View Poll Results: Stolen Racing Trailer/Car Hauler: Graphics or Plain?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The trailer stolen was decorated with racing graphics.

1 4.17%
  • The trailer stolen was plain jane and void of graphics.

23 95.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 1417

Default POLL: Stolen Trailers

Something in Meg's stolen thread triggered a thought, and I'm wondering what the overall number is... I'm really interested in knowing if you have had a race car trailer stolen, or a friend of yours has had a trailer stolen, if it was a plain solid color (black, white, gray, etc.) or if it had graphics on it to make it obvious that it was a racing trailer?

Please don't answer if you have not had a trailer stolen or you are at least one degree away from someone who has lost a trailer to theft. I think it may be valuable to know how many trailers get stolen from racers that are plain and how many have racing graphics on them. Small decals don't count—you need to instantly recognize that the trailer is a racing hauler visually.

Liked: 313

Very good poll. I'm not being facetious, I really mean it, but here is my take.

Group one: Trailers without graphics are stolen by people that want to park them in a field and cook meth.

Group two: Trailers with graphics are stolen by meth-heads that want to sell the valuable stuff in them to buy meth from group one.

Proposed solution: Legalize drugs and treat it like a health issue. That's what most civilized countries do. I can't image that any of the founding fathers thought it was any of the governments business what things you put in your own body. That was left up to Dick Nixon.

Liked: 227

Delete

Liked: 830

Doug,
    IMHO, having some sort of graphics (or paint) on your trailer to remove it from the 'plain jane' category should deter a LOT of thieves. Plain jane trailers are everywhere and finding one is like needle in haystack. However, if you have any sort of DISTINCTIVE graphics on it, then it sticks out like a sore thumb. Highway patrol might recognize it going the other way on the interstate.

Currently mine is PLAIN JANE, but I'm going to decorate it now with something that is distinctive (just have to figure out what). On the other hand, putting graphics that make it look like a RACE CAR might be inside would also indicate a high likelihood of some pretty expensive, but easy to move TOOLS - and it might also be possible for a thief to quickly part out the car if he is careful. RACE CAR Graphics also catch the eye of Hiway Patrol in other ways ... TAXES. If they have reason to suspect that you might be MAKING MONEY with your rig and ignoring taxes .. they might just pull you over for inspection. I got stopped (for changing lanes suddenly without signalling- the cop behind me could not see the STOPPED car ahead of me in the middle lane of the interstate!). After I explained WHY I made that move, we chatted for a moment during which he inquired about what was in the trailer. I spent the next 30 minutes explaining why it was NOT (DEFINITELY NOT) a money making enterprise and trying to PROVE to him that was the case. He finally let me go.

I think just a couple of simple stripes in some contrasting color would go a LONG LONG way toward nearly immediate recovery. I could be wrong, but I'm going to proceed along those lines and hope it helps if I ever need it. We all also need to make certain that we have the TAG number to pass out. I've been quite surprised that Megan has not provided either a tag number or a picture ... even after being asked. We all need to make sure we have that available for the future - it can only HELP to put that info out on the forums.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 601

Default Stolen Trailers

Very large markings on the top of a truck or trailer, helps for a possible aerial location of a stolen rig !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

6. The following 6 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Very large markings on the top of a truck or trailer, helps for a possible aerial location of a stolen rig !
    Great idea. I'm thinking of 'FV80' on the top .. pretty distinctive, don't you think?
    Steve, FV80

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

It's entirely possible that there is a 23:1 ratio of trailers used by race teams that don't have marking to those that do, but I doubt it.

It's a reasonable assumption to believe that there is a definite deterrent to have some type of distinguishing markings on the trailer to keep it from looking like your average lawn maintenance equipment hauler.

