Thread: Formula Vees???

Liked: 6

Default Formula Vees???

Brand new to Phoenix. Love what you have done to bring open wheel back from the brink. Coming from Michigan the only strong open wheel class was VSCDA Vintage Racing for Formula V. 25-30 car fields. I see with Pro AutoSports and "the series" FF is very strong AZ /CA area. I am bringing 3 vees with me but see very little FV car count in general and none in ProAutoSport. Are the bad fit or not welcomed. Do I have to get a Ford? If so, where is the location of all the West Coast VEES. Some kind of central boneyard near area 51? What ever light you can shine on the subject would be great. Rich Styczynski 586-292-0820, West Coast Regional Vee racer 1986-87 when the fields were 25-35 cars.

Liked: 323

Default AZ contact

Contact the guys at this place and they can give you some guidance about running in Arizona.

http://eformulaford.com/

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

I have been running with ProAutoSports on and off for 15 years. Vees are welcome, there just aren't any running for a long time. There was a small group of FSTs for a while, counts up to 4 or 5 per weekend, but it fizzled out to zero for the last year or two. One may show up here and there. With the treaded tires, running costs for FFs are no more than Vee and more speed. Some feel FF is a better value with ProAutoSports.

Liked: 1112

Speculation is that Fitz quit bringing out his FST when EFF moved from crappy Sumitomo tires to the more grippy Toyo or Yokohama options and he could no longer dice with us. A Vee driver might be even more frustrated.

That said, ProAutoSports welcomes anyone and everyone, and would certainly find a way to fit you into a run group somewhere.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 58

Default fv

Rich:

Your largest FV only group would be in California running vintage with VARA. They do allow modern cars as a class within the FV group. Sometimes 8-10 cars depending on location and time of year.

SVRA is also very active now in S. California but that is vintage running monoposto rules ( tires and fan and oil cooler). They too allow VARA members to participate in some of their events running VARA configuration

Hope this helps

Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Why no Vee racing in Az

Rich, as outlined above your cars are very welcome in pro-auto but you are not likely to see other vee's.
    There is a race coming up Labor Day weekend in Wilcox at Inde Motorsports ranch, you should drive down and meet the group( a super bunch of guys and gals).The rest of the season will be at tracks in the Phoenix valley.

I recently got back into racing and had looked into Vee cars for a few years. I talked to some of the guys that had raced FV in SCCA including Gene Peterson who loved Vee's and raced nationally, I was told they had fairly good fields before the recession at some point Phoenix International Raceway did away with their infield road course which was one of their main tracks, also heard complaints about tire costs..... Meanwhile FF racing was taking off with Pro-Autosports Eventually I started back to racingwith an FST roller I refurbished but am now transitioning to eFF for the great competition and close by tracks.
    Hope to see you at the track. Jeremy

Liked: 6

Thanks everyone. My brother Bill is running my 1972 Lynx B with VSCDA this weekend at Grattan in Michigan. 8-9 Formula Fords and 29 FV's. I will have to consider the switch to FF considering the 800-1000 Mile round trip to race in CA adds up and then I will still only have a handful of Vees running in 3 FV Classes. I love what the FF group has done in this area, very similar to VSCDA in the Midwest. My brother who has raced modern vees (that doesn't sound right does it?) for 30+ years is really enjoying the car, which of course is on spec vintage tires. I believe it comes back to close, large fields, in cars that are reasonably priced to run is fun racing. Spending $800 or whatever it is now for new tires a weekend to have a chance doesn't add up to me. It sounds your series is very good. Besides a FF "might" look better in the garage!! Thanks, Rich Styczynski

Liked: 1112

Come check us out. It's a long haul down to INDE for the next event, worth the trip for us but probably not just to see the scene. We're back up in the Valley in October:

http://www.eformulaford.com/schedule-results?page=1

The racing is great, and Lisa's hospitality is better.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information