Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Default Shell URT race fuel

Hello all,

we have been approached by a Shell representative to try their race fuel. SHELL URT. They have 3 different blends available.

we are wondering if anyone has tried the SHELL URT fuel in an FB application. and if so, what was the fuel from the Shell URT product line and your thoughts about the fuel and performance it brings.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Blair Robertshaw; 05.25.15 at 10:56 AM.

Liked: 13

Post 3 blends available from SHELL

What are the three different blends they are offering ?

What are the specs & octane rating as well as any other info they offer about it ?

Thanks.

m.

Contributing Member

here is a link to the spec and brief narrative:

http://www.shell.com/global/products...urt-in-us.html

Post Shell URT 105 -- looks good to me.

Shell Racing Fuel URT 105 is specially formulated by Shell for off-road use. This technologically advanced formulation utilizes Shell racing technology and expertise to maximize the performance of a racing engine. This non-oxygenated fuel improves fuel consumption providing the advantage of increased mileage. This fuel is an excellent choice for high compression engines up to 12:1 including four stroke and two stroke motorcycle applications.

Post more info on all three blends from Shell

New Shell URT Fuels launched in US

Shell Racing Solutions is proud to announce the launch of the Shell Racing Solutions new line of Unleaded Racing Technology (URT) fuels.

Shell Racing Solutions is now offering Shell URT fuels in the United States and the Shell Racing Solutions URT portfolio consists of fuels for all racing applications in the United States.
    The patent pending URT Advanced formulations eliminate the need for the traditional leaded racing fuels currently in the market. The Shell Racing Solutions URT Fuels portfolio consists of Shell Racing Fuel URT 100, Shell Racing Fuel URT 105 and the unique Shell Racing Fuel URT Advanced.
    Shell Racing Fuel URT 100 is specially formulated by Shell for on-road and off-road applications and is an excellent choice for crate engines, modified street legal vehicles, 9:1 compression race engines, drag racing, motorcycles, jet skis, ATVs, snowmobiles and boats. Shell’s formulation uses only high purity components to help maximise and provide the consistency of performance required in competition. URT 100 is formulated to provide critical low-end torque required for optimum performance.
    Shell Racing Fuel URT 105 is specially formulated by Shell for off-road use. This technologically advanced formulation utilizes Shell racing technology and expertise to maximize the performance of a racing engine. This non-oxygenated fuel improves fuel consumption providing the advantage of increased mileage. This fuel is an excellent choice for high compression engines up to 12:1 including four stroke and two stroke motorcycle applications.
    Shell Racing Fuel URT Advanced is a high-octane unleaded racing fuel specially formulated by Shell for off-road use. Shell URT Advanced is the highest octane (research + motor octane/2) unleaded racing fuel available on the market today*. Shell URT Advanced Racing Fuel is specially formulated by Shell and is designed to perform in applications normally requiring the use of lead. It contains a race-proven lead replacement additive that protects against exhaust valve seat recession in racing engines.
    This fuel contains no oxygen and is formulated using technology that provides detonation resistance previously only possible using lead. This unique technology is developed for engines requiring high octane racing fuel.
    For technical questions regarding Shell URT fuels or for sales information please contact Shell Racing Solution’s directly at 1-888-81-SHELL (7-4355) or visit Shell Racing Solutions website at:

Contributing Member

I know it looks good / reads well. I am looking for reports from anyone who has actually used it. So far I have not talked to or heard from anyone who has 1. heard of it and 2. used or uses it.

Liked: 77

If you are planning to use it in SCCA races, don't. It will not pass the lab tests.

Dave

Contributing Member

Thanks for that Dave. I cant even find anyone who has used it...

What race fuel if any passes SCCA rules Dave?

Thanks

Post Shell Racing Fuel not SCCA legal

Well it its not legal, no wonder we can't find any one who has used it.

I think "VP" makes a SCCA legal fuel & "Sunoco" makes a SCCA legal racing fuel.

Also Avgas -- 100 LL works OK too.

M.

Liked: 2

Blair, Use Sunoco 260 GT it is 100 octane unleaded racing fuel SCCA legal

George

Contributing Member

thanks George.

Liked: 5

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone looked into using the race gas concentrate ( http://race-gas.com/ ) I don't run SCCA so I'm not worried about fuel regulations. Think this may be a "cost effective" alternative? Right now im just running 93 octane pump gas but it's getting increasingly harder to come by. What is another good fuel you run? ( Feel free to PM me if you don't want to make your speed secrets ok public)
    Last edited by openwheeler37; 06.06.15 at 2:31 PM.

Post gas

What compression ratio are you running ?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

The gas concentrate sounds like snake oil to me after reviewing their web site. To raise octane that much one would have to add lead. And Tetra ethyl lead is one of the more toxic substances known to man.

