Thread: 4 post ramps

Liked: 11

Default 4 post ramps

Okay, does anyone store their FV on a four post lift? If you do, can you advise if the ramps are close enough to be able to turn the car sideways and have two of them on it? If not, would a board extend out with the support of the ramp work?

I am also considering building something with wheels so I can roll it around the garage as needed to keep things simple.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rossman View Post
    Okay, does anyone store their FV on a four post lift? If you do, can you advise if the ramps are close enough to be able to turn the car sideways and have two of them on it? If not, would a board extend out with the support of the ramp work?

I am also considering building something with wheels so I can roll it around the garage as needed to keep things simple.

i have the same problem and the answer is always a bigger garage lol

Liked: 299

Default roll around cart

All you need is 4 caster wheels from Harbor Freight or I used wheels off of the front of a shopping car and make a frame using 1" square tubing or angle iron and some strap across the corners with a hole in to bolt the wheels to. Then I used a quick jack under the front and floor jack under tranny to lift car up and roll cart under car and lower down onto the cart. Now you can put the car anywhere in the garage to keep it out of the way.

If you live in a large metro area keep you eye out for someone throwing out and old bed frame and pick it up from the curb and you can use it for making things. Keep in mind that it is high strength steel and not very drill friendly but easy to weld.

Ed

Liked: 2

On the ones that I have seen the ramps are about 80" outside to outside.

I have a cheapo welder and thought about putting a stand together. Getting a 4 post would let me get cars or storage underneath it...especially in the winter months. I may end up wanting both but the stand would be a LOT cheaper for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post
    All you need is 4 caster wheels from Harbor Freight or I used wheels off of the front of a shopping car and make a frame using 1" square tubing or angle iron and some strap across the corners with a hole in to bolt the wheels to. Then I used a quick jack under the front and floor jack under tranny to lift car up and roll cart under car and lower down onto the cart. Now you can put the car anywhere in the garage to keep it out of the way.

If you live in a large metro area keep you eye out for someone throwing out and old bed frame and pick it up from the curb and you can use it for making things. Keep in mind that it is high strength steel and not very drill friendly but easy to weld.

Ed

Liked: 24

Default car dollies

Yes they would for a FV. I had a set for a corvette and it was hard pushing it around...the castors were just not all that good. Even some cheapo moving dollies should work and hold the weight. Menards has them for pretty cheap as I recall.

Liked: 6

I use Hardwood Dollies for my Vee - just check the wheels for grease,

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rossman View Post
    Yes they would for a FV. I had a set for a corvette and it was hard pushing it around...the castors were just not all that good. Even some cheapo moving dollies should work and hold the weight. Menards has them for pretty cheap as I recall.
    Because they are rated 1000lbs per pair. 4 = 2000lbs.

Every (used) pair I've seen had bent wheels....
    I think they flex too much even under light load so they'll never roll right.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I have four of the cheapie dollies from Menard's under my Reynard. They work really well, even on my section of carpeted garage floor. They're about $15.00 each. My old knees appreciate the commercial grade carpet, as do my feet in the winter. Dropped nuts, bolts & sockets stay where they hit the floor. Makes lying under the car much more comfortable, too.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Default Harbor Freight Dollies

My landscaper had a little digger that broke down in the middle of our cul-de-sac at night and we used my harbor freight 1000lb dollies under it and moved it to the side of the road. That thing had tracks on it and was heavy as hell, way over the limit. The only time they got bent was when the digger thing fell off the jack and landed on one. The hammer fixed that no problem. Anyway, that proved to me if two can hold that weight they will handle anything I have.
    Graham

Thread Information