Liked: 1

Default thinking F1200 in 2016

Hi all,

I have been thinking about buying a Formula Vee to race in Ontario Canada. I have done a lot of lapping/autocrossing in a modified Toyota MR2 and iceracing in a MR2 as well. I have also been to targa twice as a crew and once as a co-driver. I feel it is time to get racing for real and the F1200 series seems like cheap close racing. I wrench and modify my own and intend to do so on the F1200 as it seems like a very simple car, I see no reason why I could not rebuild my own motor when/if the time comes.

I had a look at Giulio's car for sale in Hamilton, ON and aside from the laydown seating (seems hard to see out of) it looks clean and seems to fit me pretty well. I am a little hesitant with the laydown seating and the age of the car as I want something that will be capable of running near the front. Don't get me wrong I don't have the idea that I will be running up at the front any time soon but I don't want to have to get a new car in two years after I do have ambitions to run at the front.

The car seems to have the zero roll in the back with adjustable high bits and bushings up front (not bearings I see in some cars???)

The car came from the USA and I was not sure if it had a legal intake to be able to run in Canada but it has very nice cooling ducts and a airbox with filter that all looked to be well made.

The car has a long box so I thing for Canada I would need to get my hands on a short box gear set. What would that cost? Is it hard to pull apart the trans and set up the clearances or whatever? dial indicators and plasti gauge are not new to me.

How long are tanks good for? I think belts are 5 years and will need replacing (not a big deal)

I would need to get my race license but thought maybe my experience would count for something. What's it cost to get thought the race school? I can only find the $226 yearly fee.

I intend to come out to the F1200 race late June and would love to meet up with someone racing to get a better understanding of what I am getting into. Anyone want a shadow for the day?

Obviously some of my questions concerns are CASC specific but most are just formula vee so feel free to comment or whatever no mater where you race.

Thanks guys & girls???
    Brian Sexsmith

Liked: 51

Default F 1200

Hello
    Although I am just running the Challenge Cup
    Series this year.
    I am sure if you poke your head in at anyone in the
    F1200 pit area usually in the second level
    All your concerns can be answered. Don't be afraid to ask any questions
    Also older vees are just as competitive as newer cars , if prepped right
    The Caldwell is a good car, I suggest. Sitting in a few car s
    If you can,
    If you are interested we have a mysterian
    In the states with a fresh Vallis motor and transmission
    That is available. Car # 88 in some of the pictures
    Also suggest you follow the website s
    Such ad f1200 / challenge cup / and north east racing
    Bill Vallis is also a wealth of knowledge

Cheers
    Desmond

Liked: 36

Brian,

Go to the pit area when you come to the track...#3 Kapelke Tuning
    BRD and talk to Kevin & his Dad,Kevin has bought a Formula Ford 1600 and will
    be running that class in 2016,so his F1200 will be for sale as far as I know .You
    will get a front running F1200,check out the race results for May2\3rd race
    W/End at Mosport.I retired from F1200 2 years ago,but if I had not I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Liked: 51

Default F 1200

Hello
    Although I am just running the Challenge Cup
    Series this year.
    I am sure if you poke your head in at anyone in the
    F1200 pit area usually in the second level
    All your concerns can be answered. Don't be afraid to ask any questions
    Also older bees are just as competitive as newer cars , if prepped right
    The Caldwell is a good car, I suggest. Sitting in a few car s
    If you can,
    If you are interested we have a mysterian
    In the states with a fresh Vallis motor and transmission
    That is available. Car # 88 in some of the pictures
    Also suggest you follow the website s
    Such ad f1200 / challenge cup / and north east racing
    Bill Vallis is also a wealth of knowledge

Cheers
    Desmond
    Last edited by fvhopeful; 05.11.15 at 7:16 PM.

Liked: 15

PM me I will give my phone # we can have a chat. I will have all my 1200 stuff for sale at the end of the year. As Frank said I have 2014 BRD. We have a lot of parts and our car is top notch.
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Liked: 200

Hi Brian,
    First off, I think that all who are involved will agree with me that F1200 racing is some of the best wheel to wheel racing you will find in North America.

Second, if you are looking for a top modern car at a reasonable price, we have a Protoform P2 for sale: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65975. It's in Markham, so not far from you.

It's a proven multi-race winner in Canada and US, with a very strong engine with 0 time on it. The car has data and is absolutely ready to race. You can email me or give me a call if you'd like to come see it.

Shane
    spviccary@rogers.com
    647-290-8048
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Thanks for all the reply's, I had a great chat with Kevin last night (thanks again) I will definite be out to see you guys late June. I am adding up costs now as that will be a make or break for me.

Brian

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 105

Brain, the options for cars are out there. The beauty of F1200 /FV. The age of the Car does not matter as much as the driver. Yes you can tweak a car, make it look good, have good parts, but in the end, can you keep up to the others.

All the cars mentioned in the previous posts would be considered competitive. Some are prepped better than others.

Come out in June, walk the Paddock, spend time will all the drivers, watch the races.

There is not closer form of racing, with a relativly low cost (operating) as our series.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out and I will answer any questions you may have.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 18

I'll throw my hat in the ring.
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65960

1 hour on engine.
    Ran it at Calabogie for the F-Libre Challenge race last Friday. Car is in top condition and ready for a season of racing.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Default Vallis Motorsports

Bill Vallis has been the backbone of Canadian FV/F1200 since the 70s. No sales pitch or agenda other than what's best for you as a F1200 racer. Make sure you include "Billy Vee" in your research and weigh his comments seriously. Cheers!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Hi All,

I will be heading to CTMP tomorrow morning to see some racing and check out your cars.

I have started to add things up and it seems like by the time I buy a car and run a full season in 2017 I will be in for like 17 grand! Big jump from the autocrossing, lapping, and iceracing I am used to.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Quote Originally Posted by briansexsmith View Post
    Hi All,

I will be heading to CTMP tomorrow morning to see some racing and check out your cars.

I have started to add things up and it seems like by the time I buy a car and run a full season in 2017 I will be in for like 17 grand! Big jump from the autocrossing, lapping, and iceracing I am used to.
    That is probably an accurate assessment. I don't know how you buy a car, in any class, get the support and drivers equipment, get your competition license, and show up at your first race without spending $10K. Be wary of people who tell you otherwise You will enjoy it.

You can save some money on support and driver equipment if you find people getting out or spiteful ex-wives.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 105

Quote Originally Posted by briansexsmith View Post
    Hi All,

Will be glad to see you pout there. There is a great "Cross Reference" of drivers from Young to Old that will be more than happy to speak with you.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Thread Information