Roof markings are really smart, but I believe that there is some real value in having something on the sides and back of the trailer that keeps it from looking like every other trailer on the road.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Since graphics MAY be a deterrent, this poll isn't going to reflect that.
    Maybe asking:

Does/did your trailer have:
    No graphics
    Distinctive graphics - not racing (like swooshes / stripes)
    Distinctive readily identifiable as racing graphics

and then:

Never stolen
    Stolen

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Since graphics MAY be a deterrent, this poll isn't going to reflect that.
    Maybe asking:

Does/did your trailer have:
    No graphics
    Distinctive graphics - not racing (like swooshes / stripes)
    Distinctive readily identifiable as racing graphics

and then:

Never stolen
    Stolen
    Agreed... now THAT would be a good poll...
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 1

If I were getting an enclosed trailer, I'd paint big red or orange triangles on every side and the top. One triangle per side.

I'd engrave some sort of ID on some out-of-the way part of the frame, so if it did get stolen and repainted, I could further prove it was mine if I ever got close to it again.

Best trailer I ever saw for security was one that was being used for a Formula Vee. It had previously belonged to a nearby small-town's police department. They had used it for their department's hobby of motorcycle drag racing. It had a big graphic of a drag racing motorcycle, but there was also so many police stickers on this trailer that no one in their right mind (or at least, no one not taking meth) would even jaywalk anywhere near this thing, let alone think of stealing it.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Many of us use plain, unmarked trucks, toters & trailers to avoid being labeled a commercial vehicle and can then avoid the CDL, Weigh Stations and such. Many States have burdensome taxes & regs regarding vehicles with graphics regarding racing. Some require Commercial regs if you race for cash, prizes or trophies.

Distinctive graphics can be a deterrent.as well as disabling your tow vehicle & trailer. Professional thieves are difficult to stop and rarely caught. It's the one's who make the 'dumb crook news" that are the easiest to deter.

We must not make it easy for them to snatch our rigs and run. Pull fuses on tow vehicles. Remove wheels on trailers. STP insurance can be affordable. However, no amount of insurance money eliminates the feelings of being violated and our emotional attachment to our cars. But it sure helps.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx94 View Post
    If I were getting an enclosed trailer, I'd paint big red or orange triangles on every side and the top. One triangle per side.

I'd engrave some sort of ID on some out-of-the way part of the frame, so if it did get stolen and repainted, I could further prove it was mine if I ever got close to it again.

Best trailer I ever saw for security was one that was being used for a Formula Vee. It had previously belonged to a nearby small-town's police department. They had used it for their department's hobby of motorcycle drag racing. It had a big graphic of a drag racing motorcycle, but there was also so many police stickers on this trailer that no one in their right mind (or at least, no one not taking meth) would even jaywalk anywhere near this thing, let alone think of stealing it.

You've seen mine! (kidding).

I have an open trailer my son and I reconditioned. The manufacturer (Carson) stamped the VIN in 3 locations. I ordered a new ID plate (sticker) from them and they required I bring it to my local dealer. The dealer looked for the matching VINs before installing (peel & stick) the new ID.

Liked: 96

Unfortunately it would open you up to being taxed as a commercial vehicle, but some decals like "Sam's Septic Service", "Radioactive Medical Waste" or "Cloth Diaper Recycling" might be a theft deterrent.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

According to the Brahma trailer wheel lock people, 80% of trailers stolen are NOT recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by rickrep View Post
    According to the Brahma trailer wheel lock people, 80% of trailers stolen are NOT recovered.
    I suspect that's because so many look ALIKE ! I still say 'BE DISTINCTIVE' and it'll be noticed somewhere. Alerting the police that a 'white' trailer has been stolen is worthless. Telling them that is has a FLAMING DUCK on the side and FV80 (or similar) on the back .. along with a picture would probably mean a much more likely recovery. Not to mention somewhat of a deterrent to being stolen in the first place.
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

I have been watching this thread and others regarding stolen trailers. I have an idea as a deterrent. This would work for hitch trailers, probably not goosenecks. Why not have the coupler on the trailer tongue removable. It could be done with a pin just like the receiver When you park it, pull the pin, pop out the coupler and take it with you. Pretty easy to do and how are they going to hook it on to steal it. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Earley Motorsports; 06.25.15 at 9:36 PM.
    Graham

22. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickrep View Post
    The big items right now are the classic camper trailers. I have a friend that has restored a few (been on the cover of some camper magazines).

