View Poll Results: Stolen Racing Trailer/Car Hauler: Graphics or Plain?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The trailer stolen was decorated with racing graphics.

1 4.17%
  • The trailer stolen was plain jane and void of graphics.

23 95.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 7

Default Enterprising thieves will invest in a cutoff tool...

Cough, ahh hmm. Just sayin
    "You GO Now"

Rick

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInAtlanta View Post
    Sorry to be such a Brahma buff here. . . One of their videos shows that some wheel clamps can be pulled off from the side, perhaps with the tire deflated. They claim that theirs cannot be. Having hooked the Brahma up to my truck (only, so far), this is quite unlikely. As they claim.

Chris Eckles
    I saw that video too... But that was an inflated tire, and the device was centered on the wheel. I actually don't think a good thief would use that method - it would destroy the tire...

Once there is nothing keeping the thing centered (the inflated tire) if you shift it to one side I suspect one of the arms will be at or near the edge. There are practical limits on how long the backside of those arms can be - such as fender clearance.

Liked: 30

haha Chris ....DOH !!

Well considering Brahma is based out of Vancouver, I'll contact them and see who sells them locally, and or meet up with them if they have a distribution facility here in Vancouver.

I"m wondering if they would make something large enough for my Dually too ?

Do you think you need several of these to slow down thieves ?

I'm just considering GPS plus alarmS plus Brahma.

don

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by PDM075 View Post
    Do you think you need several of these to slow down thieves ?

don

No, one tire not turning should be enough. Circular keys, harder to pick. And of course they can always go straight though the door. . .

Chris Eckles

Liked: 18

Being in the trailer security business for 10 years now, I have seen it all. Graphics, no graphics, doesn't matter. Thieves are going to try regardless. The snakes, cops, septic stuff on the sides, matters not. I deal with them all. My advice, don't make it too easy.

This one stolen today.

Lyle

Liked: 146

"Unfortunately it would open you up to being taxed as a c,ommercial vehicle, but some decals like "Sam's Septic Service", "Radioactive Medical Waste" or "Cloth Diaper Recycling" might be a theft deterrent."

When I worked in the insurance business, we had a client that had a Cloth Diaper (Nappy in this part of the world) cleaning truck stolen that was full of about 8,000 dirty nappies. The truck was recovered, but not the nappies. I am now convinced that baddies will steal anything.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 177

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    "Unfortunately it would open you up to being taxed as a c,ommercial vehicle, but some decals like "Sam's Septic Service", "Radioactive Medical Waste" or "Cloth Diaper Recycling" might be a theft deterrent."

When I worked in the insurance business, we had a client that had a Cloth Diaper (Nappy in this part of the world) cleaning truck stolen that was full of about 8,000 dirty nappies. The truck was recovered, but not the nappies. I am now convinced that baddies will steal anything.
    LOL
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 11

If they want it bad enough they will steal it. I can tell you from experience many times the trailer is stolen for what is inside it. Tools, lawn equipment etc. Also ofen it may be taken for a set purpose, to haul something or burglarize someone else. Graphics are great but only if you know it is stolen. So if your business trailer is taken Saturday night knowing you are closed Sunday it will be Monday before reported giving them plenty of hours to use it.

Default Protecting your trailer

There are lots of options to protect your trailer let's talk about why trailers are stolen and talk about how best to protect them:

Trailers are stolen for the trailer and for the contents, most police departments will come take a report and maybe they will find your trailer if you're lucky most of the time they do not.

Trailers are ambiguous, and generally nondescript so they are easy targets (and are frequently stollen with the tow vehicle). Often times they are not moved that far, but far enough. Once stolen the thief has multiple benefits, first the contents tools parts etc can be sold or dumped easily. Second the trailer can be relicensed in 13 states as a home built or new trailer. So it can be sold as a "new" or "used" home built trailer in almost all 50 states with a minimum amount of effort. Of course there is the Meth Lab conversion as well. Popular in the news...Generally a trailer is converted and sold or dumped, and burned.

Where are trailers stolen, most people think that their trailer will not be stolen because it is behind a gate or on their property. But, you cannot keep an eye on your stuff all the time. If they want it bad enough it will go away. We have seen trailers stolen out of people's yards!! The really dangerous areas are hotel parking lots and at or near the track, And the night before you leave for the track when you are staged and ready to go your tow vehicle and trailer are stolen.