I would stick with a known fuel rather than risk my car's fuel system and engine on something like that.

Kind of like Moroso and Vortex back in the 70's.

It ate my fuel cell foam. Then I was introduced to 100LL and have not changed since then.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

I was not aware that lead could be used to RAISE OCTANE.

Liked: 946

Tetraethyl lead was around since the 1920s to prevent knock and raise the effective octane of gasoline. Below is a link to Britannica.com that explains it pretty well.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...ethyl-lead-TEL
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Now I feel as though I have a case of The Stupids...
    Coulda sworn lead's sole purpose was to control/prevent detonation.
    I has reading to do...

Contributing Member

sorry to hijack this thread!

we tried the URT 105 in one of the f1000's and ran shell premium in the other. we didn't do plug chops but we did get a reading on the plugs as soon as possible from coming off track.

Have to say the URT sounded snappy and the plugs looked fantastistic but with a bit lean lambda of 3.25 - 3.30 at 1600' ASL. we subsequently increased fuel supply

the other car on pump gas was on the rich side with a lambda of 12.85, we never tracked this car again that day, we did 3 sessions with it, with a decrease in fuel supply coming next day.

Our motors were fresh from George before test day. As stated, the fuel, its not SCCA legal but for those who can run fuel such as the URT, say Rally or Hill climb it may be worth a look. It seemed the GSXR liked it!

We will try the URT 105 fuel one more track day against Georges recommendation just to see any differences, more for curiosity but post that test, we will run Georges recommendation, no sense in tuning a car to fuel you cant run. So anyway, thats it for us for now.

What fuel would you recommend running? My only choices now are 91 octane pump gas because the local stations no longer carry 93. u Went on VP'S website and there are dozens of types listed for motorcycle engines

Contributing Member

not sure what you are running, I assume an f1000, if its a GSXR and your running SCCA I would go with George Dean's recommendation. If not maybe there is track fuel to be had, that's usually safe.

I'm running a stocl 08 GSXR 1000 with a power commamder. The track I run does offer Sunoco 93 for $6.95 a gallon as well as 100 octane unleaded and 110 leaded for $9.30 a per gallon

Contributing Member

i would try and match the fuel to your compression ratio of your motor, should be safe with that!

I guess that leads me onto my next question. . My compression ratio is 12.5:1 .. how do I match the fuel I need?

Liked: 830

If any of this thread is related to the Runoffs, I would suggest that there is a VERY HIGH LIKELIHOOD that *TRACK GAS* will be required for most classes. Has anyone seen any Supps info for this year? Since I didn't attend last year, I suspect that I am not "on the list" for early updates...
    Won't do you much good to find a 'super fuel' that you can't run ...

Ahhh....Just found supps... at http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1432590017

9.12. Fuel: All cars shall use Sunoco Race Fuel purchased from Southern Racing Fuels at the 2015 Runoffs. Available fuel includes: 93 R+M/2 Octane Unleaded Premium; Sunoco 260 GTX Unleaded Race Fuel 98 R+M/2 Octane; Sunoco 260 GT Unleaded Race Fuel 100 R+M/2 Octane; Sunoco Standard Leaded Race Fuel 110 R+M/2 Octane; Sunoco Supreme Leaded Race Fuel 112 R+M/2 Octane; and Sunoco Maximal Leaded Race Fuel 116 R+M/2 Octane. SM and B-Spec classes are restricted to 93 octane unleaded gasoline; SRF and SRF3 classes are restricted to 100 octane unleaded; T1, T2, T3 and T4 classes are restricted to 93, 98 or 100 octane unleaded. All other classes, except those required to use diesel fuel, may choose to run any of the available gasolines, including 93, 98 or 100 octane unleaded and 110, 112, or 116 octane leaded. The 93 and 100 octane unleaded fuels contain ethanol. Fuel will be available from Sunday, September 20, 2015 through September 26, 2015 from 8:00 am – 5:30 pm, and on September 27, 2015 from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Maximal 116 octane gasoline and diesel fuel is available only in 55 gallon drums and must be pre-ordered through Rick Williams, Southern Racing Fuels (gojuiceman@aol.com or (877) 240-3278)) before September 11, 2015. No other fuel will be sold in drums. ? Competitors shall declare which fuel they are using. • Mixing fuels of different octanes is prohibited.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

I'm not running SCCA, just some local Midwestern Council club events. According to Google , with a compression ratio of 12.5 :1, I should run 100-110 octane.

Contributing Member

well then make it easy for yourself, run VP 105 unleaded and call it a day. or whichever fuel you run make sure its good for your 12.5:1 compression ratio. you should be able to get that really easy.

Thread Information