Liked: 14

Default Looking for the Bandersnatch FV

In 1968 I built and raced a FV in the Northeast which I named the Bandersnatch. Now that I'm retired with time on my hands I would really love to bring the Bandersnatch back home, restore it and maybe even enter it in a few vintage racing events. The last owner I know of was Bill Rutan of Centerbrook CT, who sold it several years ago. I would greatly appreciate receiving any information on its present whereabouts and condition, so if you know anything about it, please let me know. Thanks.

Tip Chaffee
    wchaffee1@aol.com

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Any pictures? Us vintage guys are more visual....then familiar with old names?

Liked: 830

Tip,
    In 2001, Bill Rutan signed up in the FV Registry. He was looking for a buyer for the Bandersnatch. Have you talked to him about it? If you need contact info, reach me at Steve at WedgeRacing.com
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

I don't have any pictures of the Bandersnatch any more, but I can tell you it was a very low and narrow wedge design with the driver in an extreme reclining position much like an enduro kart. The roll bar was flush with the top of the fan housing and the fuel tank was under my knees so my body could be as far back and as flat as possible. There was no separate body - only aluminum sheet pop riveted to the square mild steel frame tubing with an aluminum sheet wedge nose piece and an aluminum sheet engine cover.

I've been in touch with Bill Rutan. He has told me he'll see if he can find the time to go through his receipts and tell me who bought my car. I'm hoping he can provide me with a name and contact info.

In the meantime I hope I'll be able to track down the car's whereabouts through the internet. My next step is to contact nefv.org and see if anyone there can help me.

So thanks in advance to all of you who can help me in my (nostalgic) quest.

Tip Chaffee

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Any pictures? Us vintage guys are more visual....then familiar with old names?
    Bill sent me pictures in 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	53068  

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Hi Bob --

Wow !! Thanks for the photo. I can hardly believe my car is still basically intact except for an engine (positive camber on the rear wheel) and some peeling paint -- or at least it was four years ago. I just hope it's still in the same condition today. Having your picture of my car should be a great help in identifying and locating it, and hopefully bringing it home.

Could I ask you for a small favor ? Would you be able to send me the picture(s) you have as an email attachment ? That will make my sleuthing a lot easier. And thanks again for your help. My heart did skip at least one beat when I saw the picture.

Tip

Default Bandersnatch

FOUND !!! Through herculean effort, former Bandersnatch owner Bill Rutan was able to put me in touch with the person who bought my car from him nearly four years ago. Last night I arranged to buy it back, so I now have my winter bucket list project !

Many thanks to all of you who helped me over the past three months. I never could have found the car without you. Happy racing !!

Tip Chaffee

Liked: 11

Wow, that is awesome. Not only to find it but find it and a willing seller.

Congrats and good luck.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by tipchaffee View Post
    In 1968 I built and raced a FV in the Northeast which I named the Bandersnatch. Now that I'm retired with time on my hands I would really love to bring the Bandersnatch back home, restore it and maybe even enter it in a few vintage racing events. The last owner I know of was Bill Rutan of Centerbrook CT, who sold it several years ago. I would greatly appreciate receiving any information on its present whereabouts and condition, so if you know anything about it, please let me know. Thanks.

Tip Chaffee
    wchaffee1@aol.com

Tip,
    I just emailed you but long story short I have a youtube channel called VW Life and I interviewed the current owner of your car and am looking for photos of it for the video. I'm editing the video now and could use anything you have. Thanks!
    link to my channel www.youtube.com/VWLifeVW
    Matt

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

https://youtu.be/S874B5EmnMk

here is the video we made of your car

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

Quote Originally Posted by tipchaffee View Post
    FOUND !!! Through herculean effort, former Bandersnatch owner Bill Rutan was able to put me in touch with the person who bought my car from him nearly four years ago. Last night I arranged to buy it back, so I now have my winter bucket list project !

Many thanks to all of you who helped me over the past three months. I never could have found the car without you. Happy racing !!

Tip Chaffee

Is it possible to give multiple likes on a posting?????
    Congrats on the reunion!

bt

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information