Liked: 11

Default Russell formula mazdas for sale

I am considering selling my Russell Formula Mazdas. I have a 2004, 2005 and 2006 which are in excellent condition. Red and yellow has a Pi dash, white has a low mileage engine built 2 yrs ago and runs pre-mix fuel. None have sealed engines but they have not been ported. The original inlet manifold restrictors have been removed from all.
    White 2005 is $16,000.
    Red and yellow 2004 $15,000.
    Yellow 2006 $15,000.
    Last edited by iracer; 07.11.16 at 9:56 PM.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

What type of work would need to be required to get any of these three cars to qualify to run FM class?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

the yellow one appears to have a different roll-over bar yet they all seem to have tall man hoops....why? ...........just wondering

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    the yellow one appears to have a different roll-over bar yet they all seem to have tall man hoops....why? ...........just wondering
    If I had to guess? They're ex-school cars. And they wanted to accommodate everyone.

Only the body and tall man roll bars are different from a scca f/mazda. There are some scca cars with the tall man roll bar. Swap the body and wings and you have the same as a scca car but wiith less expensive wheels than the BBS on the scca. These cars were built for the Russell school at sonoma california and they wish they had never sold them. The body is much nicer looking than the scca.

Liked: 45

I drove one of those, a very long time ago at Russell.

Liked: 9

Default FM conversion

To convert to FM is too time consuming and costly. There are many parts which are not the same. The 3 unsealed 13b motors we have purchased, one in a formula Russell we purchased for a school car were all GSL SE RX7 US motors. The cost to have a motor converted and sealed, if parts are available is in the $13,000 range, buy an FM.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Alternatively, buy one of the three cars above knowing what you are getting and go race it where you want to race it.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

Default 2004?

I'm curious what was done that makes you call these 1980's Russell chassis a 2004, 2005 & 2006?

There are probably 50 plus converted Russell cars running as spec FM's but AFAIK, the conversions were done back when Star took over around 1990. A fellow racer here in Central CA bought a Russell car about 4 years ago and wanted to convert to FM spec in the worst way but concluded it was too expensive. Instead he spent a boatload of cash and ported the motor, added a turbo and other stuff and basically has kind of a vintage FA.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    I'm curious what was done that makes you call these 1980's Russell chassis a 2004, 2005 & 2006?

There are probably 50 plus converted Russell cars running as spec FM's but AFAIK, the conversions were done back when Star took over around 1990. A fellow racer here in Central CA bought a Russell car about 4 years ago and wanted to convert to FM spec in the worst way but concluded it was too expensive. Instead he spent a boatload of cash and ported the motor, added a turbo and other stuff and basically has kind of a vintage FA.

sounds like a good hill-climb car!

Liked: 13

Default Hillclimb car

Actually, we have 2 non-spec FMs running the PA hillclimb series in FS. Not the fastest cars in the series but, the owners are having fun with them.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

The cars serial numbers reflect the year of the cars so that is why they are as stated in the ad. Compared to my scca spec f/mazda there are a few differences such as intake manifold is a stock mazda with a weber dcoe 50. They have a variable rev limiter, a few brackets to reinforce suspension shear plates and cheaper multi piece wheels. I dont advocate modifying them to spec f/m but they are a ton of fun and very reliable. Lap times are a couple of seconds slower than spec f/m due to less downforce.

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by iracer View Post
    The cars serial numbers reflect the year of the cars so that is why they are as stated in the ad. Compared to my scca spec f/mazda there are a few differences such as intake manifold is a stock mazda with a weber dcoe 50. They have a variable rev limiter, a few brackets to reinforce suspension shear plates and cheaper multi piece wheels. I dont advocate modifying them to spec f/m but they are a ton of fun and very reliable. Lap times are a couple of seconds slower than spec f/m due to less downforce.
    1st off, do you still have them?

2nd, can you pinpoint the causes of the less downforce? Is it just body/wing components, that could be swapped?

Liked: 1

Default FM

I may be interested in all three of these for a FM driving School in Tucson. Do these have a external fuel/electric cutoff or adjustable rev limiter like some of the schools use?

20. The following members LIKED this post:

I just sold my scca spec formula mazda which has a bridge ported engine which is wicked fast and a ton of fun. I had not intended to sell it but got talked into it. So I am not so motivated to sell these 3 russell cars which I dearly love too. Yes they do have external electrical kill switch and a rotary switch to adjust the rev limit. Best school cars ever, just ask the mechanics at sonoma Russell school.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

I have decided not to sell. Thanks for looking.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information