Thread: Trailer

Liked: 9

Default Trailer

Ben wanted me to post a picture of my trailer to see if anyone know where he could get one.
    http://markm.zenfolio.com/p501676539/e53b5f4b1
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Nice design. Overkill for a Formula Ford, but they did mention custom as possible.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Banned
    Liked: 1116

http://www.trailermantrailers.net/pd...%20Trailer.pdf

Here's a lighter-duty model.

Just google "single axle tilt trailer" and see what comes up. Most manufacturers will have dealers somewhere within an hour or two of the bay area.

Liked: 80

Thanks Mark,

Marks trailer is a very nice well built light FF type trailer, I've been looking to lighten up my towing package, right now an F250 with a 460 engine and a over kill open trailer. So any info you all my have on well built light weight FF type trailer would be welcome.

Ben

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by brncaprixr4ti View Post
    T...well built light weight FF type trailer...
    I've had pretty good luck with my Aluma 7210:

All aluminum, 450 pounds dry. When I started, my only tow car was a Mazda 3, so I had to save every pound. No tilt needed, as you can just crank up the tongue jack to tilt the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post

All aluminum, 450 pounds dry. When I started, my only tow car was a Mazda 3, so I had to save every pound. No tilt needed, as you can just crank up the tongue jack to tilt the bed.
    Excellent. I might want to modify the ramp, but love the weight.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by brncaprixr4ti View Post
    Thanks Mark,

Marks trailer is a very nice well built light FF type trailer, I've been looking to lighten up my towing package, right now an F250 with a 460 engine and a over kill open trailer. So any info you all my have on well built light weight FF type trailer would be welcome.

Ben
    Ben, If I find a small lighter trailer I like, mine may be ava.
    Mark

So you can back your car off this trailer with out it hooked to the tow vehicle? Can you drive the car onto the trailer? Do you know tongue weight with this setup?
    I am pretty interested in this unit.
    FF looks like an early, maybe mid 90's Van Diemen.
    Mark
    Last edited by mwizard; 08.18.15 at 11:53 PM.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Ben wanted me to post a picture of my trailer to see if anyone know where he could get one.
    http://markm.zenfolio.com/p501676539/e53b5f4b1
    Mark
    That looks like an older IRD trailer. They were well made and light. If you get a tilt bed, recommend a bit longer than the car so you can position the car to balance the trailer and tongue weight. Mine is 7x12 and works well.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Can you drive the car onto the trailer?
    Sure. There's about an inch of room on either side of the tires, so you have to be slow/careful. But I usually just roll the car up by hand (need to get a winch!).

I also have a pretty low ride height, so I use a set of extension ramps as well:

So you can back your car off this trailer with out it hooked to the tow vehicle?
    Correct. Unhook, chock tires, raise tongue jack, add extension ramps, roll car off.

Do you know tong(sp) weight with this setup?
    When I pull up from both ends, it feels almost perfectly balanced. Not a lot; likely a little under the recommend 10%. 75 pounds maybe? I really need to drag the scale out there and test it.

FF looks like an early 90's Van Diemen.
    It's a 1998.

Sure. There's about an inch of room on either side of the tires, so you have to be slow/careful. But I usually just roll the car up by hand (need to get a winch!).

I also have a pretty low ride height, so I use a set of extension ramps as well:

Correct. Unhook, chock tires, raise tongue jack, add extension ramps, roll car off.

When I pull up from both ends, it feels almost perfectly balanced. Not a lot; likely a little under the recommend 10%. 75 pounds maybe? I really need to drag the scale out there and test it.

It's a 1998.
    Thank you. How do you carry the extra ramps? Mine is about 1.5 in clearance.
    Mark

Liked: 183

Both Ben and Mark see my trailer that I tow with. It's an alumina 8112. The trailer is 600lbs and has a 7x12 dimensions. The trailer sides are removable and with the right ramps, I can drive the race car onto the trailer with no trouble at all. Never had any issues towing with this trailer, except sometimes you forget it's back there.

How do you carry the extra ramps?
    I carry them exactly like chrisw52, between the tires and trailer sides, strapped to the tires. His setup is almost identical to mine, just with a larger trailer deck.

Thread Information