Liked: 43

Default Citation SF88 – SOLD

I am looking at letting my 1988 Citation go to a new owner. It has been a wonderful car for me to get my feet wet in open wheel racing. The only reason I am selling it is to run in the competitive FF series we have in Canada (Ontario and Quebec). The car itself has been dead reliable, predictable to drive, easy to setup, and draws lots of attention and positive comment in the paddock. It has the ubiquitous 2L Ford Pinto engine and a Staffs Magnesium case transmission. The suspension has been updated over the years to suit improvements in tire technology. Also has AIM XG-Log data system (rear wheel speed, RPM triggered from magnet on pulley (stable signal), water temp, TPS, oil pressure, & steering position).

In 1993 SCCA and Formula Continental icon Dave Weitzenhof won Run-offs with this car. It is the predecessor to his current car and I understand from Steve Lathrop that this car was the test bed to develop the later chassis and suspension developments. Weitzenhof (“the king of open wheel racing”) was featured in this car in the SCCA calendar (2014?). And just last week a cool video was recently posted on YouTube showing highlights from the 1991 runoffs with this car running near the front. The FC race starts at 1:16:50.

Very few cars have the history of this one.

The following has been done to the car over the past few years:
    • Engine Refreshed 3 weekends & 2 practice days ago (550 miles) by a well-known (semi-retired) engine builder in Canada (as of August 2015):
    • ---New Bearings – spring 2015
    • ---Total Seal Rings – spring 2015
    • ---Ivey Valves – new spring 2015
    • ---Kent Cams adjustable Timing Pulley – spring 2014
    • ---JE Ford Racing Pistons
    • ---Oliver Rods
    • ---Uprated elite camshaft[/INDENT][/INDENT]
    • New FAG (Made in Canada) front wheel bearings – spring 2015
    • New interior panels – spring 2015
    • New custom fuel cell (Harmon) – spring 2014
    • Penske triple adjustable shocks rebuilt by Steve Lathrop – spring 2014
    • Car totally rewired with new switches – spring 2014
    • New standard Van Diemen Aluminum Radiators and Surrounds (see photos) – spring 2014
    • -New sidepod floors in 3/8 Baltic birch plywood (needed ballast) – spring 2014
    • New Battery (Deka ETX18L) – spring 2014
    • Pertronix II from Quicksilver – spring 2014
    • 14 new Aurora suspension rod ends – 2014 & 2015
    • Starter Rebuilt – spring 2014
    • Machined new Rad filler neck and thermostat housing – spring 2014
    • Rebuilt shift linkage with machined aluminum bearing carrier – spring 2013
    • Lots of other little bits replaced/improved over the years I have owned it.

The if this car doesn’t sell the following things are on my list to update / replace over the winter;
    • Repaint the bodywork – it looks fine from 100’ but is starting to show its age up close (6/10)
    • New rear wheel bearings (no slop, but age is unknown)
    • Rebuild calipers (no issues, but history is unknown)
    • Purchase Lightened flywheel
    • New fire bottle (current one meets all requirements (i.e. reads “full” and weight is good) it just looks old)

Spares/Tools include:
    • All setup documentation and reference information.
    • 3 sets of Jongbloed 3-piece wheels (+ 1 front & 1 rear)
    • ---1 set on Goodyear Rains
    • ---2 sets on Hoosier R35’s
    • 10 additional gear ratios (14 total)
    • Original rear wing
    • High down force rear wing element
    • Spare front wing
    • Front nose cone (needs work)
    • Misc. belts, hoses, spark plugs, gaskets, coils, wires, etc.
    • Pinion nut wrench (for Staffs Transmission)
    • Quick Jack for rear
    • Blue paint and primer for bodywork (if you like blue… if not, I’ll keep it.)

The car has 2015 annual Tech’s from both SCCA and CASC and I recently got a new logbook (I am the 4th owner). I have been racing this car primarily in the Formula Libre class in Canada (Mosport, Calabogie, & Mont Tramblant), but ran my first SCCA event last month at Watkins Glen. I also believe this car would be vintage eligible – especially with its history.

