Liked: 91

Default Is there such a thing as a NEW FM?

Are they still being produced? If so, by whom, where?

Liked: 36

I don't know but if I had any FM questions I would call Moses Smith at Texas Autosports.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

i think that they were new like thirty years ago.....but ya never know, somebody might have bought one and never used it.............doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    i think that they were new like thirty years ago.....but ya never know, somebody might have bought one and never used it.............doubtful
    That's what it seems like, but I saw someone listed a "2012" for sale. Made me wonder.

Here's the listing:

2012?
    Last edited by FrankRizzo; 09.02.15 at 7:13 PM. Reason: Added link

Liked: 16

Call Moses Smith at Texas Autosport. He is the manufacturer.
    There are plenty of good used ones available at very reasonable prices. Again, Moses is the man you want to talk to.

Guys, I understand to call Moses. I'm not having a problem finding good used cars close to me here. I was just curious to know if they were still being manufactured, and if not, when the last ones were made.

Liked: 210

Frank,

I know you're looking for a formula car to race/drive in the Northwest. Be advised there are only perhaps 2 or 3 active FM's in the Northwest region. And in the most active club, ICSCC there is only ONE active FM driver. I think SCCA has maybe 2 to 4 active ones up here (but they only have 4 or 5 races at the most)

If it's size that matters to you, FM's are very roomy but you'd probably end up running in FL (formula Libre) or FS in SCCA. Fun classes and open to any changes you'd want to make.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 9

Default Moses has recently and can build them

Only Mo has the minutia on details but here's the scuttlebutt as I recall it.

He "built" a bunch for the Bondurant school a few years ago not long after buying the rights/inventory from Star Race Cars. I'm not entirely sure they were all new frames though, but they would have been as good as new. He certainly could have sold one or more to private buyers. So the 2012 is quite possibly accurate and would definitely be from him and him only.

I have the last FM built by Star. 2003. Up for sale end of the season.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    Only Mo has the minutia on details but here's the scuttlebutt as I recall it.

He "built" a bunch for the Bondurant school a few years ago not long after buying the rights/inventory from Star Race Cars. I'm not entirely sure they were all new frames though, but they would have been as good as new. He certainly could have sold one or more to private buyers. So the 2012 is quite possibly accurate and would definitely be from him and him only.

AWESOME info! Thank you VERY much! (This EXACTLY the kind of stuff I wanted. "Last Star car was built in 2003, anything since then is probably made by Mo. He did build some in the past for Bondurant."

Liked: 77

Knock Knock

Quote Originally Posted by dmccallum View Post
    Call Moses Smith at Texas Autosport. He is the manufacturer.
    Again, Moses is the man you want to talk to.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

Default Don't bother the man with trivia

Frank, I hope that's all you wanted to know. Mo is obviously the authority, but he's got better things to do than kibitz with us on trivia.

They are all stretched thin down there. My parts order got screwed up because they are, so let's not contact Mo unless it's about real business and stuff that makes a difference to HIM. Because that translates into making a difference for us.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Frank, I hope that's all you wanted to know. Mo is obviously the authority, but he's got better things to do than kibitz with us on trivia.

They are all stretched thin down there. My parts order got screwed up because they are, so let's not contact Mo unless it's about real business and stuff that makes a difference to HIM. Because that translates into making a difference for us.
    RIGHT! Which is exactly why I HAVEN'T contacted him. I figured there's enough people here who have, or have had FMs, that I could get the answers from.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

When he was in AZ, I found him to be very approachable and willing to chat about anything FM, with or without personal gain.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

Marshall,
    I think Ted is Moses' secretary..

This also reminds me, if you're behind me at Taco bell, at 3am, when the drive through line is stupid long, please do not get out of your car and run up to the pickup window to change your order. that messes up my order. the people at the window have better things to do, like give me my food, instead of dealing with you.
    Last edited by mikey; 09.03.15 at 6:11 PM.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Marshall,
    I think Frank is Moses' secretary..

This also reminds me, if you're behind me at Taco bell, at 3am, when the drive through line is stupid long, please do not get out of your car and run up to the pickup window to change your order. that messes up my order. the people at the window have better things to do, like give me my food, instead of dealing with you.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Marshall,
    I think Frank is Moses' secretary..
    HEY! We prefer to be called "Administrative Assistants" these days!

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

Sorry, I meant Ted anyway!

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    Most of them seem to have been built between 1998 and 2000, from what I can tell.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 12

I talked to Tim when he was at Texas Autosports back in 09? and you could get a new one back then. But, you could get a used one and do the same lap times, so most people just get a used one. (that's what I was told)

Liked: 309

Say it's not so, Ted!?

If you are in the market to go faster we are in the middle of a 4-chassis run...and we're only a half-hour west on the freeway.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 42

Default Taco Bell?

Did I just get compared to Taco Bell???...HAHAHA!!

OK. Here are some facts...

- The Last 100% new FM was built in 2003.
    - There was a new car built in 2004 that used the 4 port Renesis (out of automatic RX-8). this configuration never really took off as it should have. Timing was bad, and premature.
    - I did build a bunch of Bondurant Cars a few years ago. 4 of them were new cars, 12 of them were complete "down to the frame" rebuilds.
    - Before moving to Texas I was building complete rollers. In some of these rollers we installed rebuilt engines and gear boxes.
    - We have not built a new car as we have been looking at an engine replacement due to the lack on new parts availability to build 100% new 1987 GSL-SE 13b rotaries. There are a few other parts that have had to be re-sourced as resources have run dry in a couple of areas (ie. the new radiators).
    - Once we have answered a couple of more sourcing solutions, we will be back to delivering 100% new FMs.

Since our purchase of the rights and responsibilities of the Formula Mazda from Valley Motor Center (Star Racecars), our main goal is to keep the current cars on track first and support current owners.

When we took over these responsibilities the inventory at Star was seriously depleted, especially of the bigger, more complicated (expensive to manufacturer) parts. Also a fair amount of tooling was lost or misplaced that had to be found or reproduced.

We have been building back the infrastructure the old fashion way, "Make a dollar, reinvest a Dollar". Here in Texas they call it putting your profit back into the ground (I am sure its some sort of Oil reference...

Banks have some sort of apprehension of loaning money to a Race Car shop, although the old fashion way has been working for us, it is unfortunately a little slower than us racers would like...haha. So yes, sometimes we are a little short staffed, but again every dollar I can save is another dollar I can reinvest.

I understand that I am tight lipped about what is going on, and our time frame goals, but I have always been of the opinion that it is better to Under Promise, and over deliver. I cant stand "Hype", and this industry sure has enough of it...haha.

Our current work load has kept me from browsing the Forum, but please always feel free to email me questions and concerns, those I can get to when laying in bed.

Thanks to all the FM owners for their continued support.

Moses

28. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

Moses is a "Class Act" every time and I mean every time I have needs parts over the last 10 years Moses staff has delivered.......sure a couple more f things were backordered but they emailed me right away and gave me options. Several times I have called with a question and if the staff could not provide the answer Moses would give me a call.
    I have raced several classes of cars in SCCA over the last 25 years ....MSR is the Best support I have found!!!!!

Thanks again Moses and staff,

Thread Information