Liked: 9

Default Don't buy from CIP1

Beware! They lied to me. They shipped me the wrong part number, that of course don't fit, after calling to verify they had it in stock and now they won't take them back so I am out $2700 on that order. Then the "Fake Chrome Wheel" they are selling with no mention that it is not real chrome. It flakes off & it is put over black paint. They used to sell the real chrome wheel because I have 4 of them. I, and a friend, bought 4 more each and these are horrible & leak at the weld seam. You can't even see the weld seam on the original ones. Someone named Chris (wouldn't give me his last name) said he was the owner, however, the website says that Steve Standbridge is the President, but they won't let you talk to him. Shop anywhere else & spread they word so no one else gets ripped off like me.

Liked: 304

Greg, don't know that it will help - I ordered some inner beam bushings a couple years back and received the wrong parts.

After figuring out what they shipped Vs what I ordered, they sent the new parts and told me to keep the wrong ones.

I spoke with and emailed Megan. Have no idea if she is still there but might be worth a shot:
    megan@cip1.com

Anything I can I purchase through Dietmar

(619) 561-7774
    http://www.quixoteracing.com/

Default Way past Megan

I do buy from Dietmar.
    CIP1 are OK with small stuff like that. That is why I started buying there. It was more of their attitude and unwillingness to do anything. Back in the 70s, I bought everything from NOPI, they went away from aircooled VW to everything else Asian. Then, CB Performance, and then they started offering less. There is no "One Stop Shopping" for Vee parts, unless something is out there that Google can't find.

Liked: 49

Curious what it was that cost $2700?

I haven't had any trouble with cip1, then again they're fairly local and it's easy/cheap enough to ship stuff back to them. They're also great supporters and sponsors of our local annual FV race, one of their guys comes to the BBQ every year and they give out tons of stuff. I'm disappointed that you had issues with them, but I'd love to know the details of what your ordered vs what you got and all that. I think they have the standard return policies like most mail order places, what was their reason not to take the parts back?

Liked: 3

As Tiago mentioned, the FV community here on the northern west coast has been dealing with CIP1 for a number of years with few or no issues. I personally have used other suppliers across North America and have realized that buying close to home works the best for me. I have had a couple of "hick-ups" along the way, but the problems were dealt with in a professional manor, and promptly. I have always had courteous, helpful and professional advise from Kris and the staff.
    It's unfortunate this happened, but I'm sure there is a compromise that would make both party's content.
    And yes, CIP1 is a staunch supporter of our annual FV race.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Must've bought 8 or 10 of the 15 x 12" chrome wheels to get that total.

We rarely buy from them but haven't had any issues when we have. If you want your parts fast though forget about it, at least a week to get to Washington from the land just to the north.
    Good prices but some iffy quality...
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

I have purchased air cooled vw parts from cip1 for many years, and have never had any problems with their service or products. Their staff has always been knowledgeable and courteous. I hope you are able to resolve your issues with them.

John Haftner

Liked: 7

Please update with a little more details and if there is some fair resolution. I am a recent FV owner and also in the NW so i am both vulnerable and likely excited about having decent parts suppliers close to home. These shared experiences are important and if powerful if accurate and properly presented.

Liked: 72

It is my understanding that there are 2 CIP companies. One in the US and one in Canada.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 58

Default Bearings

Brian:

I THINK it is the same company- just two different outlets across an imaginary line.

My question is for those that are having difficulty finding FV (VW) parts. What parts are you NOT finding. I have posed this question to several of my customers since this thread and the BEARING thread started and they (and I ) have no clue as to what parts are not attainable. Maybe some hints and I can expand my inventory.

Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com
    Last edited by Dietmar; 04.08.15 at 11:18 AM. Reason: text error

They are the same companies but completely separate entities due to the two country's tax and philosophies.

Frankly Deitmar, I've been making that offer to help folks find parts for years with virtually no success. It appears that some keyboard commandos rather P&M about issues than find resolution. May the flaming begin.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

Not exactly true.... I posted "can you tell me where I can purchase BALL bearings for the front end"

Nobody offered to sell any from their "inventory" or from the shelf/bin/bucket/whatever in their "garage".

If you go back to the post the answers I received were "try Samba, try Ebay sometimes, try etc,,,,, I was looking for a website that I could go to (instead of try), insert a part number and then a credit card number... kind of like purchasing anything else online in the current times.