ASKING $15,500 USD - FIRM

I love the car and have absolutely no problem continuing to race the car if it doesn’t sell. In the mean time I will continue to race and maintain the car as if I were keeping it.

The following body-off photos were taken during the “winter rebuild” in the spring (April 2015). I plan to get more recent photos as I prepare the car for an upcoming race at Mosport at the end of September.

I am also happy to help perspective buyers with import/export and possibly transportation.

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited by Bill Bonow; 10.03.15 at 9:57 AM.
    1972 Mallock MK12 F3 (ex-Ray Mallock / Alf Zeller)

https://www.facebook.com/ZellerRacing

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

This is helping to grow the F2000 Canada championship... though I believe that plane has crashed into the mountain immediately following take-off so you might as well go F1600, maybe I'll see you there?...
    aaron

Default F2000 Championship

I would have loved to have seen at least 1 other "Class-B" car to race against... Sadly none ever showed up so I just ran in F-Libre. At least I had a few guys to race against.

Racing is too time consuming and expensive to spend my 3-4 race weekends a year driving around by myself.

Who knows what the future holds.

Liked: 39

Default Nice Car - Why........

Why do so many of the Citations end up in Canada so far away from me. I think I'd love to have one but sadly there are not many to be had out here on the US West Coast. If someone does have one for sale out west let me know.

TDF

P.S. Good luck with the sale, shipping to me puts the price out of reason for my needs.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

I nearly bought this car that last time it was for sale.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Default Citation

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    I nearly bought this car that last time it was for sale.
    Sounds like you owe it to your self to see what you missed out on!

In all seriousness, I think it's a great car that would make a very competitive regional racer or vintage car with a pedigree. As the season comes to a close I'll be more open to offers below my asking price.

I plan to start preparing the car for a Mosport race at the end of September this weekend. I'll be able to take some fresh photos as I get the car apart.

Cheers, Alex

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Yank off the wings, get some narrower wheels and bolt in a Kent! I did that very thing 23 years ago on a Reynard. One of the best FFs I ever drove. Consider it.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 610

Default SF88 Citation

Too bad you are not closer to us, the GLC Series for FC and CFC, has cars you can race against.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Too bad you are not closer to us, the GLC Series for FC and CFC, has cars you can race against.
    Ontario to Michigan/Ohio?... I wish I had that commute!... try Nova Scotia to VIR or Road Atlanta...
    aaron

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 610

Default 88 Citation

Quote Originally Posted by a. Pettipas View Post
    ontario to michigan/ohio?... I wish i had that commute!... Try nova scotia to vir or road atlanta...
    ouch !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    Yank off the wings, get some narrower wheels and bolt in a Kent! I did that very thing 23 years ago on a Reynard. One of the best FFs I ever drove. Consider it.
    That's defiantly something I'll consider if it doesn't sell. At this point i'd like for it it to be kept as a FC due to it's history. However, the longevity of the Toyo tires is a big reason I want to make the switch to FF/F1600. It all but eliminates tires as a performance variable - that's a huge deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    I wanted to run Mid-Ohio with you guys this year but the schedule didn't workout for me (went to the Glen instead). You guys are just a bit too far away from Ottawa to run the series with any regularity. If I still have the car next year I'll try again to make a Mid-ohio race. It's a bucket list track for me. In the mean time if you know anyone who wants a very good CFC car I know where to find one.

Thanks to all for your interest in the car/thread.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 08.25.15 at 5:53 PM.

Default Photos

I finally got around to taking some better photos as I prep the car for her next outing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ajaz...n%20For%20Sale

For what it's worth, it didn't actually take much to clean it up after the glen. So the condition in the photos is very representative.

She looks far better naked than dressed...

I have also decided to race the car once more this year at Mosport on September 26/27 weekend. The car will be available again after that event.

Thanks for looking!!
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 09.05.15 at 9:49 PM.

Default Price drop !!

