Liked: 18

Default 80s Gurney Eagle with Pontiac Stock Block Engine???

General comments regarding ownership experience of this car???

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

? last Blatmobile made I believe. Now owned by Vince Tjmeland and occasionally run with VARA and SVRA.

Yes, comments on this car? Specifically with regard to the stock block setup?

And, what's the difference or relationship between VARA and SVRA?

Others who worked around/on Indy cars in the 80s I hope will chime in here.

It seems to me that when the car was designed for a stock block, then they worked fine. If not, the block twisted too much leading to a lack of longevity for the motor. When folks tried to put subframes around the motor to take the load off, the car got too heavy at the back and didn't handle well.

Gurney's early to mid 80s eagles were all designed for a stock block. The only one I ever saw with a cosworth was Chet Fillip's.

From what I've seen of amateurs running Indy Cars, the stock block setup is far preferable to a turbo set up. Most guys just don't get enough seat time to deal with the power delivery of a turbo car. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree. Plus, the turbo adds considerable mechanical complexity as well.

SVRA on the west coast (the east coast and center of the country is a whole 'nother deal) came out of the purchase of HSR-West, which was started by Ed Swart. Ed was a former board member of VARA. Not sure what politics drove Ed to start his own gig, but he did. SVRA is a for-profit institution, while VARA is not for profit.

The two organizations were pretty competitive with each other until the 2008 financial crisis, when they realized that they couldn't continue pulling entries away from each other. Since 2010 or so, they've been coordinating schedules and working together. From an outsider perspective, it seems that VARA is running the driver's school and events at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs, while SVRA handles Fontana, Pahrump, and other west coast venues.

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 492

VARA is a West Coast club owned by the members. SVRA is a National organization owned by Tony Parella. It operates many of the high profile events in this country. Fontana Vintage Sonoma Historics, Indianapolis Vintage, COTA Vintage etc. This past year they have partnered with VARA for sever events.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Ok thanks...comments on the stock block still welcome....

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

IIRC, Sammy Swindell attempted to qualify a Pontiac stock block powered Eagle about 1983.

The engine I think was built by Sal Butera (sp)

The first car of this particular vintage was run by Michael Chandler. IIRC, his career ended against the front stretch wall off of 4, with some pretty significant head injuries.

I believe "Lil John" Butera was the engine builder, if not him, Ed Pink.

Call Vince! Bob Morris works with him and recently restored Dennis Firestone's rookie car, a stock block eagle a couple of years older. It was running at Indy (with Dennis driving) last month. Bob's work is top notch.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default all i found is that

in the 1984 Indy 500 Kevin Cogan ran a Pontiac powered Eagle

Liked: 80

Liked: 146

Cogan took over the car after Chandler's career-ending head injury in '84 Indy practice. Something broke on the car; Chandler was motoring thru turn 3 and the car just quit turning. Chandler was VERY fast at Long Beach that year. The stock-blocks had their moment. Their finest hours were Mike Mosely's dominant win at Milwaukee and Rocky Moran's epic but fruitless drive at The Glen. Their low-end torque propelled them around street courses very well compared to the balky Cosworths of the time.

The Buttera/Swindell effort was in '87. They gave it all they had, turning dangerous revs for the era just to make the show, but they were the next-to-last car bumped.

Al Unser Jr. campaigned a Cosworth-powered Eagle for the Galles team his rookie '83 year.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 101

Default mike chandler

I was mike's Alpine race coach in the mid 70's I finally told him he wasn't going to make it as a ski racer find a new sport !
    Mike lives in Oregon and does a little vintage racing

DEE
    Penske Ralt Rt 5
    Ralt Rt 41

Yes, I have talked to Vince, obviously he knows a ton about the stock block ownership experience. Just looking for more opinions. Opinions about ownership rather than history so much, although all of that is very interesting.....

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

that is one beautiful race car.....

Thread Information