Thread: 1986 Womer FV

Liked: 0

Default 1986 Womer FV

I'm thinking of trading my '71 Moto Guzzi for an 1986 Womer.

The car hasn't been raced for an extended period but does have an SCCA logbook.

The car is complete and the motor may have been worked on my Noble before the thing was parked.

Since it's too new for vintage, is there any way for this car to be reasonably competitive with a decent motor?

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by tomgehringer View Post
    I'm thinking of trading my '71 Moto Guzzi for an 1986 Womer.

The car hasn't been raced for an extended period but does have an SCCA logbook.

The car is complete and the motor may have been worked on my Noble before the thing was parked.

Since it's too new for vintage, is there any way for this car to be reasonably competitive with a decent motor?
    Short answer is YES but it takes more than just a engine to be competitive in FV.
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I converted the second EV-3 to a Formula First. I'm not sure what year it was built but the roll bar tubing was too small to be compliant, so Ed Womer cut it all off at the frame rails, updated everything to the current configuration and got it dual-homologated for FV and FST as EV-3 number 16. It was around $1000, but all the old parts fit back on with no issues and subsequent owners have been pretty successful with the car as a Formula Vee. I would say go for it.

Liked: 13

Default Womer

Tom,

I think you are referring to my old car, EV-1 and it is an 84 not an 86.

Engine was a Noble( ex- Ian Smith runoffs engine) but, was redone by Autowerks. Ralph Minotto updated the rollhoops many years ago. It is a good starter car, that handles well. Former Marrs and PHA championship car.

Rich Sweigart

Liked: 1417

Post pictures of the Moto Guzzi.

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 36

Pay cash...keep the bike....put the Motto Guzzi engine in the Vee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Emphasis on what Mark said. There are quite a few Womers still around, and they are not just starter cars. If I remember right, Anthony Parker won the NEDiv in his (2 years ago?) before selling it. Also, if you run the FV Challenge Series, Ed Womer himself will be present.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 20

Matt, thanks for bringing that championship up. Fun times.

BUT, I have to make a little correction. The black Womer and I won the NARRC which is a regional championship. Not the NED (North East Division) national/divisional championship.

AND, I would not downgrade the potential of the car by suggesting that I prepared it or drove it to its potential.

The Womers are great cars. Roomy, simple, and fast. Also, Ed was great to work with for setup and spares.

Anthony.
    Last edited by Parker; 01.02.16 at 8:05 PM.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Ah yea... my mistake. I mixed up the levels in my head. Still a great accomplishment in it's own right.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 33

Default Womer Air ducts

With this thread discussing Womers, would anyone happen to have any detailed pictures of the air ducts these cars use? Would appreciate it much if someone were to send me a couple!

For those running Womers currently, how well do the ducts work? Are they fairly effective?

Liked: 67

Some pictures can be found here
    http://yellowvee.com/
    click on womer

Liked: 1417

Also, if you can get a hold of the old issues, there was a project FV build of a new Womer in the now-defunct Formula Car magazine, which is fairly in-depth with a lot of great photos. Might have them digitally somewhere, but I know I have the actual issues, for sure.

Mike, as a side note, I have a bunch of really good Lazer photos for you if you want them for your FV gallery site.

Liked: 18

Have a look at this shot.
    http://kevindeeveyarchitect.com/wp-c...1/IMG_2336.jpg
    It shows the air scoop fixed under the cylinder head.
    Works like a charm...and not even sure its needed up north here.
    Oil temp never gets close max...I don't have a sensor for the head temps.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I used that style scoop on a First and didn't have cooling issues with the 1600, but I ran races in April, October and November so the ambient temps weren't very high. Ed Womer did talk about developing some type of deflector for the top like VW has under the cylinders, but they worked pretty well without it.

Liked: 300

Well I have been following this thread obviously with great interest and decided to go look for my sign in info since I got signed out awhile back. I did switch to the under head scoops after testing a metal type on Dean Curtis's car for a few years. The fiberglass version that I used as well as some of my other cars that had them, you can look at Kevin's pictures of his car for sale which was my own car since built in I think 97.

The scoops work pretty good and being to lazy during the years of racing to do any more development on them since they worked I never did. The things to do would be to install some splitters/baffles inside of the scoop to stop all of the air going straight to the back and making the front cylinders get their share of air as well. Like Bob mentioned I started to use the basically stock VW tin that is placed under the cylinders to force the air to go around the jugs and just put it on the top. Obviously you need to remove it from the bottom or it will keep the air from getting at the cylinders. On Dean's car he actually uses the stock top tins to attach the scoops to an force the air out the top of them and it works for him.

The chassis that I built for the defunct magazine is the car that Steve Wasnick now owns. I did do the repairs to the chassis that happened from his wreck at Mosport last year and Steve is currently putting the car back together for the opener of the Can Am Challenge opener at Mosport in May.

Since retiring from my job in MD I have moved back to central PA where I grew up and now have my shop moved here and am doing any work in PA now. I still have to move the fiberglass stuff here but need to make room for a work area for that.

Ed

Liked: 300

Getting back to the original question, yes buying the EV-1 is a good car. It started out being built by someone if I remember in NJ and I ended up buying it from the guy because he went and did a Bertol Ross school and wanted to do formula fords instead of vee's.

It was based on a Zink Z-12 chassis but had D-13 zero roll suspension. Even at 5'8" I really didn't fit into the car so I had a local sprint car builder redo the side brace and made my own bodywork using a siding brake that my dad had. I did retain the fiberglass nose from the Z-12 but everything else was .020 aluminum.

It was my second vee and I was fast right away with it and after buying a motor from Curtis Farley I was a consistent front runner and won the MARRS championship in 1987 and then built the EV-2 and went national racing.

I sold the car to another MARRS competitor Rick Rizer and I don't know who had it next but Ralph Manotto did do a rebuild of the roll bars and the bodywork and then it went to hill climbing.

So I would think that it would do quite well if set up properly and with a good motor. Lets face any vee with good equipment and properly setup is going to be competitive.

Ed

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

keep the Moto Guzzi

formula vees are available for sale everyday of the year

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information