End of Season Price Drop. NOW $15,500 USD!!!!

-- Full Disclosure --
    We ran the car at Mosport last weekend and a bolt came loose from the carb and the engine ingested a small #10 washer. Thankfully the washer passed through without doing any real damage. It did a great job a de-carbonizing #1 cylinder and made a few marks on the top of #1 piston (as viewed through the plug hole). Everything was running fine and all cylinder still had great compression (>100psi warm), and the engine pulled as strong as always. I think we dodged a bullet. We raced the car for another 45 mins that and had the same power up the back straight so I suspect everything is fine.

In any case, I'll be pulling the head in Late October/November to assess any damage. I will post photos when I can.

Other than that the car ran great. I ran quicker than I have ever run before on tires with >10 cycles on them. I suspect with new tires we would be very competitive.

Liked: 42

Default FC Turnout

I'm in the process of a ground up restoration on a 97Rf Van Diemen with the intent of racing vintage events. There were 5 FC's at the July Road America event. I had been vintage racing S2's until two years ago with the thought of hanging it up. Couldn't do it and discovered the FC's are ridiculously cheap compared to the S2's and more car in my opinion. I know three other folks from vintage ford who have just within the last month bought FC cars albeit older cars. We have discussed using the Toyos as a spec tire to make this endeavor even more appealing to us. Lest you worry about the potential level of competition at these events let me tell you the S2 group is incredibly deep and extremely fast, thus the high cost of those cars. In the formula ford group I doubt there's anyone reading this who can beat either Ryen Lewis or Wade Cunningham, both part time Indy car drivers who routinely show at Road America and Indy to compete in the SVRA events at RA and Indy.VIR has over 35 S2's registered for the fall event.FC has the potential to attract similar numbers. Food for thought. It would be fun to start seeing 10-15 cars at these events next spring. Let me know if anyone thinks there's more I could do to encourage those who are disappointed in SCCA to get their cars out and to increase their value. Pat D.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

VARA was the first vintage organization to allow Pinto FCs, waaaay back in 2004 (I brought the first one). We had eleven active drivers in the 2008-ish timeframe and I was pretty much the sole survivor until I moved east for a couple of years in July.

The problem with SVRA right now is the classing of the cars. 2L Air-cooled and 1600 WC FSVs are FC, but Pinto cars are classed in F2, as are all the RT5s regardless of displacement and wheel size.

Lap times for all FCs other than 1800's with EFI and Atlantic tires are more in the FB range, but SVRA seems to have just two formula groups - unwinged, and winged. If there was more than the handful of Fc cars coming out, maybe there's a chance to create a third group, perhaps with the S2000s mixed in - but they already stack the weekends full of enduros for the beloved Group six and other sedans and big sports racers.

Agree there's a potential for a huge class with appropriate cost controls. Those 10 guys in VARA left for every reason in the world - I can only think of a couple directly tied to the economy. I think one advantage to vintage is the lower level of carnage. However, SVRA and VARA are probably the only two clubs that would be interested, the rest for the most part are stuck in pre-1972 mindsets.

Frankly, vintage is where all the pinto cars need to be, but that's easy on the west coast where you can run a full season from LA and never have more than a 4 hr tow to Buttonwillow, willow springs, vegas, chuckwalla, fontana, and willow springs. If you wanted to push a bit farther there's INDE, thunder hill, Laguna, and firebird.

East coast though, although there's 11 SVRA races, no repeat venues, and there are only three that are relatively close together - Indy, RA, Mid-ohio. The rest span from Homestead to watkins glen and VIR to Austin. Pretty tough for the weekend warrior to put together a four or five race season without several days off for towing.

I love running with SVRA west coast, but I'm still on the fence about the east. The people are great, but I don't think I'm their target demographic (and if you don't have an F2/FA/Lites you probably aren't ).

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Sorry for the hijack, Alex.....

Liked: 42

Alex, for what it's worth, I forwarded your post to a friend in Minneapolis looking for an FC to move up from a ford in vintage racing. Who knows?

