Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 3305

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    This has to be one of the great races ever.
    Too bad I don't have a video of the 1977 Runoffs - 10-car train, any one of which could go to the front, and at least 4 in contention for the win until the last few laps.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by reset1 View Post
    1989, my first real runoffs, driving the very first F440 KBS MK5, (which had never been driven, let alone raced, before this). Some laps in, I was 6th, on the back straight coming on to a train of 2nd through 5th. Nobody told me I couldn't, so went around all four through the dip and up the hill. For about 5 seconds I was second, (behind David Elliott). But as Jay, I got light and spun. I had the good fortune to save it and eventually finished fourth. What a thrill.
    Without a doubt one of the most exciting places on any race track.
    John Puccini
    John Puccini!! It has been way too long since I crewed for Mike Keirnes when ya'll made your pilgrimage from the west coast to the Runoffs. Now rent two F600's and a solo Jeep E Mod car. But I digress. The dip meant an audible grunt from me when the car bottomed out and popping ears from the resonating exhaust noise of multiple two stokes next to me - reminded me of an AA Fuel Dragster at full song. It was a little more scary to point the car at the right bridge abutment, hoping that it will drift a little to the left to just miss it and then watch the front wheels drop out of sight as I catch air at the crest under the bridge - and do this lap after lap.

Jim
    Been messing with F4/5/6's since 1982
    Last edited by jim murphy; 03.04.15 at 3:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information