Thread: Catch Cans

Liked: 14

Default Catch Cans

I used an empty plastic water bottle as a catch can for my oil breather. Is it okay to use a plastic bottle as a catch can?

Also, does the transmission breather need a catch can as well?

Liked: 95

Default Catch can

I suspect you are new which is great. Most tech people do not like a plastic water (or any plastic) which will not be capable of "taking" 200 degree temps cause it basically is useless at the catching part let alone the holding part. Most people's experience with plastic is that they don't hold up and when you do get one to hold up it cracks or splits anyway. Although it fulfills some segments of the purpose of a catch can I have used an aluminum bike water container off a ten speed bike. And they are available cheap. Except that for SCCA you are supposed to be able to "view" externally for full.
    Yes so far as I know the gearbox most definitely needs to vent to the same (simpler) catch can. Others will chime in but you can't beat the price and NO plastic to break, melt or otherwise. The chances of making an annual with a plastic water bottle are zero or they should be IMO.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 947

Default Plastics...

I think it depends on the plastic. If it will tolerate boiling water without collapsing and you keep it away from the header, you should be ok. My plastic water bottle started to melt from the radiant heat from the header above it.

I use bike water bottle cages attached on my Zink chassis and aluminum bottles. They work fine. I like them because they look neat and clean.

I have seen quart plastic oil bottles used as catch bottles, without objections from tech. I happen to volunteer as a regional tech inspector. Inspectors do advise to mount plastic bottles away from heat sources. If you are unsure, ask your tech steward for their opinion.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 303

I've noticed quite a few 1 qt. plastic oil containers used as catch cans. I see no problem with it as long as it is not mounted close to high heat.

Ye, the gearbox breather is required to be routed to the catch can.

Liked: 67

cheap metal alternatives.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-75...d77c09&vxp=mtr

Or one of those metal beer bottles/tall boy beer cans

Liked: 610

Default Catch Cans

At one time (it may still be this way) they (Tech?) wanted to be able to see how much was inside your catch tank, so a clear plastic type was preferred. They didn't want cars entering the track which had tanks already at a full capacity.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 830

I use a CLEAR Quaker State oil bottle with great success. I does slightly distort from the heat (mine is mounted at the firewall in front of the engine), so I change it every 3 or 4 years. I use a Gatorade bottle for the trans - much more substantial than most 'bottled water' containers - been there since the car was constructed in '08. I was a bit concerned since it's between the high mount collector and the top of the trans case, but I've seen NO issues with it there so far.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 159

Default plastic bottles

Pegasus has a round plastic catch bottle that I have used for years in many different cars (for water and oil). Never had a problem.....but it is always a long way from the exhaust.

Remember the bottle needs to be 1 qt capacity to meet the rules.

Jerry

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    ..I have used for years in many different cars (for water and oil). Never had a problem..
    NEVER use the SAME catch bottle for oil breather and radiator overflow unless, you really enjoy cooling your engine with oil or, lubricating your engine with water.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 303

Good time to point something else out. I suffered from a slightly slipping clutch and general oiliness last season. I changed the rear main seal several times thinking it was the problem. Did not help.

I have determined, but am not certain yet, that my openings in the catch can were not large enough and I probably had high pressure in the case. I got this from a comment Stevan made here or on the FV website about opening size when trying to find something related. So, I've made a new catchcan with big openings and hope it is the solution to my problem.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    NEVER use the SAME catch bottle for oil breather and radiator overflow unless, you really enjoy cooling your engine with oil or, lubricating your engine with water.
    Yeah, My RF78 came with that "feature" when I bought it. I kept wondering why the water always had some oil floating on top!

Liked: 4

Default Confused

I'm confused how using the same catch can will allow your oil and water to mix? The catch can is vented to the air so pressure shouldn't be building up. So that should keep the water or oil from being forced into the other system. Are people using it like a standard water overflow, where the water is sucked back into the cooling system when the system cools?

Paul

Liked: 0

2 recovery bottles are required or it is possible to draw the mixed fluid back into the cooling system. I found a (2) narrow Nalgene water bottle at REI that work great. Most polyethelyenes melt at above 300F so as long as the bottls are away from the exhaust they work fine. If you can find polycarbonate bottles they have a higher melt temperature.

Ritchie

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Gatorade bottle have always worked well for me. I'm not sure what kind of plastic they use, but it lasts forever and the bottles are very strong.

BTW, why are people talking about cooling systems in a thread about FVs?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information