Liked: 18

Default New question... Pickling Procedure???

"disconnect forward fuel line to drain fuel - disconnect return line into tank at top by fuel filler - put castor oil in aspen bottle full turn fuel on blow into system - turn fuel off - reconnect top fuel line

fuel pump needs castor oil (break tie raps) and lift up

spray WD-40 into each cylinder through plug hole - crank engine"

So these instructions were included with the car. I'm confused about a couple things.

What is an "aspen bottle"? That may not be the correct spelling as the notes were hand-written. It sounds like an external tank that gets connected and filled with castol oil that when pressurized gets fed into and replaces methanol in the fuel lines and metering system?

And when you blow through the system its not clear from which end? From the input side, or return side?

And breaking tie wraps and lifting fuel pump? There are no ties on the fuel pump, but I assume the point here is to disconnect the pump such that it can be manually maneuvered to put castol oil in it and coat all the internal surfaces?

Making good progress here with your help.

Thanks....

Liked: 7

Default Penske

Will trade you a 1999 Dallara. show you how to run it a,nd your troubles will be over.
    GT

Haha....how ya doing my friend?

Been waiting to hear from you, and what you might have to tempt me with. Not sure I'm ready for a trade, but, I'd love to hear about the Dallara, and, maybe you can help me get the PC-10 running again. Lots to talk about when you're ready!

Liked: 7

Default Dallara

Will talk next week. Will get the Dallara waxed and ready to go.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

I would not use WD40 to coat the cylinders (fogging), unless maybe the car was to be fired up fairly quickly after application, maybe a few weeks?
    There are much better fogging aerosols, typically marine type stuff.
    WD is great for lubing a closet door hinge, or it's original (if you believe the stories) ICBM missle usage for anti-corrosion, BUT... it will actually go hygroscopic after several weeks, and ATTRACT moisture.

NO IDEA on the rest of those hyroglyphics you are attempting to translate - are you sure it's not Sanscrit?

OK interesting. Without dropping any major names I will say that info came from the Penske chief mechanic on the car, but I'm sure we've learned a lot of new stuff in the last 30+ years. I keep hearing about naphtha....how is that used?

I'm really surprised more folks haven't chimed in on this pickling process???

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by the Wizard View Post
    OK interesting. Without dropping any major names I will say that info came from the Penske chief mechanic on the car, but I'm sure we've learned a lot of new stuff in the last 30+ years. I keep hearing about naphtha....how is that used?

I'm really surprised more folks haven't chimed in on this pickling process???
    WD-40 will displace moisture (Water Displacing). Its mostly Stoddard solvent and turbine oil. Turbine oil is designed to separate water quickly. There are some corrosion inhibitor additives as well. It suitable for short term (weeks to months).

Methanol absorbs water, including humidity from air. The combination is corrosive.

Naptha is a component of both gasoline and and lighter fluid. Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaner is almost completely light solvent aromatic naptha. It will displace the methanol too, but there are no lubricating or corrosion prevention properties.

As was said earlier, there are other fogging sprays available that work well. The point is to coat all of the internals to prevent contact with the methanol. I would ask an engine builder you trust what brand/type he recommends.

Good luck to you.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Ok, good info...thanks. As with many of the other topics I posted on I think little by little I'm figuring it out. It starts out totally foreign to me, and now not so much....good.

3 steps to pickling.....let me summarize....

1). Run the engine dry before turning off, and then disconnect fuel lines in and out so you can pump a cleansing fluid through the system flushing the methanol.....this could be gasoline or naphtha, but castol oil is probably best for lubrication reasons. This pumping can be accomplished using the fuel pump manually or using air pressure into some sort of fluid container (aspen bottle?).

2). Cylinders need to be cleansed and lubed. Plugs out. WD-40 maybe, but one of the many marine foggers are likely a better more modern solution. I think I've heard Marvel Mystery Oil used for this as well? Crank engine. Then put the plugs back in obviously.

3). Lastly, the fuel pump itself needs to be cleansed. Manually pumping castor oil through will work. The pump may need to be manually lifted and rotated so fluid reaches everywhere inside pump.

Sound about right? I guess that's not so bad.....when I get a good hookup on an engine guy I'll confirm with him.....
    Last edited by the Wizard; 07.11.15 at 11:14 PM.

Thread Information