Liked: 63

Default Phoenix Lynx Update

I don't know if this is the right place for this. If not please let me know.
    As some of you know I acquired a early lynx FV this week. My plan is to do a first rate restoration on this car. And some have ask that I update the progress. So this is my attempt at doing that.
    I am call this a Junk Yard Cat as it was at a salvage yard.

Tues 7/28/2015
    It’s 6:30 am and just got a text from Joe in Phoenix that the Vee is mine if I want it.

This is a deal I have been talking him with for several days. At first we were talking about a trade. That did not work out for him so now it became a cash deal. I had talked to him Monday night about 5:00pm and he said that someone was suppose to let him know by 5:30. I guess that did not happen. I told him that I was a serious buyer and had cash. So please let me know.

So I hooked up my trusty Harbor Freight trailer (with diamond plate deck) to my well used Chevy HHR. 2006 and only 227,845 miles on it! And was on the road by about 7:15 for the 350 mile drive to Phoenix.

I figured by the time I hit Indio the banks would be open and I could stop for gas and get the cash.
    I got to Phoenix about 2:00 drove right to the “shop” it was a salvage yard. So I guess that makes this Lynx a junk yard cat!

Met Joe and Mike both nice guys and very open and honest about the car and the deal. According to Mike he acquired the car several years ago. A friend had bought it. Got divorced and said he would never get around to it and gave it to Mike. Of course many years later and he has no time for it so time for a new home. Been there done that myself.
    They had told me that to motor would not turn over so I had no idea what I was in for but the deal was still good enough for my plans. Use it as a donor for the RCA I was going to build.

So now we had to load it. I had them remove the tires and put them in the back of my HHR loaded the nose in the HHR and the main body would not fit. But the body fastener were there so we just attached to the frame. Then hoested the car with the fork lift by the roll bar and set it on a pallet on the trailer.

I have to tell you with no tires and the suspension sticking out it looked like a cat alright. One that was flattened on the road as I was coming in to Phoenix.LOL

So now another 350 back home. No issues coming back home. But I did feel a sense of satisfaction feeling I had scored a pretty good deal. And all the way home I was thinking about the Lynx. This car was too good and too complete to use as a donor so a change of plan. I am going to restore it to it proper glory. The RCA will have to wait.

I got home about 9:00pm and back the trailer into the garage where it would spend its first night in its new home.

Of course now the hard part. I had to tell my wife that her new Toyota Avalon would have to stay outside so a car that had been sitting outside in a junk yard for the past 20 years was in her spot!
    Hardest sell of the whole deal!

I did discover the SCCA number on the Role Bar. As this car no longer has the log book I was told by a friend that I may be able to get it re-issued. The number is 28-065. If anyone can shed any light on this please contact me.

Wednesday 7/29/2015
    First things first. With the new plan I had to find a place for the RCA. Good news. Its nothing but a bare frame. So for now its ceiling art! Yep! hung from the ceiling! Space is a premium around here. Remember wife’s car wants it spot back!

So now my son in law came over and helped me get the Lynx off the trailer. I don’t have a fork lift but do have a engine cherry picker. Yep! that will work. And as it happends I have a Harbor Freight 1,000 pound motor cycle life that just became a Formula Vee Lift! I am way to old be to crawling around on the ground so this is requirement in my book. It lifted it with no problem and just insert the safety rod so in the event of a pump failure you don’t find yourself like that cat in Phoenix.

So now lets figure out what is good and what is less than good.
    Good news first.

Fire bottle is fully charged and although it is Halon I am told it will suffice.
    Quick Release on the steering wheel is good.
    Intake manifold has a VeeTech sticker. Yea I know but one can hope.

Bad News.
    Fuel Cell is junk…totally falling apart.
    but like you the motor is what we really want to know about.
    So I pop the right side valve cover and wow! clean as a whistle! There is hope after all! The rocker look great. everything looks new. Ok lets move forward pull the Exhaust which is in perfect condition by the way. now pull the intake manifold. uh oh I see some rust inside..but not too bad.
    So I pull the head nuts and pull on the head and now there is water running out of it! Not good.
    Wait! I feel it? Its not water and it has a peppermint smell? Anyone know? Yep Marvel Mystery oil! Someone was trying to free up this stuck engine. The head looks great. Low use the pistons and barrels look great! On closer inspection of the head the pad by the intake has 5 X’s over something. Under the X’s I can make out N-O-B-L-E. The heads have been ported so this is all good news!

Ok, now lets check the other side. uh oh…there is some rust on the rockers and shaft. Well maybe its not bad. I start to pull the head and the same oil comes out. That’s good right. Nope! both barrels and heads are full of rust! So now we will have to see if we can salvage the head. it will need new pistons and barrels. There is not enough Mystery oil in the world to fix this!

