Thread: Spec Tires

Liked: 58

Default Spec Tires

Lots of talk about 'em on the forums these days. I think they are great. Tired of the blow hard BS? Come on in, the water's fine....

www.formula-first.org

Doug FST 5

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 53

Default spec tires

Doug:
    With the FF spec tire program taking shape how will it affect F first? Will you guys run their spec tire? Or keep your tire program as is?

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    Lots of talk about 'em on the forums these days. I think they are great. Tired of the blow hard BS? Come on in, the water's fine....

www.formula-first.org

Doug FST 5
    There is no one to swim with
    Mark Filip

Default Want to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by gbmetcalf View Post
    Doug:
    With the FF spec tire program taking shape how will it affect F first? Will you guys run their spec tire? Or keep your tire program as is?

G.
    I guess we'll have to see how the FF thing shakes out but I think the FST crowd wants to stay with the Hoosier CF tire as long as we can.

Doug FST 5

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Default I hear you Mark

You are a long tow from many series races. There are some cars near you but they don't run many races per season.

Doug FST 5

Liked: 27

Default Stay with what we have

It works why change it. My two cents but our tire bill with Hoosier for the two cars should allow us to have an opinion and a spokesperson for advocating a spec tire for any class.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 50

Not sure of Mark's tire usage, but he may almost save enough $ on tires to pay for the extra drive to FST events.....
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Not sure of Mark's tire usage, but he may almost save enough $ on tires to pay for the extra drive to FST events.....
    I manage 1 set per season 5-6 weekends.

For me it would not be worth the travel to race with 10 cars. Guess we are spoiled in the NE
    Mark Filip

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    I manage 1 set per season 5-6 weekends.
    Then you are correct. With that kind of wear why all the discussion on spec tires? Not many (if any) spec tires are going to do much better when you consider the price...
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Then you are correct. With that kind of wear why all the discussion on spec tires? Not many (if any) spec tires are going to do much better when you consider the price...
    Because no one wants to take the time to set the car up correctly and the time to manage tires correctly. Also I do not run any majors so a few tenths towards the end of the tires life just forces me to drive better.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 830

Because no one wants to take the time to set the car up correctly and the time to manage tires correctly
    Don't say NO ONE .... quite a few of us do just that!
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 27

Default We do set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Ask Larry Campbell, Jim Schings,& Rob Clark how many hours we spend on set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Your right

Ill change my statement to

Because some do not want to take the time to set the car up correctly and the time to manage tires correctly
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by rave motorsports View Post
    Ask Larry Campbell, Jim Schings,& Rob Clark how many hours we spend on set up.
    You guys are experienced

During a race weekend I may adjust this and move that but in no way do I slave over my car. This only can happen once a car is sorted no matter what class. A lot of people do not take the time to do this and expect the tires to last. I have seen rock solid front ends, shocks with rust water coming out, bend rod ends, bump steer that would ruin tractor tires and for some reason some not all complain. If you take good tires not 5 year old throw aways someone gave you and set the car up properly I do not think there would be as much talk about tires.
    Mark Filip

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 49

Because no one wants to take the time to set the car up correctly and the time to manage tires correctly. Also I do not run any majors so a few tenths towards the end of the tires life just forces me to drive better.
    Pretty funny to, on the same line, brag about spending time on a good setup but then dismiss "a few tenths" as if it's nothing. Perspective is a wonderful thing. On the note of perspective - some folks have nothing but Majors to run.

I wish I had the luxury of relaxing in my car for the first 2 or 3 weekends and then "really" focus hard on driving when the tires go bad

I don't understand how people read something totally different than what is actually stated.

This may explain a lot of things.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 56

Jim
    You are exactly right! Like Mark stated, many of us in the northeast run one set of Hoosiers for the year and have little difficulty running at the front. We have taken the advice of Steve and Mike V, and managed ours tires down to the wear indicators with little performance drop. It's refreshing to hear two top national champions share their experience and it matches many of us in the NE. Although a longer lasting spec tire might be nice, what we currently have is pretty darn good! Tiago, you'll have to put some new belts in your car and move to Boston

Thread Information