Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

lots of FV rode to Harewood and Mosport in the BED of pickup trucks way back when

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    "In a recent experiment, the quantum state (the direction it was spinning) of a light particle instantly traveled 15.5 miles (25 kilometers) across an optical fiber"

If I was only 15.5 miles from the track, I'd drive the FF there!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 604

Default learned this from a crew chief who has won National Titles

A tip for car owners with carbs and towing......after you load your car up and are ready to drive off to the track.......start your race car up and run a minute, then shut off, then tow......

here's the idea........if your car has sat a long time, you push it onto the trailer and drive away.......your float bowl is empty.......as you drive along / bump along..........think about what's going to happen to the floats in the bowl......

their adjustment may become altered by their flopping around

if they flop around less because they're in a bowl full of gas, they just might be still at your desired setting when you arrive at the track

looking for tenths?????

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    Peruse Craig'sList, there are guys that rent flat trailers and utility trailers for $40 (locally here), I am sure that you can find a simliar deal out there.
    Buy a low cost used trailer and rent a vehicle to tow the trailer. Talk to people at work and ask for ideas, you might get an offer from someone that just wants to go be part of someone's pit crew. Have you asked friends and family if they know someone that has a trailer sitting around that you can borrow? I know one racer out here that borrows a trailer until he can buy the one he wants.
    Who?

If he get's to talk racing with you for an hour or two while loading up, it's worth driving to Western NM from Phoenix......
    Last edited by marshall9; 02.19.15 at 11:38 PM.

The U Haul car haulers are really heavy. They are designed to safely and efficiently haul heavy full size street cars, so probably not good to tow behind most cars/small SUVs even empty. I used to rent one when I raced an Rx7. Normally, the rate back then was around 50.00/day. Talk to the manager at the U Haul place, as I was able to get them half price, as long as I dropped it off at a different location than the one that I picked it up from. They took up a lot of space, and the manager didn't want too many around, because he could use the space for a higher profit item to be parked at his store.

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    A tip for car owners with carbs and towing......after you load your car up and are ready to drive off to the track.......start your race car up and run a minute, then shut off, then tow......

here's the idea........if your car has sat a long time, you push it onto the trailer and drive away.......your float bowl is empty.......as you drive along / bump along..........think about what's going to happen to the floats in the bowl......

their adjustment may become altered by their flopping around

if they flop around less because they're in a bowl full of gas, they just might be still at your desired setting when you arrive at the track

looking for tenths?????
    I also have heard (may be a wives tale) never to tow with the race car in gear. Tie it down and the tow in neutral, because the back and forth motion , if the car is in gear, is moving the pistons up and down a little, with unoiled rings....shortening engine life. Maybe a little gearbox internals wear as well. Also, my shock guy says that towing shortens the time between shock rebuilds.......if you are not compressing the shocks on tie down. Tie down to prevent forward and back motion, keeping the car as close to normal ride height as possible. he says towing with an improper tie down, allowing the suspension to travel, can have the effect of driving the car the same distance... Also, remember that any tow vehicle can stop with a lot more force than it can accelerate, so keeping the car from moving forward is more important than from moving aft in/on the trailer.
    Last edited by marshall9; 02.19.15 at 11:46 PM.

Liked: 102

I broke 2 floats this year trailering. One was because I forgot to start the engine and fill the bowl. The second was a short haul after I had filled the bowl, so I was stumped as to how that one was damaged. Need to order a couple more spares….

sounds like another good reason to FIT a different engine

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

If you buy a used trailer, please consider new tires and a spare before the first out of town trip. Always, always, always. It will save a lost day of racing.

It's not always possible but try to have the loading on each tire by no more then 60% or 65% of the tire's load rating. Most trailer tires will not live long when loaded over 85% of their rated weight. Especially crossing the desert.

Examples:
    1. The tires on my street BMW run 4 to 5 degrees above ambient outside temperature at 80 MPH. Your unloaded car may be about the same.
    2. My 6000 lb 4 wheel box trailer on 2840 pound per tire ratings ran 21 degrees above ambient temp at 75 MPH.
    3. The 11000 lb box trailer on 2840 pound tires ran 47 degrees above ambient at 65 MPH. 10 more MPH adds 10 degrees to the tire temps.

If the outside temperature is 112, trailer 3 crossing the desert at 75mph will give sustained temperatures up to 169 degrees. Not good for Chinese manufacture tires.

If it's cold you can get away with pushing the tire loading envelope. Beware of Texas and Arizona, Ha.

Keep having fun,

Jim Edmonds

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

And re-pack or replace the wheel bearings !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

pride of ownership ya da Ya Da YA DA

may be time to rethink all of this and just rent cars at the track, hopefully ones near mass rapid public transportation....just saying

Liked: 604

Agree about DO NOT TOW WITH CAR IN GEAR

Tie the car down, gas in float bowl, make sure car is in neutral, at least one wheel chocked too

And after you've fired the car up to fill the bowl TURN YOUR IGNITION AND CUT-OFF SWITCHES OFF

I've heard stories of people who put a small air bag/cushion under the car after it's tied down and inflate it to the point where the car is raised just a tiny amount from the "just sitting there ride height"

and especially for my formula cars when they're in the enclosed trailer.....I never roll the car's windows up.....I made that mistake once.........it took me days to get them back down

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    sounds like another good reason to FIT a different engine
    Hmmm, New float $8 vs. FIT engine $20K.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 96

and especially for my formula cars when they're in the enclosed trailer.....I never roll the car's windows up.....I made that mistake once.........it took me days to get them back down
    Wise guy...
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information