Liked: 105

Default Sunday Wins for Wang and Van Hanson

Sunday wins for Wang and Van Hanson give Formula 1200 three different winners in three races at the BARC Grand Prix of Ontario

Bowmanville (June 28, 2015) – Formula 1200 added a pair of races on Sunday to its activities at the BARC Grand Prix of Ontario and came away from the event with three different drivers celebrating victory in as many races.

In the morning’s race 2, the battle between Phil Wang and Kevin Kapelke resumed right where it had left off after Kapelke’s victory in race 1 on Saturday. The deciding move again came down to the final corners, but this time it was Wang who was first to the checkers.

“It was a tight race yesterday and Kevin got me at the line,” Wang said. “I led most of today’s race, but I looked in the mirror and he was catching up every lap. Again today he got me on the back straightaway, but I managed to get back around him in turns 8 and 9 and take the win.”

The morning’s race was run under a downpour, and a slick turn 3 caught several drivers out, including Matt Garwood, who slid into the tires in turn 3 on lap 2 and lodged his first career DNF, and Jeremy Steinhausen, who also had an off at the exact same spot two laps later. A third driver, American Garrett Villano, was forced to retire on lap 6 with a clutch issue. Fortunately, all three drivers were able to make repairs in time to rejoin competition in the afternoon.

Race 3 saw a lead change on every single lap as an epic four-car battle raged on throughout the entire running. At the line, it was Peter Van Hanson who crossed the line first, making him the top Masters class finisher twice in one day.

“It was a lot of fun,” Van Hanson said of the four-way battle. “I really didn’t know what the outcome was going to be because I couldn’t tell where the other guys were. All I knew is I didn’t want to be in first going onto the back straight on the last lap, and it worked out.”

Despite heavy rain and challenging conditions, both races were run entirely under green. The only retirement from Sunday afternoon’s race was for Jeremy Steinhausen, who had a brake issue that carried over from the morning’s damage and left him unable to continue.
    Formula 1200 returns to action at the upcoming inaugural Bay of Quinte Grand Prix, which will take place at Shannonville Motorsports Park on July 18 and 19. Tickets can be purchased online at bayofquintegp.com.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Default Great Rain Video

Some great video of the race for 1st between Wang & Kapelke in the rain...

https://youtu.be/xE1tAuYFUnE
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 36

Great driving by Phil in those conditions....man!what a handfull in the wet

Default Some Pictures

Great set of photos from this race weekend.

http://www.coburnpix.com/CASC-OR/BAR...Prix-of-Ontari
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 200

updated points standings after the last race weekend.

Big move for Phil Wang from 6th to 2nd, however Kevin still increased his points lead. Kevin has yet to finish off the podium in 6 races this year.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 36

Kevin HAMILTON & Phil ROSBERG

Thread Information