Liked: 11

Default How do you store your FV?

I believe that I have run across a good entry FV for solo racing to start. I have a tight garage space being a 2 car with a 4' bump to the side. I have a small work bench and my tools plus kids toys there. I am looking at options for storage. In the winter I like to get my wifes traverse in out of the cold, but I also have a 2003 corvette that is always parked inside. Looking for some creatuve ways to add space. I was thinking about building some sort of self standing loft/lift out of 8x8s and other boards and have my buddies help me lift the car up on it and have castors so I can roll it to the far wall and pull the front of the corvette under it. Post whatyou guys do...I am sure this is addictive and if I run across more deals I would end up with needing a rack system to stack cars.

Liked: 31

I don't have any pictures with me, but I had 2 vees nose to nose in my garage with one nose raised so the other would go under. Depending on how the rear half of the chassis is built, you could drain the fluids and basically stand it up on end against the wall. it's a vee, it should weigh less 1000 lbs, you don't need anything nearly as heavy as 8x8 to support it. If I had regular trusses I'd be tempted to lay some 4x4 across them and hang it from the ceiling (with multiple chains)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default quit screwing around

dude, you know it, you need another garage, just saying.... good luck....have fun

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 24

Default Garage Storage

You need one of these
    Canadian link but our COSTCO automotive stuff is imported from the US.

http://www.costco.ca/Dannmar-MaxJax%....10344259.html

Dave C.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

How tall is your ceiling?
    Graham

At least 10' but I would have to check it for exact. I know it is higher then my last place which was 9'.

Liked: 88

Default Storage

If you can (and want to) store a trailer at your house- a small enclosed trailer may be the answer. Most FV's can fit in a 10' long enclosed trailer if you remove the nose. (I did it for 5 years.) There is not a lot of room for other things, but it will work. It takes up minimal space at your house and they are relatively cheap new- and you can usually find them on the used market from the motorcycle guys.

Besides providing off season storage, an enclosed trailer is real nice to have when you are towing through a rain storm. A 10' single axle enclosed trailer with an FV inside can be towed by most vehicles.

Larry Campbell
    Campbell Motorsport

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell Motorsport View Post
    If you can (and want to) store a trailer at your house- a small enclosed trailer may be the answer. Most FV's can fit in a 10' long enclosed tr. ler if you remove the nose. (I did it for 5 years.) There is not a lot of room for other things, but it will work. It takes up minimal space at your house and they are relatively cheap new- and you can usually find them on the used market from the motorcycle guys.

Besides providing off season storage, an enclosed trailer is real nice to have when you are towing through a rain storm. A 10' single axle enclosed trailer with an FV inside can be towed by most vehicles.

Larry Campbell
    Campbell Motorsport
    I may look at this...at least before winter hits. I can have trailers but not storage sheds...go figure. So I could park it in my driveway and put my smaller suv in front of it . Hopefully at some point I will be making the sriveway wider too.

Anyone have some photos? Lets see what you have to borrow ideas from.

Liked: 113

for the winter I have seeing some one put a vee on high stands sideways in the front of the garage and then was able to park the nose of the street car underneath. This is a car that was driven every day.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 27

Default I Used a manual-pump pallet lift

My garage has standard ceilings and I could put the bottom FV on jack stands to work on it or store it. Google pallet lift to see what they look like.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 04.09.16 at 8:29 AM.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrancis View Post
    My garage has standard ceilings and I could put the bottom FV on jack stands to work on it or store it.
    Where did you get that lift? Looks free standing and movable?

I got it on craigslist for $100. It lifts 1500 pound pallets up to 15 feet high. This one had a manual foot pump for the lift and it was on swivel-steel casters to move around. They make electric and propane-powered models too but they take up more room. This setup took about 3/4 of a carspace in my garage with both FV's.

This is what my garage looked like a week before I got the pallet lift. It was taking almost 2 full bays. After I installed the transaxle and engine on the bottom FV, I put rolller-platforms on all 4 wheels and just rolled it out when I needed to work on it. rolled it back in when done. It really made a huge difference space-wise.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 04.09.16 at 8:29 AM.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrancis View Post
    This is what my garage looked like a week before I got the pallet lift. It was taking almost 2 full bays. After I installed the transaxle and engine on the bottom FV, I put rolller-platforms on all 4 wheels and just rolled it out when I needed to work on it. rolled it back in when done. It really made a huge difference space-wise.
    That would really come in handy. I am going to look for one. I could use that to lift it up and park my mower under it or even put it on and then push it sideways and pull the nose of my car under it.

Cheapest I saw around here was $850

I saw this one. A little more than mine but it is electric and mine was manual. I got mine from a warehouse that was closing and they were selling all their equipment.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/4971900914.html
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 05.13.15 at 9:49 AM.

I was using some of the wrong search terms. Ended up finding one for about $350 new, not sure how good it is but as long as it is stable it will work.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

That's a good price for a new one. Post some photos when you can. You can always strap it to a wall for stability.

Thread Information