Liked: 32

Default Legality of electronic ignition conversion kits

I was hoping some folks could clarify the SCCA rules 9.1.1. Formula Car (FC/FF) Category Specifications; 15. Ford NE series and Pinto Engines; paragraph v. which says
    "Distributors are unrestricted providing they retain the original drive and location. The distributor is defined as the component which triggers the L.T. current and distributes the H.T. current. The Ignition Timing may only be varied by vacuum and/or mechanical means. It is prohibited to use any other method or component to trigger, distribute, or time the ignition."
    So my question is how does electronic ignition conversion comply with the SCCA rules?

Pegasus's website https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=9826 says the product is legal for SCCA FC.

And I see several posts where FC racers have converted points/condenser in the distributor to solid state components such as that made by Petronix so obviously its OK but I must be reading more into the rule statement.
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...nix+Ignitor+II

Clarification would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Liked: 3787

The Petronix resides in a Bosch distributor in the stock location, using the original drive, and is advanced by mechanical means. Thus it is legal.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

It's a bit of nit-picking, but the Ignitor II and III products do some electronic optimization that the original product does not.

Changing dwell @ high RPM and retarding at start being a couple of those.

Liked: 601

Default Electronic

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    It's a bit of nit-picking, but the Ignitor II and III products do some electronic optimization that the original product does not.

Changing dwell @ high RPM and retarding at start being a couple of those.
    In that case, they would not be legal.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

The one for the pinto is an Ignitor I. I know because I wanted an Ignitor II because it's protected against leaving the ignition on and burning it up, but no joy - at least back then they didn't have an ignitor II for the Pinto.

Liked: 1868

The key word, if one were to put forth a defense, is "advanced".

The distributor still "advances" the timing by mechanical means, even if the electronic box "retards" it electronically at times.

However, the electronics would have to do an abrupt and complete dropping of the redarding process to allow the 'advancing" to be only by mechanical means.

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    The key word, if one were to put forth a defense, is "advanced".

The distributor still "advances" the timing by mechanical means, even if the electronic box "retards" it electronically at times.

However, the electronics would have to do an abrupt and complete dropping of the redarding process to allow the 'advancing" to be only by mechanical means.
    Incorrect. The rule states: The Ignition Timing may only be varied by vacuum and/or mechanical means.

You cannot substitute "advanced" for "varied".

Liked: 123

Is dwell part of timing? If so, they all manage dwell electronically.

One group I used to race with, forget which one, had a rule that if it fit under the ignition cap with no external component it was legal. That new Pertronix III is getting pretty sophisticated and fits under the cap...

Brian

Liked: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Incorrect. The rule states: The Ignition Timing may only be varied by vacuum and/or mechanical means.

You cannot substitute "advanced" for "varied".
    i was going strictly by what froggie wrote for the sake of putting forth a hypotheticl argument - I haven't read the rules regarding distributors for maybe 20 years!

Liked: 3787

Since the paragraph in question was written about the same time the ice age glaciers were melting and the only engines in the class were Pintos....

And since the most advanced ignition system in the world is not what is going to make a Pinto have a Zetec duty cycle...

And since said fancy system won't make a 50 year old 2 valve per cylinder tractor motor equal to a modern engine...

I propose someone write the CRB and specify the Pentronics I be made legal in FC... as it has been for 20 years.

Geez... is it January already?

I can tell you that if you show up at a majors race with a pinto, nobody is going to look under the distributor cap. They are going to gladly take your entry and be glad you are filling the field.

This really is an issue for the vintage guys that don't want creep in the vintage engine rules.

Thread Information