So now what do we have on the inside of the case. So I pull one of the good barrels and look inside at the rod and crank. Looks good at this point I don’t see any rust. So that’s a good sign but wont know for sure until we get it apart.

Then I look on the top of the case and its stamped VEETECH. So I think at one time this was a decent motor with good parts
    So all and all a good start.

I will try to update as it progresses.
    That’s all for now.

Jeff
    Last edited by socaljeff3798; 10.15.15 at 2:03 PM.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Cool !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 11

Default rust removal

Go to www.archoil.com and buy there water soluble rust remover. I was able to save a spitfire crankshaft by soaking it in this solution. Expensive but cheap in the long run.

Liked: 830

Jeff,
    Looks to me like you got a heck of a good deal. And I wouldn't give up on those pistons and cylinders just yet. You might have to take the rod caps off through the other side to get them off so you can do a good soak. I'd start with a good rinse with kerosene or mineral spirits, followed by soapy water. Dry all and let sit overnight to dry completely. Then bead blast the top of the cylinders and pistons. Then soak with anything you have - ATF I've heard works well. Give it a couple of days. THEN see if you can tap the pistons free.

Looks like the other side has some cylinder wall scoring too (possibly the results of running no air filter - was quite common in those days). Decent chance you can just hone the cylinders and they'll be useable. You'll probably have to remove the rings from the pistons (assuming you can get them out) and clean/bead blast the grooves.

If you can get all that done, there's a good chance you could reassemble and it would RUN for you .

Good luck and keep us up to date.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

i am more worried abut the wife's car

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks guys.
    I will try the Archoil it looks like a good product.
    I will try and update daily.

Jeff

Liked: 310

You might also try a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. It is supposed to be the best anti-sieze around.

Thanks for the tip Lynn.
    I need something that is going to desolve the rust and not hurt the base metal.

Normally I use Muratic acid but that is just when there is steel or iron involved not a good idea when aluminum is there.
    But thanks for the tip.

Jeff

Liked: 27

Default rust

Evaporust works and you dont even need to use gloves. Stuff eats rust but leaves everything else alone. Harbor freight, advance auto and walmart carry it. works overnight.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 04.09.16 at 8:29 AM.

Thursday July 30,2015
    No work today on the Lynx. Had to do some other stuff. I have been cleaning and re-arranging the garage plus finishing the roll around stand for my bead blaster.

I did talk to a few people trying to get smarter on these cars. I talked with Fred Clark and he can make me the correct nose and tail for the car. He has the Z bar in stock so that is helpful. He is going to send me a new seat in mid Augest so I can get a better idea of how I fit and make sure I don’t have to raise the roll bar. I think its ok but better to find out now.

The plan is to make it conform to monoposto rules so the Zero roll kit that was installed will come off.

I am heading to Dallas on Sunday for about a week and a half. My best friend of 35 years is getting re-married so I need to be there. So Mary and I (Mary is my wife) Will make a mini-vacation out of it as well.

I did talk with Bill of Bigger Hammer Racing in Dallas and he invited me to stop by and check things out so that’s a nice bonus. He also has a customer in Houston that has a beautiful , restored Lynx I am going to try and see as well.

Oh one more thing. For Father’s day my wife and kids got me a new 60 gallon compressor. I had been working on getting it installed and that is done.
    Now you may ask what is the big deal with installing a compressor. As most of you know they tend to be very loud and annoying. So I poured a 3 foot by 3 foot pad behind my garage. When to the local hardware and picked up a water heater shed. About $125.00. Insulated the inside with sound deadening material and put my new compressor in there. If you do this be sure and add a exhaust fan to pull the heat out.
    It works great and quiet as a mouse. I have the breaker by my tool box so all I do is flip it on and it turns on the compressor and power to the fan comes on when the compressor starts.

I will try to add pictures tomorrow.

If any one has any questions on this please PM.

One last technical tid bit. If you have a media blasting cabinet put a regulator on your air line and cut your pressure down to 50-80 PSI. If you run higher pressure it just blows air and does not siphon. Another case were less is more. Mine at about 60 psi will give me about a ¾” wide pattern looks like your painting with a brush!

Hopefully, I will be able to get back on it tomorrow.

Jeff

Default Pictures Promised

It has been a very busy day but did get some time to work on the Lynx.
    Mary and I are heading to Dallas tomorrow so I wont be able to work in the Vee but will be back in about a week and a half.
    I am posting pictures of how I did my compressor. This works amazingly well. You can barely here it!
    I would highly recommend it. I am also including pictures of what I call the "redneck dust collector" I cant take credit for it but man it works like a champ and can be made for less than 20 bucks! (shop vac not included and some assembly required).
    If anyone has any questions Please PM me.

JEff
    Last edited by socaljeff3798; 10.15.15 at 2:02 PM.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Saturday Update

Saturday August 1, 2015
    I am getting ready to go to Dallas on Sunday for a week and a half but did manage to get some work done on the Vee.

