Liked: 7

Default Body replacements

As Im shopping for which FV I pull the trigger on next month, obviously price, location, condition, and extras all are things that I'm evaluating. The other consideration that come to mind as I see different manufactures and age of cars is body part replacements. As a new and humble racer, I have to assume that my nievete may result in having to buy or have a nose or panel replaced. With this subject in mind, should I steer towards a small list of car mfg to choose from when looking at used cars who may support my efforts later as things come up?

I found a veeracing website that looked like it had links to many vee mfg, but most of the links I tried came up non-working.

Happy new year.

Liked: 113

...As long as you stay with a well know make, i.e. Mysterian, Protoform, Caracal, Vector, etc... you should have no problem finding parts for the cars. I would shy away from "one off" Vee's. I am not suggesting that they are not, or could not be good cars, rather it could potientially require "one off" parts just for that car. Unless the builder is still active, this could make repairs and refurbishment difficult. Of course, the VW parts are all common, but how they mount and things like the rear suspension and trailing arms will not necessarily be readily available. It will also be much easier to receive guidence and assistance about your car and it's handling, from a fellow competitor, if you and he have the same make of Vee.

I am only suggesting this as you stated in your post that this is all new to you. When starting out, most any Vee you choose, if in proper working order, will to you, feel the same. As you progress and move toward the sharp end of the grid, you will need to be able to gather knowledge as to what your specific Vee's traits are and how to set your car up accordingly. This is where a car from a major Vee manufacture comes in handy. In the beginning, the more you can elimate in terms of repair/maintenence/setup by going with a "know" commodity, the more time you have to concentrate on you driving.

Good Luck and welcome to the Vee community!
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 32

I agree with Chris, a one off is not always a bad thing, some very fast cars were one offs. If You want a large database of setup info and parts availability, a production car is Your best bet. Mysterian ( I have al the drawings and body molds,and have a car for sale)., Protoform, Caracal,Vortech, vector to name a few.

Feel free to call if You like 415 898 4842 days and We can chat.
    Larry Bacon
    Novato, Ca ( Bay Area)

Liked: 67

Don't forget the BRD at vallis motor sports. You can still buy new body parts for it just by making a phone call.

http://vallismotorsport.com/the-brd/

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 49

Some folks start racing vees and that opens up a whole new world of skills and stuff they enjoy doing - including fiberglass work! If you're handy, with a bit of practice you can make almost anything. But if you're a generally busy guy, or most importantly if you want to RACE rather than spend a ton of time in your garage, go for something with lots of availability. If you find a one off in good shape, it would be wise to see if you can find molds or lots of spares before pulling the trigger

As I understand it though, you're probably at the stage where it's hard to tell if something is a one off or a well supported car. I strongly recommend finding a local or nearby Vee guy to help you filter out the good cars from the bad. There are a few vee folks in OR, also Jess Heitman might be a good person to call and he'd likely know if there are any local cars for sale.

Good luck!

Liked: 51

Quote Originally Posted by mikehinkle View Post
    Don't forget the BRD at vallis motor sports. You can still buy new body parts for it just by making a phone call.

http://vallismotorsport.com/the-brd/
    If you wants to add affordability...give Bill Vallis a call. Maintenance and parts always available at reasonable prices. His tel number 905-384-0016 Help from Bill not always linked to an invoice.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

I'm starting to get a decent idea of which cars are production and not only giving me a greater chance to repurchase replacements or upgrades; but also be common enough for me to gain prep advice from other racers. I don't have national aspirations as my life has other interest to peruse as well, but I am competitive and want to be in the mix to battle for position on our regional level.

Thanks for the advice and the PM of possible cars to buy from those of you who have reached out to me.

The problem with being new is I don't know what I don't know.

Liked: 76

I believe Larry Campbell ca still support citations, probably Lasers. Al Varicins should be able to support the earlier Speed Sports he built also.
    butch deer

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information