Liked: 125

Default Michael Argetsinger

I'm deeply saddened to report that we've lost longtime racer, writer and outstanding gentleman Michael Argetsinger. Earlier this year, Mike was scheduled to join us next weekend at the HAWK vintage races in Elkhart Lake to drive my Eagle FF downtown for the concours, but sadly, we will be without our friend.

I first met Mike in 2005 at the KIC at Road America. I knew he was writing a book about Walt Hansgen, and I had just received a photo of Walt in the mail with some other photos I found on eBay. I showed it to Mike, who was there racing Mayer Racing's Cheetah, and he immediately called his publisher, David Bull, to tell him he had found the perfect photo for the introduction page. Mike's book on Hansgen would go on to be a roaring success. It was the first of five (thus far) published books penned by him.

Mike served as a a teammate to me twice, driving our #57 Miata at the Kettle Moraine regional events in 2006 and 2007. Despite the fact our cars were underpowered, he never said anything other than the fact that our cars were among the best he had ever driven. He had a knack for spotlighting the good in things. He may have just been trying to be kind, but he would have never told you otherwise. He was just that kind of person.

It didn't matter if you were a fan of his writing looking for a signature, a pig farmer from Georgia, a PR rep, or a racer; if you were conversing with Mike, you were treated as if you were the most important person in his world at that moment. A rare man.

His passion to preserve racing history helped create the IMRRC in Watkins Glen, and it is without a doubt one of the true gems of motorsports. We've had our cars on display there three times, and whenever we've entered the area, we've always been treated like kings. He'd have it no other way.

Mike was larger than life in many ways. He worked for the Cooper Formula 1 team in the mid-1960s as Jochen Rindt's personal mechanic, raced all over the world, and also did much of the grunt work to help promote the United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.

There was an epic story he once told me about driving a factory-prepared GT40 race car from Ohio to Watkins Glen to help garner publicity for an upcoming GP. Of course, there was no speedometer, and he was pulled over in Pennsylvania for doing roughly double the national highway speed limit for the time. After much debate and anger from the law enforcement officer (whom Mike reinacted with a voice like Boss Hog), Mike got off with a stern warning. In wrapping up the story to me, he ended it warmly with 'Jacques, I really wish you could have been there.'

Same here Michael, same here.

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques N. Dresang
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

RIP and condolences to friends and family.

Relation to Peter?

Liked: 83

Default Thanks

Wonderful tribute, Jacques.

Liked: 11

Wow, last night I picked Michael's "Mark Donohue" book from the shelf for bed time reading, which really fills in the gaps in Marks own book, "The Unfair Advantage" . I met Michael sometime in the mid-1990's when we shared a Formula Mazda on a test day at Blackhawk Farms. Michael had the car in the morning and when I showed up about lunch time Michael had just finished and was talking about how much fun it was and I, being a "real" racer was thinking about how many seconds per lap faster I will be than this "enthusiast". It took me all afternoon but after seeing Jesus several times, I was finally .2 seconds faster, ok, he was a good driver too.

Liked: 280

Default Michael Argetsinger

I am as saddened at this moment as when I lost one of my sisters. Michael was a great, great friend, a great race driver and a super teammate. As Jacques has said, he was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. Mike and I became friends when he was one of my instructors at my first driver school in 1974. We have been friends ever since.

My heart breaks for his wife Lee and for Mike's entire and huge extended family. I have always considered myself as one of the luckiest people on earth because of the wonderful people I have met and become friends with through racing. Today, I feel very, very unlucky because we have lost Mike..........................

Joe Marcinski

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

I first met Michael in 1988 when we raced Peugeot 505's in SSB against each other. He beat me quite regularly! Our friendship really kindled as we shared a mutual friendship with John Mahr, a fellow Showroom Stock racer from Chicago.

Later, in 1998 when John was getting married Michael and I figured out that he could squeeze in an SCCA Regional the same weekend at the Joliet road course. Had to skip qualifying in order to make the wedding. Michael started last Sunday, set a lap record that still stands and won the FF race driving my Reynard 84F over a decent Cendiv field. Great friends John and Kim getting married, great racing, its a memory I cherish to this day.

In 2001 I made the trip from St. Louis to Watkins Glen to run the annual Glen National. Michael was kind enough to open up the family lake house to me and we had a wonderful visit. Yet another memory to hold close.

Our paths haven't crossed in recent years as my work/racing took me one direction and took him another.

Thanks for the wonderful memories my friend.
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 36

Default Michael A.

I dipped deep into some vintage pics I made during the summer of 1979. During this summer I was assisting with Mike's and Joe's joint efforts at the national events in FF. Mike had secured two Lola T540 FFs for the season. While I did my best to screw things up for Mike (once at LRP I failed to torque the wheel nuts), somehow he did manage to drive to some impressive finishes. When I wasn't screwing things up on the car, I took some pics with my trusty Canon F-1.

Scan 1, Mike at Watkins Glen 1979.
    Scan 2, Mike and Jim 'Rock' at LRP also 1979 (love that paddock?)
    Scan 3, There stands a young Joe Marcinski worried that Cameron (Mike's dad) will erupt in dismay at the hole Mike put in the block of his FF motor.
    Scan 4, The two Lolas sitting side-by-side.

Mike, Joe and I managed to reunite in 2010 at Summit Point. Mike drove the RF99 FC Pinto car I had rebuilt for my son. I think it was the last time Mike drove a race car in anger.

Mike's poise and all around good nature will be sorely missed.

John D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

A few more of Mike through the years:

Running one of our matching McMiatas in 2006, signing books at WGI in Spring 2009, leaning on me at the N. Lakeshore Drive 100 mph Club meeting in Delafield in 2010, and finally, one of my favorite shots at Milwaukee in 2010, which I can describe with the following:

Michael Argetsinger, Paul Jay, Pat Spangenburg and Rick Dresang at the 2008 Rex Mays Classic at the Milwaukee Mile. Mike came up from Chicago to watch Paul Jay turn laps in 'Miss Sunoco' before the IndyCar race that day.

Michael was always the best dressed person at the track, so we joked that on that day, he was the team owner and we worked for him. He laughed, wandered off and came back with beverages for everyone.

Penske Racing we are not, but on that day, we had the best owner at the track.

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

Sorry to hear the news. I am proud to mention that the Argetsinger family was originally from my hometown., Youngstown. Ohio.

The family will be in my prayers.

Jacques, seeing Michael next to the Sunoco car, sport coat, khaki's, button down long sleeve shirt, loafers is the way I'll always remember my friend. He was always the best dressed gentleman at any race track, a real throwback to times long gone.

I've often thought that I should be so lucky to grow up to belike Mike, but then realize I'll never grow up and will never look half as cool in a sport coat and RayBans as Mike did.

At my next race I might just don my sport coat around the paddock in happy remembrance.
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 280

There will be a memorial mass celebrated at St. Mary's of the Lake Catholic Church, 905 N. Decatur Street in Watkins Glen, NY on Monday, July 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM. I hope those of you that knew Mike can come to this service.

It might sound silly, but wear a pair of red socks.................... Again, those of you who knew Mike will know it would make him smile................

Joe Marcinski

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the memory Joe, I'd forgotten about the red socks. Hmmm gives me an idea!
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

Our entire team wore red socks this weekend at Road America in memory of Michael, and we had a poster that included some of the wonderful photos from this thread on display to commemorate his life. A lot of people came by to talk about Michael, and I found it enormously fitting that even after his passing, he is busy uniting people.

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information