The rusted head is my main concern. So I had order ArchOil Rust remover someone had suggested on Thursday and paid the $70 bucks for next day delivery knowing if I didn’t it would not get here until I was gone. So Friday morning I realized I did not have any emails about a tracking number. They showed my order but not the shipment. So I called and talk to someone that took my order number and my phone and said he would look into it and call me back. About 2 hours later I got a call from someone saying he was the owner and was on vacation but was told my order had not shipped. He said he was sorry and how soon did I need it. I explained my situation and said what if you got it on Saturday. I said that would be great. Never heard back from anyone. No email or anything and of course Saturday has come and gone and no delivery. I am sure they looked at the cost for a Saturday overnight delivey for one gallon of product and said no way!

So I am filing dispute with paypal and see how it gets resolved. So no I would not recommend them.

So today went to and auto parts store and got a gallon of Evapo rust. Soaked the head for several hours and it removed some of it but all of it. So I decided to go ahead and bead blast it. It removed all the rust and I could now see that the damage is worse than I had hoped. The good news is the ports were not pitted or damaged. So when I get back I will take the heads to my engine builder and see what he things. I am hoping we can remove the seats and weld the damaged areas and re-machine and “port and polish” the chambers back to the original configuration.

While the head was soaking my neighbor came over and helped me pull the engine and trans axle. so that is out. The wiring and dash have been removed and the bulkheads.
    So pretty much a bare frame I just have to take off the front beam when I get back and then can send the frame to be blasted and when it gets back see what needs to be repaired. It does look pretty original. there a few extra holes drilled in various placing but nothing that cant be fixed.
    Also looks like it has a home made "deep sump".

Jeff
    Last edited by socaljeff3798; 10.15.15 at 2:02 PM.

Liked: 58

Ron Chuck in Redwood City is a nationally recognized fv engine builder who would be a good source of info for you. 650.367.7498

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Near San Diego:
    http://www.quixoteracing.com/

I dealt with him when I briefly had a V...

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

Near San Diego:
    http://www.quixoteracing.com/

I dealt with him when I briefly had a V...
    Call Dietmar at Quixote: 619-561-7774

He can help you.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the recommendations. Dietmar has been involved from the very beginning.
    As soon as I get home from Dallas and his schedule allows I will be going down there to take him the motor for a complete rebuild and see what we have.
    He has been very helpful and suggested I buy this Vee in the first place.

Little update on our road trip. Spent Monday night in Santa Fe, NM and then today went down to Albuquerque and went to the Unser Museum. Well worth the time. Lots of very cool cars and history. Even a Novi! A rare bird indeed.

In Amarillo now and will be in Dallas tomorrow.

Thursday I am going visit Bill Griffith on Thursday.

Jeff

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by socaljeff3798 View Post
    Saturday August 1, 2015

Also looks like it has a home made "deep sump".

Jeff
    Looks like a Noble "Top Hat" sump extension. Had one on a used Noble I bought sometime back and a "certain" local engine builder that was going through it, convinced me to change it. Realized later that HE wanted it for HIS motor. Live & learn.

Default New update

Aug 16,2015
    Been a while since last update. We got back from Texas Monday night. Had a great trip and even bought a two acre lot outside of Dallas.
    I got the Lynx frame and front beam stripped down and on Wednesday took it over for sand blasting. I always take everything down to bear metal so I can see what is really there. Then do any repairs that are needed.
    Got the frame back on Friday and discovers a area on each side of the frame where something hand been pop riveted . I think it was the seat. but it was something I had not noticed before the sand blasting. So this is one of the reasons I blast it before repairs. You think you have everything and then send it out of powdered coat and when you get it back you discover it. Not Good!
    While the frame was out I decided to start working on a small project. making a new dash. So I made a template as the original worked but was not real symmetrical. Also I wanted to add a little period look to it so I engine turned it.
    I also got the front arms, spindles, link pins and backing plates blasted so they are ready to go to the powder coater.
    This week I will be welding up all the holes in the frame and cleaning up other parts as well.
    There was some things welded on that was not the best work. so those things will be addressed as well
    You can see there are at of holes in the floor pan and those need to be welded and finished.
    That’s all for now.
    Jeff
    Last edited by socaljeff3798; 10.15.15 at 2:03 PM.

Default project

Looks like your project is moving along just fine. Good work!

Default project

Looks like your project is moving along just fine. Good work!

Default Engine Update.

Got the engine apart today.
    We wound up using a Sawsall to cut the bad cylinders to get them off but that was not a surprise. Of course had I known all you needed to take an engine apart was a Sawsall I would not have wasted all that money on a rollaway tool chest!

Everything inside the motor looked really good. So now it find out about repairing the head or replacing it.

Jeff

Thread Information