Liked: 94

Default Question for Citation owners

When removing the rockers in the steering, I've removed the two bolts and the plate that sits on top of the rocker but how do you get the rod out that the two roller bearing ride on?

I would like to pull the rockers off, check and repack the bearings but I would also like to figure out how it is done in the garage in case I ever need to do it at the track.

Help me before I grab a pair of ViceGrips, mar the hell out of the surface of the rod, and am never able to get the bearings on again. Thanks.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 88

The .500 dowel is held in place with a short 10-32 set screw. The end of the set screw is flush or slight recessed into the block. Look in the block welded on the beam, there may be some dirt in the hole so it is difficult to see the screws. I always weld the pads on with the set screw facing forward - some weld them with the set screw facing the rear of the car, so look on both sides of the block.

Larry Campbell

Liked: 1403

If there is not a set screw, then the pin is just pressed into the block. In that case you will need to get 2 small pry bars and work the pin out by gently prying the arm up, equal pressure on opposite sides of the arm.

On some arms there is a set screw to retain the bearing. You can remove that screw and grease the bearing through that hole.

Liked: 303

My rockers do not have the set screw.

I just checked and mine are "loose" enough that I can remove the bottom bearing and then slide the top plate off with the upper bearing. But, I've done this before, so if you do not have the set screw, as Steve said you may need to carefully pry it up. The bottom bearing should fall out as you do that.

OK, re-reading your post - Have you removed the rockers from the welded on block? My top plate has the bearing shaft welded to it, so when you remove the top plate the rocker (or bellcrank), shaft, and bearings come with it. Maybe there is a different design that has the bearing shaft fixed in the welded on the beam block, and thus the set screw in the welded on the beam block

Thanks for the responses. My car has the setscrew in the front side of the welded-on block. Removed the screw and the dowel comes out with little effort. Not sure how I missed that but it was late, my hands and brain were tired, the dog ate my homework, etc..

BLS...my bearings are not welded in place. The top comes out easily when you tap the bellcrank up after removing the bolts and plate. The bottoms didn't want to lift off the dowel just because of a little bit of corrosion and they've been in that same spot under some pressure for a long time.

Thanks again for the help Larry, Steve, and BLS!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 303

Matt,

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I did not mean my bearings are welded in place. On mine the bearing shaft is welded to the top plate. Yours is apparently different and has the shaft inserted in the block and secured with a set screw. Either way would seem to be fine.

Barry

Barry...I wasn't sure what you meant by that in your first post. Now I understand.

Funny because I was trying to figure out how I could use the plate to remove the dowel. If it was welded to the dowel that would have been perfect!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Thread Information