How to protect against this. Locks, Graphics and alarms and all other deterrents are good but only to a degree. Nobody pays attention to car alarms any more so the thieves think that they can do whatever they want, and that is fairly accurate. LoJack works only in limited parts of the country so that isn't an effective solution either.

With the Internet of things now we can put true GPS tracking device on your trailer and be able to track your trailer with notifications if it moves or is accessed. With Swift notification and accurate real time tracking the odds of you recovering your trailer with a GeoSky ALERT device goes from less than 10% to over 90% if the authorities are notified within 60 minutes of the theft.

We are working with ApexSpeed to provide a special offer to ApexSpeed members for a REALTIME tracking solution that will allow you to virtually watch your truck, trailer and racecar right from your mobile device with notification via Email and Text Message in less than a Minute.

Built by racers for racers. Keep and eye out for our add that will be up in a couple of days. We will help you sleep at night, keep whats yours and be your own best advocate.

www.GeoSkyALERT.com

Ron C
    ron@geoskygps.com
    760-576-3003 x 703

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1871

"Enterprising thieves will invest in a cut-off tool.... "

With regards to wheel clamps - while living in Boston 40 years ago, I once watched a van pull up alongside some cars that had the city's brand new wheel clamps on them. A hand with a blow torch came out of the side door, and within a minute each, the clamps were chopped and on the ground....

If you want to minimise the chances of having your trailer stolen, leave nothing in it, leave the doors unlocked, and take the tires and hitch with you. Yes, the MOST enterprising thief may have tires and hitches ready to go, but not 99% of the would-be crooks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    "Enterprising thieves will invest in a cut-off tool.... "

With regards to wheel clamps - while living in Boston 40 years ago, I once watched a van pull up alongside some cars that had the city's brand new wheel clamps on them. A hand with a blow torch came out of the side door, and within a minute each, the clamps were chopped and on the ground....

If you want to minimise the chances of having your trailer stolen, leave nothing in it, leave the doors unlocked, and take the tires and hitch with you. Yes, the MOST enterprising thief may have tires and hitches ready to go, but not 99% of the would-be crooks out there.
    You mean like this? LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Little extreme but anyone would have a heck of a time stealing that.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

We're considering this graphic:
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    We're considering this graphic:
    The thieves will think there are lots of construction equipment and tools inside. The meth heads steal construction equipment, then peddle it at other construction sites.

Crime scene cleanup might be better.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

When we towed our old enclosed trailer I made sure it looked so crappy nobody would be remotely interested in stealing it. It worked, we had it for 6 years, no break-ins, no theft.
    We hauled an Alfa SZ from Canada to here with no issues. Parked in truck stops and motel lots, No issues.

If I were going to do anything we'd go with a GPS transmitter. Hard for a thief to find, easy to hide.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Default As Promised, a discount to ApexSpeed Members

Hi Guys,

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that we would provide special pricing for ApexSpeed members. As a racer as well, we protect and have been instrumental in recovering vehicles and trailers for our clients for almost 6 years.

We are Also an OEM product for several trailer manufactures as well.

Since we are racers, we really want to protect our own, and this is how we do this. Our ad will be up on ApexSpeed in the next few days but here is our link for ApexSpeed Members!

https://www.geoskyalert.com/apexspeed.php

Trailer and Vehicle monitoring and recovery starts with Fast Notification. We notify on average within 38 seconds! know immediately when someone accesses or moves your vehicle, take advantage of a discount on your insurance with a GPS tracking solution installed!

Attached Images Attached Images

21. The following members LIKED this post:

We will again be at PRI this year. Same booth 7100 and location under the hanging race vehicle.
    Stop by and visit.
    Our PTS-2 products lock the electric brakes to help against actual trailer theft and your insurance company may actually offer a discount for a theft prevention device.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Liked: 295

I've always thought having it plain would be less likely to invite people and suggest valuable tools inside?

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I've always thought having it plain would be less likely to invite people and suggest valuable tools inside?
    The problem is that 99+% of all trailers are plain and look the same and most are white in color.
    When stolen, a thief can change the appearance of the trailer in less than 30 minutes with a cheap paint setup.
    So, if the cops show up and you describe your trailer to them as a plain white trailer, it could now be a cheaply painted blue trailer.
    This has happened more than once that I have heard.

Either way, it's a gamble.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information