Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default NOLA INDY weekend SPOILERS

Was checking on the INDY weekend at NOLA with F2000 and PRO Mazda on Coopers.

Since we ran NOLA Majors a few weeks ago I was interested in comparing lap times not that it makes any difference. Different cars, different tires, different conditions, Practice sessions, Etc. So obviously these guys will get much quicker.

F2000 quickest Session 1 was 1:40.8. Session 2 1:38.3
    Pro Mazda quickest Session 1 was 1:34.8.

In my Van Diemen F1000 we ran a 1:37.3 with 5 cycle tires and Sunday race at 1:38.1 on 7 cycle tires. Dry track conditions.
    Last edited by crowe motorsports; 04.10.15 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Liked: 84

Think I ran a mid 1:33 in my stohr wf1 with a stock gxsr1000 on stickers and a 1:30 with the Hayabusa on older tires.
    BTW : Nola is one of the best tracks I've ever been to. Super quick and techincal. Awesome fun track. I recommend everyone check it out. Not to mention it's New Orleans
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 0

I'm about two and a half hours west of the track, they have done absolutely zero advertising for the race. One tv station in Lafayette did run a news segment on a young girl from Lafayette who will be racing in the MX-5 Cup race, but they never even mentioned the Indy Cars.
    I was planning on going, but last week they announced they would have no onsite parking for spectators, parking area will be on the shoulder and median areas of Lapalco BLVD for $20 per day, shuttle bus included. Unless they have a lot of police protection in the parking areas the locals will steal everything not tied down. The crime rate there is so ridiculous that private citizens are funding extra police patrols in the French Quarter because the city is broke.

I think the track has a three year deal with Indy Car, hope they get a good enough turnout to make more races possible.

Liked: 2

Maybe they didn't advertise in Eunice because they knew you would not go anyway.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default NOLA took a few corners out for the weekend

I am watching qualifying and they took several corners out of the chicane and thereafter making it a straight. So the track would be quicker than what we ran at the March Majors.

I think the weather was crappy. Can anyone confirm?

Liked: 114

Default NOLA WX

JP
    Indy Car cancelled "Q" due to heavy rains. Believe they ran the 1st session and decided to cancel afterward. Pro Mazda was also rained out.

BTW JP, am coming with Critter to VIR -- look fwd to seeing you there

Liked: 235

Holy crap that was a stinkfest. Started on rains and wasn't too bad. But soon had to switch to slicks despite the remaining puddles. It's a nice layout but built over a swamp I think. Got a yellow, bunched the cars, went green, crashed, yellow. Repeat perhaps 5 or 6 times for an hour and finish under the yellow when the race was mercifully timed out. Hinchcliffe won because their strategy was to just stay out on old tires and fumes. Worked wonderfully.

Highlight included Stefano Coletti crashing on a restart when his car careened to the right after hitting a puddle at about 150. Hit a curved guard rail where there was an opening between rails. The back of the car hit it square and spun back onto the track facing the correct direction dragging bodywork and he nailed the throttle without falling to last. Had to have his gearbox fixed but got back into it.

Finished under the yellow when Hunter-Reay squeezed Pagenaud off the track. Pagenaud, sliding through the drenched grass, came back on track as a passenger, all locked up and out of control. Hit Hunter-Reay and the two of them smashed into an innocent Bourdais, almost killing him when airborne cars and debris just missed his head and then hit a barrier breaking the tub around the middle of the wheelbase.

I think the F1 race was better but I'm not sure.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Simona finished 4th in her first race back after having missed 2013.
    Jim

Liked: 702

Guess I can delete it off my DVR.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Ok....again... just for the record, in the configuration that we just ran in the majors last month it can easily be considered one of the best tracks you can run all year. Don't take my word for it, ask anyone that was there. It was great. I really hope everyone shows up next year. Also the local SCCA people are just as great. Loved everyone I met. I never felt unsafe for myself or gear. Not for a second.

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Finished under the yellow when Hunter-Reay squeezed Pagenaud off the track. Pagenaud, sliding through the drenched grass, came back on track as a passenger, all locked up and out of control. Hit Hunter-Reay and the two of them smashed into an innocent Bourdais, almost killing him when airborne cars and debris just missed his head and then hit a barrier breaking the tub around the middle of the wheelbase.

I think the F1 race was better but I'm not sure.

Some of us haven't watched the race yet. In a thread not in the F1/Indy section, I would not have expected spoilers.

Doug i apologize. I wondered about the spoiler issue after posting but decided that people would stay away from threads with F1 or Indycar in the subject.
    Jim

Liked: 2

Thanks JohnPaul for your comments about the track. I hear that from a lot of racers who come here. I worked turn 5 and all the test days that the IndyCars came here. The track did not show its potential for having great race. The worst possible thing happened, it rained all weekend. They had no choice but to race in the wet. The forecast for Monday was worse and it has been raining all day today. They also have to be in Long Beach next week so they went ahead with the race. The race was bad of course, thats all you can say. I hope the fans will come back next year and give it a chance.

As for the crime problem, the city has it's problems just like every big city. the track is not located in a high crime area. If you go into the city you should educate yourself on what to do and where not to go, just like any tourist place.

PS... I heard people talking about the Runoffs....... just saying
    Cheers

Liked: 30

This was her second as she ran St. Pete and did well there. Micheal said he is going to try and run her all season as long as the funding is found.

Thread Information