience steer me away. People here bash SCCA everyday and they still get turnouts.

Liked: 9

The Edge Addicts events at CoTA have an advanced run group with relaxed passing rules and they only allow faster cars with experienced drivers.

EdgeAddicts.com
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 530

all the best - good luck to you guys.

Dean has a ton of experience at COTA - more than probably anybody here. If he recommends a group, I'd definitely look into it.

Thread Information