Liked: 100

Default Pittsburgh Round 3 highlights

Well round three of the Challenge Cup is complete and what a weekend. Thank you to all 17 drivers who took part.

The new layout drew raves from all involved and created some of the best racing we have seen all season. New member Brian Farnham came out of the box on Saturday ready for the challenge and created some the weekends most memorial moments. Brian won Saturdays race followed by Matt Garwood and Jack Maloney also competing for the first time this season.
    Chris Elwell established the new lap record in race one. This after flying in Thursday night from Europe and then driving through the night from Kentucky to complete.

In the masters race Dean Curtis won followed by Ray Carmody and Steve Kwasnik.

Sunday brought sunny skies again and more great racing. In what is being call " the pass" Brian Farnham passed Matt on the outside of turn 8 for the race lead on the last lap which lead to a drag race with Matt edging Brian by inches at the line. Chris Elwell finishing third after a great drive from the back. Brian lowering Chris's time to establish the new lap record during race 2.

In masters Dean swept the weekend followed by Ray and Johan Wassermann in third.
    It should also be noted the wins were the first car race wins for both Brian and Matt, but I am sure they will not be the last. There was great tight racing throughout the grid in both races with the odd spin but no crashes so we applaud all drivers for your level headedness and professionalism.
    For full race results go to challengecupseries.com

Looking forward to the next round this weekend at Pocono.
    DERM

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Default Great Show!

I was busy during the 3 races but watched the initial qualifying session and listened to the races. It was a really good show as there were enough cars to keep your attention. The cars were well turned out and looked great with the wheel/tire package.

I thought the track was a really good match for the Challenge Cup cars, certainly from a spectator perspective. FVs can look slow from some viewing areas at some tracks, but that was not the case here. From a driver's perspective, there are 4 good passing zones, but at the same time, there is enough twisty stuff that good driver.car packages will definitely be able to break the draft, certainly breaking into small packs.

I have been involved with radial street tires on FVs since I was a teenager, but I never thought I would see a stand-alone Formula Vee race on radial street tires in the USA. As recently as last year, I would not have believed it was possible. It is a massive accomplishment and all involved deserve a round of clap!

Great show guys!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 47

Default You Should Have Been There!

Kudos to the Challenge Cup Series B.O.D and all those involved in putting on a first class event this past weekend at PIRC!
    The organization, awards presentation, trophies, prize drawings and the Saturday evening smorgasbord were all first class.
    The new track layout made for some awesome Vee racing (and spectating) and the PIRC staff and facilities were impressive (A.C. in the bathroom?!!).
    The icing on the cake was the great camaraderie and sportsmanship shown by all throughout the entire weekend.
    If you have a Vee sitting in the garage and have given up on racing because of the costs and enjoyment factor, it's time to reconsider that decision.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 100

Greg Rice
    You have been a great supporter of the Vees for many years so to hear your comments means a lot. Thank you for all you have done to support the class, and for those who do not know Greg, Do yourself a favor and talk to him he has more insight into racing in North America then most.

Thanks Greg for all you do for racing
    DERM

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information