She says that thieves come to shows to find targets. They take them cross country....

I'm not surprised at the stat... So prevention is key....

Liked: 59

It had a big graphic of a drag racing motorcycle, but there was also so many police stickers on this trailer that no one in their right mind (or at least, no one not taking meth) would even jaywalk anywhere near this thing, let alone think of stealing it.
    Hmmm...
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    Hmmm...
    I could call that DISTINCTIVE
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Anything painted on the top is not too likely to be noticed by a thief.

I have my car number and class in red in about 6 foot high letters on my trailer top.

But all said best medicine is prevention.

Coupler lock, lock that covers the ball hole, if feasible remove more than 1 wheel, chain wheels together, store in a not out of the way location, hire a grumpy old man with a sawed off shotgun to guard it and pay him a bonus for every potential thief he catches , and my favorite crazy idea hook a battery operated fence charger to the frame with a switch hidden so you can turn it off without getting knocked on your keister. May get in trouble for the last one, but will still have your stuff.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Why not have the coupler on the trailer tongue removable.
    I've heard of cases where they didn't bother to remove the coupler lock but just used the safety chains.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

And in the Meg Sauce case they took the whole rig.....

I assume it was all hooked together.....

Liked: 3787

Since 2004 the shiny silver roof of my trailer has had "Purple Frog Racing" in 3 foot tall purple letters, 18 feet long.

Graphics on all sides.

Always thought the sides should say "Live Snake Exhibit"

One advantage of towing with a motorhome... I'm sleeping 8 feet from the trailer. whether it be paddock, Wallyworld Parking lot, Steve Davis' front yard, interstate rest areas, etc.

Parked 150 feet in from a residential street, behind the house inside a chain link fence with dogs next to the race shop.

32. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

In order to get better meaning out of this poll, one should also understand the percentage of trailers owned by racers that are decorated vs plain. If only 5% of race trailers are decorated and only 5% of trailers stolen are decorated, then what do we know?

Liked: 211

I had my race trailer stolen some years back.

it was plain. Now all trailers in large red my name & phone # (Mike Rand... I think I forgot to tell you this when you bought my trailer... )

I don't like a lot of graphics on race trailer but I think I would do something next time

trailer had locks, but now I use wheel locks as heavy duty hitch lock

trailer was supposedly in secure lot, I rented space from the lumber yard I work out of, thought was well out of sight as well but it is on a main highway

main tool box and cars where not stored in trailer, but a ton of spares and other track essentials. was a hard hit

I feel for ya Meg...
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    In order to get better meaning out of this poll, one should also understand the percentage of trailers owned by racers that are decorated vs plain. If only 5% of race trailers are decorated and only 5% of trailers stolen are decorated, then what do we know?
    Very true. I guess a better question is, how many trailers that aren't of the Plain Jane variety have you ever heard of getting stolen (and not recovered)? Only one so far in this informal poll. Still interesting, if not scientific.

I don't know if there is any correlation between making the trailer not look so plain and keeping thieves away, but my fuzzy logic is leading me to believe that it's a cheap additional safeguard that couldn't hurt. Even if it was a big giant lime green vinyl lightning bolt down the side, it's different enough to call attention to it if it disappears.

Too many of these trailers and setups that hit this Lost & Found forum seemingly are very plain, unassuming, run-of-the-mill trailers. If the thieves want the flip the trailer and contents of it, they want the path of least resistance and lowest risk.

I'm just thinking out loud to people who will listen. My family tunes me out when I talk about things like this.

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    "Live Snake Exhibit"
    This is a great idea!
    Last edited by BURKY; 08.26.15 at 10:30 PM.

It's funny, but it would directly change how people treated the trailer while unattended.

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 59

Default GPS trackers are evolving

$279

http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

I used a TAGG tracker on my Newfie when he was a puppy but now that mutt never leaves a 30' radius from his food bowl, so I shut it off. I would get a text with an alert and map location of him when we left the house for a walk.

