Liked: 0

Default Zetec Engine Rules - Electric Water Pumps

As per the SCCA website:

"q. A liquid cooling system is mandatory, but radiators and water pump are unrestricted. The stock water pump may be modified; electric water pumps are prohibited."

This came from:
    http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

Why/when did this come about? I modified my Zetec to use an electric water pump, without modification to any of the block components, and ran it as such at the Mid-Ohio F2000 Series races in 2013.

Is my arrangement grandfathered in, why did this change come about, and where was the call for member input?

Francis Kennette
    Last edited by fkennette; 01.10.15 at 2:30 PM. Reason: add source, spelling

Default Zetec Water Pumps

Upon further checking, the online January 2015 GCR states:

q. A liquid cooling system is mandatory, but radiator and water pump
    are unrestricted.

So what gives, are electric water pumps out? On the way out? Why?

Francis

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by fkennette View Post

are unrestricted.

Francis
    A few months ago there was a long thread on whether to allow electric fans, but this was the first I have heard of not allowing electric WP's.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 27

I think the Zetec was supposed to be all about engines that last with equal power. An electric water pump was not part of the original plan so it was clarified.......

Quote Originally Posted by fkennette View Post

are unrestricted.

Francis

Erik, (I hope thats correct):

In my view, this is a rule change, not just a clarification. You were no doubt aware of the installation on my car, as you paid me a compliment about it at the 1st Mid-O 2013 race during the debacle of trying to sort out my car.

This started out as trying to move the alternator from the axle to being engine driven, but the Mygale doesn't have enough space available to do the block modification many engines have had performed to accommodate same. So, after receiving the engine back from its "freshening", I endeavoured to see how else I could mount the alternator. I removed the water pump assembly (which can be done without touching the engine seals and had an "ah ha" moment, which of course entails the now offending electric water pump.

The GCR language regarding cooling systems (that has been in place since the arrival of the Zetec in FC/F2000) is practically the same as the FF language for the Kent engine, and FF has many examples of electric water pumps. I put one on my '97 Euroswift FF.

The rule should remain as is, unless changed through the normal channels, etc. Alternatively, my set-up should be grandfathered if the rule is changed.

Francis Kennette

Liked: 27

Francis,

I have seen so many cars since then sorry I did not remember your water pump install. However I dont write the rules. I was just stating my opinion about it. I would guess that no electric water pumps would be grandfathered in because there is no way to police who had it and who did not. All I can tell you is write a letter or call some of the FSRC guys about it.

Erik Oseth

Liked: 95

Default 5 replies????

It's my take that this topic has not had it's fair airing. With only 5 replies either nobody cares OR it is a "touchy" subject. As for me being a Pinto guy I am dead against it being allowed but that's me. Is it a rule change or not??? There have been pages and pages about other rules on Apex and now the pinto rod topic and WHY we can't have overbore is beyond anybody with any sense. Now this and nobody. I am sure lots have an opinion. Let's have an intelligent dialogue.
    BTW Purple Frog is not entirely correct I have 2 /99 VD's with pinto's now. Maybe the last 2 who knows.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Thread Information