Liked: 30

Default Indycar Sonoma - SPOILERS

Was it an earned championship or did the double points ruin what was a competitive season full of good racing?

Thoughts!!

Liked: 120

Can it be both?

Liked: 757

Double points is just a joke. A championship is won over a season not in a Mickey Mouse show at the end of the year. What a sad state of affairs 'Indycar' is in these days.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

Montoya did win the other double points race so it's hard to hear him bitch about the last race being one. My thoughts, every one should pay the same points.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

while I generally think all races should be worth equal points, one must consider that the double point aspect ensured there were multiple drivers with a chance at the final event.

More importantly, they wrap up the season so they don't have to compete with NFL.

And Letterman should shave.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I don't really mind it. Makes the last race a little more exciting. Most people aren't into the whole marathon thing. They want to see a sprint at the end.

Liked: 268

Default Sears Point Indy race

Nice fabricated yellow flag by Indy Car yesterday! 4 or 5 laps for nothing as the car was running and a white flag would have been the normal indication around the track for the slow car. It completely screwed up the order and while Montoya running into Power was his fault the scenario the yellow created also created the drama. They " didn't see " the pit fuel hose screw up for Rahal then couldn't put two and two together when they threw the yellow for the fuel nozzle and couldn't figure out that there would be only one ripped off nozzle in the pits and the rest of the world sees it on TV in Fontana! I wonder if anyone there has a brain? As for double points maybe football should introduce double points for the last quarter of a game? What a joke!Dixon did a hell of a job and deserved to win this debacle but this outcome was surely a long shot without the useless officiating!

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

AND......................how does Marco Andretti keep his job?

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    AND......................how does Marco Andretti keep his job?
    the word is nepotism.......................

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 444

"I feel like I'm just coming into my own as a driver". http://www.racer.com/f1/item/120802-...ted-in-f1-move

Liked: 492

How about the Team Penske block on pit road?
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 123

I thought, on balance, that it was a shameful and embarrassing way to end a season on a whole raft of levels. Name a thing, it was embarrassing. Except for the various JW tributes, of course.

Brian

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 45

If all races during season are single points races, Montoya loses title, so not sure how he can complain about double points races when he got double points for winning Indy.

He ran into his teammate with the title at stake, how can anyone be pissed off at anyone but themselves when they ram a teammate for no reason and cost themselves the championship.

He had the title in hand, screwed up, and the better man won, plain and simple. And I was rooting for him to make the pass at the end, I wanted him to win the thing, but he blew it. Blaming one flag for costing you the season is a bit petty, so just man up and congratulate Dixon and learn from your mistakes.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

Liked: 210

Hey, hey!

WILL POWER cut in front of Montoya causing the contact. POWER complained more about the double points race after it was over then Montoya did. Montoya did NOT make any negative comments about Power after the race.

Double points race weekends are okay if you have TWO races
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

What I saw - in a completely embarrassing and rookie move Power radically changed his line in mid corner to duck under another car and hit Montoya. Montoya was doing nothing wrong and kept his line.

Brian

22. The following 4 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If I am leading a Championship I hate double points races.

If I am trailing in a Championship they are the greatest thing in the world

As long as they are announced prior to the start of the season, where's the harm? Strategize accordingly.

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default strategize?

what failed on Montoya's car at Iowa?

I watched the vid from above, gives the best angle. Juan is down on the curb and his front wing touches the rear of Powers car, and this is at the apex.

You have to have situational awareness, seeing that Power is getting held up and going to make a move. Why would you put yourself in a position where, if your teammate goes to the apex you are going to clip him. Should have played it safe and not got the wing in there, had not much to gain and everything to lose.

If one of my drivers clips his front wing on the back tire of my other car, he's gonna have some e'splaining to do.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    df.racing@verizon.net

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Well, Dave, I guess the lack of whinging from Power about Montoya's crap driving says that he thinks you are wrong... If he thought it was Montoya's fault we all would know that!

Brian

So does Montoya's lack of whinging about the contact with Power prove me right? LOL
    Last edited by DFR Dave Freitas; 08.31.15 at 5:39 PM.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    df.racing@verizon.net

Liked: 268

Default Sears Point race

What about the Fontana gift to Rahal?

31. The following members LIKED this post:

i cannot believe that Rahal accepted the trophy

he should have been embarrassed

Liked: 146

Zheezus...what a tough crowd. Everyone knew about the point format from the start of the season, and not one team was outraged enough to jump to Champca--oh uh, wait....

Would you guys like a top-10 knockout playoff over the last 5 races, like the most popular U.S. pro race series?

I saw a helluva race. Kanaan was a maniac. Power got dive-bombed, lost all his momentum, was looking for a crossover repass, which Juan never guessed...racin' deal.

Pagenaud...we all know what the Penske team was doing, but how can you penalize the driver? If my crew chief is screaming for me to stop short of my pit, I'm stopping. All you could do is let Newgarten's hose runover slide.

All in all a rousing finale, especially for a series flirting with bankruptcy(?). Best-ever NBCSN TV rating to boot.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

What made me go "What????" was when Montoya said Dixon had a "sheet" season. Face it Montoya, Dixon won more races than you. Montoya is a great driver but he is a hot head and makes mistakes. I am a Dixon fan but my hat is off to whoever wins the title whether it be Montoya, Dixon, Power, Rahal, or whoever. Great race by Dixon and congrats to him.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    .... whoever wins the title whether it be Montoya, Dixon, Power, Rahal......
    Agree, but I'm not sure about Rahal. He seems to be showing some of the arrogance of his father in interviews.

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Agree, but I'm not sure about Rahal. He seems to be showing some of the arrogance of his father in interviews.
    Lemme see here: Hot blond fiancee, full time indycar ride, and a way-cool future father-in-law. What's to be arrogant about?
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

I hope he does marry Courtney Force. John will straighten him out before the wedding!! John is about as far from arrogant as you can get. He's a smart aleck and prankster but down to earth.

Liked: 1417

Default Indycar Sonoma - SPOILERS

Yeah, good looking, intelligent, loaded with talent... he needs a lot of "straightening out." And John Force is one of the last people I would want influencing my son or daughter about anything.

I LOVE JOHN FORCE he is totally frickin crazy!

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Yeah, good looking, intelligent, loaded with talent... he needs a lot of "straightening out." And John Force is one of the last people I would want influencing my son or daughter about anything.
    Force is certainly a character, but his game is simply outspending and out-intimidating everybody. He led the generation of drag racers who would melt a $100,000 motor to find another hundredth, every round if need be. If they ever decide to stop manicuring strips like a 1000ft. sheet of flypaper, he and his brood will actually have to learn to drive and his crew chief will have to learn to tune, beyond "Is there a higher nitro mix than 100%?" That would get rid of the Saudi sheik's wives too, if the economy already hadn't....
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

John Force is one upstanding guy at least as his public persona. Never heard him be anything but totally enthusiastic about EVERYTHING and way over the top happy.

Racing needs more with positive attitudes in the public eye. IMO.

He has accomplished stuff that no one will ever come close to beating. And yet he wears the same grubby suit every time I see him. But this year it doesn't say Castrol.

He lost forever sponsor and didn't whine, but thanked them for all their support over the years and dug in and found another one.

Doesn't get any better than that.

That is the best kind of influence one can have on your child.

In case anyone wonders I am a big John Force fan when I watch drag racing.

43. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information