Liked: 113

Given the evolution of smart phones and QR codes would it make sense for some one to develop an application where racers could just add a QR code to all sides and roof of the trailer?

This would allow quick and unique identification - even from a distance. In theory the identification abilities could also then be added to the license plate optical readers installed in many patrol cars.

Since the code does not indicate any commercial intent it would not draw the ire of law enforcement during a traffic stop.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 25

Default Break-Ins

Of course, as may have been mentioned, the question of graphics and graphics content also impacts the potential for the trailer to be a break-in target. Do thieves think it contains tools, car parts, and wheels, motorcycles, lawnmowers or ??
    Frank C
    Last edited by Frank C; 06.26.15 at 7:15 PM.

Liked: 4

I had a racer friend years ago, plain white trailer. On the sides and back, there were medium sized biohazard decals, and the words "mobile HIV testing station".

That trailer was never going to be stolen.

45. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Tracking

Look at trackimo.com safe zones , alerts, GPS tracking, $60 a year Dogs Cats Cars Truck Fleets. etc.

Liked: 10

My enclosed trailer was stolen some time back. My fault in part, poorly secured. Beautiful and distinctive. Polished stainless steel two feet up from the base, five foot height, tasteful swoopy subdued decals. Luckily there was no car or tools in it. I was about to order a replacement, custom made. And painted Penske Yellow.

The cops busted a drug house a few weeks back, an hour from where the trailer was stored, and started running serial numbers - and found my trailer parked next to the house! I'm getting the trailer back, soon I hope. The deputy said that it was still in great shape, had been used for storage. I now own a Brahma wheel clamp to secure it from all but the most desirous thieves. This baby is very impressive, well made and easy to use. Weighs 40+ pounds - heavy gauge steel. $250 total shipped from Canada (call the manufacturer directly). I will post a picture of the returned trailer with the clamp on it in my thread here when I get it back.

I spent some time watching YouTube videos about trailer security. Bolt cutters can take off even the most expensive padlocks, even those with beefy shoulders covering most of the hasp. I have ordered some of the hockey puck padlocks, where the hasp is not exposed at all, 6 pin cylinder so difficult to pick. Just a minor deterrent, I know. All of the clamps that lock up the hitch came off in seconds (except one model - apparently). Still, not much of a deterrent. Even the Brahma will come off with the right cutting tools - and time, and noise.

Thieves - seek ye weaker prey! I'll still be stealable, but there will be far easier targets.

Chris Eckles

Liked: 5

I have found the best way to secure a trailer is to park next to something that is easier prey and more valuable. I have puck locks, coupler, lock, secure the safety chains, chain the wheels, and have great insurance. In the end you can only do so much.
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

call me stupid....but I don't get it with the Brahma lock.

Why can't the thieves still drive away with the trailer ? Yes it may impact the trailer and make a mess, but won't it eventually tear up and break apart ?

(maybe I'm missing something about trailer wheel locks....)

When the Brahma - or most but not all - wheel clamp is installed the wheel will not turn. The clamp "clamps" itself to the tire. And the wings, four inches or so long, on the outside of the clamp will not allow the wheel to turn. And it would take a lot of dragging to wear the Brahma down to the point where it falls apart. You'd wear through the tire first, now un-changeable. Lug nuts are covered by a heavy-gauge steel cone.

You're thinking of the Simpsons' episode where Homer's car gets clamped and he is so angry - doh! - that he drives it anyway. It shows the clamp destroying the bodywork of his car, less an issue for a trailer of course, and just making for a bumpy ride. The real deal is a good bit more effective.

Chris Eckles

Has anyone tried to simply deflate the tire?

Put a jack under that wheel, deflate the tire and you have 8 inches of slack to work with.

Should be enough to get one arm off and then its done.

Sorry to be such a Brahma buff here. . . One of their videos shows that some wheel clamps can be pulled off from the side, perhaps with the tire deflated. They claim that theirs cannot be. Having hooked the Brahma up to my truck (only, so far), this is quite unlikely. As they claim.

Chris Eckles

54. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information