Thread: Sebring Major

Liked: 157

Default Sebring Major

First race is done. For everyone other than JRII it was a pretty event filled race. JR, McGregor and Benson qualified seconds faster than everyone else who were tightly bunched together. At the start, those three gapped the rest but then a P2 car got in the mix and Robinson got away.

Meanwhile, behind them everyone was mixing it up and dropping their lap times significantly. Dave Livingston after chasing electric problems all weekend at Homestead got his Spectrum hooked up and 73 year old Larry Hendrickson had his DB6 going really well. So there was a big pack fighting for P4 also including Bill, Jason Generotti whose DB1 was putting down really quick laps, and John Schimenti in Treadways old DB6.

On lap 6 Benson blew his second engine in two weeks. Larry spun at turn 1 and everyone behind had to take evasive action. Jason and Bill went into 17 side by side and Bill jumped sideways over a bump and made side to side contact with Jason, with their wheels interlocked as they came onto the front straight. Luckily neither lost their cool and they separated but each had a bent toe link.

The race ended under double yellow, they came across the line as Robinson, McGregor, Larry Henrickson, Livingston, Bill then Sam Lockwood. However, in impound Dave said Larry passed him under the double yellow, Larry apologized and they asked the steward to change their positions. He said to do that Dave had to file a protest because nobody saw it. Dave declined to do so.

Provisional results:

1. John Robinson. Swift Ford
    2. Thomas McGregor Spectrum Honda
    3. Larry Hendrickson Swift Ford
    4. Dave Livingston Spectrum Honda
    5. Bill Valet Swift Honda
    6. Sam Lockwood Spectrum Honda

Edit: just spoke with John Benson, he found that his oil pump had loosened which caused the loss of oil pressure. He is hoping he didn't damage the engine because he shut it off quickly, so they expect to be ready for race two.
    Last edited by Tom Valet; 01.17.15 at 3:55 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Thanks for the recap Tom. What tires were everyone on? New Pro Series tires won't be ready till the Feb test as I understand so I am guessing R35's for many of them?

Congrats to JR2. Hope Benson is good to go for tomorrow.
    Steve Bamford

Steve, Nobody that I know of was on the new radials, and we were told when we tried to get a set that they will not be available until the Pro test race. I didn't see anyone on skinny rears either. Bill ran R45s. Jason Generotti is using Goodyears that they bought when Goodyear pulled out, they have the last of the stock of 160s.

By race time it was beautiful and 70 so I don't think anyone used 25s, but there was talk of it yesterday because it was cold for qualifying. Tomorrow the race is at 8:30 am so maybe someone will try the super stickies because it has been cold in the early morning here.

Liked: 444

Last edited by BURKY; 08.19.15 at 4:57 PM.

Race 2 is done and it was a crazy race. McGregoir was late to the grid and started from the back. He made good progress trough the field but JR2 and John Benson were pretty far ahead when a FCY came out on lap 8. On the restart, Benson's left rear suspension was damaged after contact with an FC coming through the last turn. Up to then the engine was soft but he was still running well. Behind those three was a big pack racing nicely and swapping places for P4-8.

After the resstart JR and McGregor ran nose to tail for 3 laps. Then at the end of the backstright coming into 17 on the lasst turn of the last lap McGregor ran over the back of John, getting his car in the air. John tried to keep going but spun onto the front straight. The guys behind threaded their way through with a lot of positions changing through the last turn.

Provisional results:

1. Dave Livingston
    2. John Schimenti
    3. larry Hendrickson
    4. Jason Generotti
    5. Bill Valet

The Florida regions put on two great events and we had a great time. It was our first time coming south for the winter races, we needed to get these races in because Bill cant race for the next 6 months due to school and work.

It was great to meet alot of the peoiple we know from the forums. Really enjoyed talking with Jim Morgan, EJ and jason, Burky and too many others to name them all.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 71

As an observer without a dog in the fight, this looked like a textbook example of too many classes on the track at the same time. Congrats to David

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Steve, Nobody that I know of was on the new radials, and we were told when we tried to get a set that they will not be available until the Pro test race. I didn't see anyone on skinny rears either. Bill ran R45s. Jason Generotti is using Goodyears that they bought when Goodyear pulled out, they have the last of the stock of 160s.

By race time it was beautiful and 70 so I don't think anyone used 25s, but there was talk of it yesterday because it was cold for qualifying. Tomorrow the race is at 8:30 am so maybe someone will try the super stickies because it has been cold in the early morning here.
    I was on the same set of R45's for both races. I think McGregor was on the old pro series tires (basically the same as the club R45's but the fronts are a little wider), at least for the Saturday race.

Whatever Benson was running it looked like he had a new sticker set for Sunday's race.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information