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Vintage

Thanks Pat!

I think this car would be one of the best Vintage FC cars you could ever hope to have. If it doesn't sell I'll likely take it to a vintage race myself next year. It's also one of the reasons I don't want to convert it to a FF/F1600 car. I would not be surprised to see it selling for $30K+ in 10 years.

If it doesn't sell by March then I will take it off the market and race it again myself.

I really love the Citation but a FF car on Toyo tires is a more attractive package for me to be competitive. In Formula Libre (CASC), I'm competing against Formula Renault's (195bhp), ported Formula Mazda's, and Stohr's.... on tires that I buy used and run until they turn blue.

Cheers

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1878

This is an excellent car. Owned originally by DW, then bought by Ken Johnson in the spring of '94. Maintained by me for the duration of Ken's ownership. Lots of small upgrades and mods over that time (never mind everything that DW did to it previously) - mostly just to get the car to fit Ken correctly and be easier to drive at his level.

The only thing I would double check from what Alex has written is the fit of the front wheel bearings. The FAG replacement wheel bearings are .002" oversized ( at least, every one Ive seen is oversized) - FAG expected that the OEM housings for them would be stretched by the time the bearings needed replacement. I do not remember whether I rebored the uprights or not - usually I just chucked the bearing up in the lathe and ground the OD down to the correct nominal dimension and left the upright as stock. The oversized bearings will indeed go into the upright bearing bore, but with the extra squeeze, the bearing will have a lot of extra drag.

Default Wheel bearings

Thanks for bringing that up Richard.

I pulled the wheel bearings and replaced with NOS (Made in Canada) units sourced through ebay. These were a direct replacement for what was in the upright with the same OD. I popped off the seals washed out the grease and replaced it with Redline grease. I was happy with the quality of steel in the NOS bearings but was worried about the old grease.

They have been working great all year and do not show any additional drag when hot (after a long session) or cold.

Cheers

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It's also one of the reasons I don't want to convert it to a FF/F1600 car.
    Cheers
    I wanted to come and see you on the weekend but got busy helping Mike Lee. Always nice to see the car out.

Good luck wth sale.
    Last edited by old 59; 09.29.15 at 7:14 PM. Reason: I have my reasons...
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 56

Alex,

I am very interested in your car, but I am totally unfamiliar as to what it will take to get it across the US/Canadian border. Can anyone on the thread give some guidance?

Thanks,

Glenn Bilawsky
    Austin, Texas

Default Import/ export

Glenn,

I just flipped you a PM with some links for you to look at.

I had expected that I will be fully involved in whatever is required to help get this car exported/import to the US. I would be more than happy to do it.

The previous owner to me was a huge help when I was importing it. It really helped make the purchasing experience so much easier. I hope I can help in the same way now.

Whatever is needed let me know.

Cheers, Alex

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by gbilawsky View Post
    Alex,

I am very interested in your car, but I am totally unfamiliar as to what it will take to get it across the US/Canadian border. Can anyone on the thread give some guidance?

Thanks,

Glenn Bilawsky
    Austin, Texas

Glenn, do a key word search for words like 'canada' 'canadian' 'import' 'export', and you should find several threads on this very topic.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 56

Thanks all. Alex and I are discussing potential solutions.

Liked: 1403

Default US Customs.

Getting the car south of the Canadian border should not be any issue at all. If you need any paperwork, I can attest to the US origins of the car as it came out of my garage and I was the person who built it with the help of my staff.

The trick is to make the proper paper work so that the car can, if necessary, go back across the boarder and not be hit for duty a second time.

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Sold

car has sold!

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1878

Alex should just drive it across the border himelf, and just say that he is either going to a race, or that it is going to a specialty shop for winter maintenance.

Whatever you do, don't bring it across yourself, saying that you just bought it!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

You guys do realize that customs agents do know how to use google, and that this thread will come up as soon as they do. Sensitive advice should be given by PM or email.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Thanks!

It turns out the car will be staying in Canada after all. No need to worry about all that.

Thread Information