Not sure if I am being referred to as a "keyboard commando" but I would be more than willing to ask the same question in person without any hesitation. Where do you purchase Ball Bearings for the front end? Its a pretty simple/elementary question with many different answers but no specific path.

I did find an answer thanks to Motion Industries. I purchased from them at what some people would call a premium price. Motion Industries also said the inventory is very limited for a ball bearing of these sizes & manufacture and (drum roll please) when they are gone, they will be all gone. Kind of like some others parts to the FV community........

You're right about the ball bearings but since the rollers are a suitable, and some think superior alternative, I wouldn't stress about having to have the ball style. See my earlier post about balls vs. rollers.

My sources might have used, but that would be far short of new rollers. My offer stands if you want me to find some but like your bearing supplier told you, they won't be cheap.

I have no problems with folks who are on the forum with questions and the desire to learn more about our cars. My issues are with those who only post negative things and flame folks who don't agree with them.

Default Don't buy from CIP1

I ordered 5 sets of Kolbenschmidt pistons & cylinders over the phone (big mistake), part number 111-198-057A. They shipped the same part number without the A and they are for a 36 hp and are not usable in a Vee. And of course, since I called, I had no record so it was my word vs theirs and they won't take them back, much less the $250 shipping. Now it looks like we might get forged pistons (I & others have requested thru the Comp Board) so it may be a moot point.
    Then the "Painted Chrome" (actually aluminum with clear) that they sell now fiasco happened and when all was said & done, I told him that it was not real chrome that was false advertising, Kris told me "Don't bother getting a lawyer, I am in Canada".
    I am sure most of their transactions are seamless, but I would hate to see anyone else go through what I experienced. Koko, Autohaus, Aircooled & CB Performance are just a few other sources besides Dietmar that are online. You Left Coast guys are getting all the benefits and we get all the costs.
    See y'all in the Runoffs.

Liked: 304

It's a pretty crappy company that will not take back an order, even if you made a mistake, and especially when the mistake is an easy one that they could have made.

As for the wheels, if they say chrome, one would expect chrome.

Maybe some of our Canadian FV friends can make a complaint or three and get their attention.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Greg I feel your pain. Believe me I have learned the hard way too. Most shippers do not offer credit. It's not like going to Sears or WalMart. Yea, it's kinda cold but most wholesale or catalog companies don't take stuff back and if they do, there will be a restocking charge.

Folks, VW part numbers have intelligence built into the numbering system. Unlike newer part numbering systems which are generally randomly assigned, the vw part numbers mean something.

I won't go into all the boring details, but the first 3 digits designate the model and sometime the year. The first digit is the type of VW. If the first digit is a one (1) it means type 1 or beetle. If it is 2 then it's type 2 or bus and so on. 111 is generally a type one prior to 1963 or 36hp early beetles. 113 is the 40hp and if the part doesn't change over time, like a valve cover, then it will continue to carry the starting number of the first year used. Rod and main bearings have been the same since the beginning of time and still carry the 111 starting numbers. Later model stuff gets a bit more complicated since both types 1 & 3 share parts. In this case, the starting digits are generally 311 and it's not likely you'll be able to use the part in a vee.

A 40hp head part number is 113-101-373, a 1300cc head, the next in line time wise, is 311-101-373. As you can see you need to really look at part numbers and kinda know what they mean. I believe the SAMBA website has info on numbers.

As you can see it gets complicated and trusting a parts guy who wasn't even around in the 60's is chancy at best.

Liked: 76

I don't know about present suppliers but when I was in business as dre inc. we always took back or exchanged parts that did not fit or were ordered or shipped in error, I know when Jim Schings purchased dre from me he also went out of his way to keep his customers happy and be sure of the quality of the parts he sold were suitable for racing. It has become increasingly harder to locate quality new (and sometimes used parts) for FV. The suppliers of Air cooled VW parts have dwindled substantially ove the last 20 or so years. The worldwide market has been reduced to a few Hobby guys and a"group of nuts"known as the U.S. formula vee racers. I love this class but the reality is manufacture your own parts at for greater cost than previously or learn Spanish, buy a truck and go thru Mexico,Central America, and Brazil stopping at every old VW shop and Junk yard till you fill it up. Bring it back to the U.S. and repeat.
    Butch
    butch deer

Thread Information