Liked: 11

Default Vintage FV vs Current

What makes the newer models faster? They run the same specs correct? Is it aerodynamics or is there more to it?

Liked: 113

Default Difference vintage vs modern formula vee.

Below are the differences in declining level of importance

1) Rear tire diameter - monoposto legal vintage vees must run a 24" minimum diameter rear tire -this is substantially taller than the modern cars.

2) Fan drag - monoposto legal must run a fan - depending on who you talk to this could be as much as 5 HP (not convinced it is that much - but it is very noticeable if a fan belt comes off.

3) Treaded tires vs slicks (faster cornering speeds on slicks)

4) Generator drag on a vintage car.

5) Aero is better on a modern car - but it is well down on the list of importance - remember vintage cars do not have to run cooling scoops as they have a fan.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 11

Thanks. Makes sense. The generator is not used on mdern FV? Alternator?

Liked: 303

The generator is not used on mdern FV? Alternator?
    No, just a battery. Mine weighs about 1.5 pounds.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default i dunno....

zero roll?

Liked: 113

I am not of the opinion that "zero roll" makes for a significantly faster car in vintage trim.

A z-bar if correctly set up will have zero roll resistance through a good section of rear suspension roll travel.

A mono rear shock car does have some aerodynamic advantages in modern cars and is probably easier to set up.

Some modern cars are not completely zero roll as they have some roll damping.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Some vintage organizations don't run a minimum rear tire diameter of 24".

Some vintage organizations don't require a working fan and generator.

Zero-roll is allowed...so no difference there. Well, the difference between single shock and double shock zero roll is slight aero, unsprung weight and stiction advantage to the single shock setup.

Other than the difference in allowed tired construction and compounds...the biggest difference in my opinion is how dedicated those participants are to going faster. I was running up front in vintage with a fair amount of some low hanging fruit on the car that could have been improved. You aren't going to get away with that in SCCA majors because folks aren't knowingly leaving that low hanging fruit on the car.

Could I have fixed all those little things and go run majors with that car and not come DFL? Probably, but wouldn't be at the pointy end. So why bother? If, for whatever reasons, winning Majors was a priority to me I certainly wouldn't start with a vintage eligible car no matter how small the disadvantage because you can't afford to do so.

Just my humble opinion, YMMV.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 06.09.15 at 12:25 AM.

Thread Information