Liked: 105

Default Victory for Wang spoils Iamundi’s party...

Victory for Wang spoils Iamunde’s party at Bay of Quinte Grand Prix

Shannonville (July 19, 2015) – On a hot and muggy Sunday at Shannonville Motorsport Park that produced slick on-track conditions, Michael Iamunde won the morning’s race 2 at the Bay of Quinte Grand Prix and looked set to take a weekend sweep in the Millers Oils Formula 1200 Championship – until Phil Wang spoiled his party.

In race 2, the same battle that raged all weekend long between Iamunde and Wang saw the pair trade the lead multiple times. Iamunde was the benefactor when a late-race full-course caution was combined with the checkered flag as course workers retrieved the spun car of Johan Wasserman.

In the afternoon race, the third of the weekend, the final lap alone saw the lead change twice: Iamunde passed Wang going into the back straight, and Wang got him back exiting the same straight and was able to hold on through the last few corners to take the win.

In both of the day’s races, it was Barrett Kingsborough who rounded out the podium.

“We got a first place in the second race of the weekend, and we were hoping to do the same this afternoon,” Iamunde said. “We got held up and didn’t get the win. But it was very fun.”

“He almost pulled it off, but I couldn’t really let him have it,” Wang added. “It was a good race. The three of us took off and kind of made a little train. We were back and forth for the whole race. Mike managed to get me on the last lap, and I returned the favour on the last straightaway. I managed to hold him off until the checkered.

Dean Curtis of East Stroudsberg, Pennsylvania, had a very successful first visit to Shannonville as part of the F1200 Challenge Cup Series. In all three races of the weekend he was the top visiting driver and the top Masters class finisher, making for a weekend sweep in both categories.

Race 3 was particularly entertaining for Curtis. He spent most of the running embroiled in a race-long battle with Matt Garwood, who overcame a blown engine in race 1 and a resulting poor starting position in race 2 to challenge Curtis on Sunday afternoon, ultimately settling for 5th to Curtis’s 4th.

Curtis was elated this weekend to have finally overcome handling issues that have persisted in his car since a significant crash he endured early last season.
    “I’m so happy that the car is back,” Curtis said. “Matt gave me a fantastic run. It was one of the cleanest races I’ve had in years. It was a blast.

“I don’t want to just win the Masters – I want to come up and work these young guys out and take an overall win.”

The next event for the Millers Oils Formula 1200 Championship is on August 1st and 2nd at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 105

Here are some Pictures from the Podium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10253912_920505801329096_5728463972959529643_n.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	54771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11742988_920505874662422_523691661692197869_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	54772  
    Last edited by nbrigido; 09.29.15 at 8:26 PM.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information