Liked: 115

Default Warning about FV for sale on Ebay

There was an old FV for sale on Ebay that had a few photos of the car lying in the dirt, stuffed with old parts and asking $2195. It looked like the front body section was from a Bobsy Vanguard, and the rest looked very tired. I asked if there was a log book and there was none. I made an offer for parts and was not successful... I just got a notice that the car sold for $1950. and the photos that were with the SOLD auction were not the photos of the car laying in the dirt. The photos show the car on four tires (with air) and all the parts laid out nice and neat, etc. etc.

So If you know the person or persons that bought the car, make sure they look over the car top to bottom. The car was sold out of Hanover PA...

Liked: 174

Al,,

That might be the Kellison several of us have been talking about?

Mark

Liked: 5

Default I bought it - and will probably regret it

Hi Al,
    I bought it for $1650, which is probably twice what it is worth. The body looks like a Bobsy for sure, but I don't think the frame is a Kellison. Maybe a Link? I'm picking it up in a couple of weeks and will be bringing it back to MA. Yes, it appear to have been sitting outside for some time, so it will have to be taken apart and inspected.

I'm new to this forum and FV but own several vintage oval track cars. I'm no stranger to VWs since I owned many bugs and busses over the years. I bought this to tinker with, and I have a good 1500 motor that I could drop in it and perhaps set it up for Solo.

Any tips or advice (other than you shouldn't have bought that rat) would be appreciated.

Alan in MA

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Alan! GO FOR IT! gotta start somewhere!

Liked: 21

Alan - good luck. If you need anything or have any questions there are several FV guys around locally. I am in Bolton, another guy in Acton, and a few others between 495 and 128.

Also, make sure to check out http://nefv.org/North_East_Formula_Vee/Welcome.html

Bunch of contacts on there too.

Craig

Default Great Advise from Craig

Ditto:

Liked: 1115

Good on ya Alan..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Default FV picked up yesterday - need help with frame ID

Hi everyone,

I drove down to PA and picked up the FV yesterday. As usual, it was better, and worse when I looked at it in person. Most everything is there and salvageable (but rusty), wheels, pedals, seat, gas tank, shifter, linkage, etc.

I'm not sure what make it is. The glasswork is definitely Bobsy Vanguard, but the frame looks different from any Bobsy pictures I've seen on the web. The tubing is round,and not square, and it may be a Zink? I've attached a couple pics, and if anyone can help identify it, that would be great!

Thanks, Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 304

Definitely not a Zink. Not one I recognize, maybe a homebuilt.

Liked: 22

aprelias

Congrats on your FV purchase!!!!

No matter, keep in touch with the NER group, they will get you on track and get you racing!!!

ps if you lose interest, contact me, I'll buy what ya got, www.sloffiemotorsports.com

John

Liked: 2

Definitely not a Bobsy Vanguard. I have a 64 Vanguard and saw nothing familar on the frame. Although the center fibergass is similar to my Vanguard. Also, sorry but no idea what it is.
    Last edited by Bob Miller; 01.21.15 at 9:36 AM.

Liked: 115

Default FV on Ebay

Welcome...

My post was in no way telling people not to buy the car, but the photos that were first posted were not the same as the final photos on Ebay... Just look over the frame especially, as in the first photos it was buried in the dirt...

Good luck. You've joined a rare group of individuals that will help and guide you in what ever direction you choose..

Al

Liked: 3

Default bobsy vee

hi I am new to this forum . I think I can give some imput to the vee you bought . I have a 1965 vanguard bobsy formula vee .number 85 out of a 100 that were built . I am sure its not a bobsy frame . as others have pointed out. the first bobsy had a ladder bar type frame. and a side mount fiber glass gas tank .as for the body I don't think its a bobsy .in 1969 I got out of the navy and had just bought a new 1968 bug and I herd that a guy had dual carbs kits and valve covers and shifters for a vw bug that he made and sold I lived I medina ohio so with a friend we went to the vanguard shop and I bought my first shifter and valve covers and dual carb kit .after that I hung out at the vanguard shop from 1969 to early 1970s .I got to know jerry .I learned a lot from jerry and the two seater cars he made and vees the vanguard shop is still there but its a repaire shop for MGS from what I can remember jerry was allways changing things on the bodies and frames at the time I did not know what a master he was with race cars .I ALLWAYS WANTED A VANGUARD BOBSY VEE sorry about the caps brand new computer .lol my vee is running with a built 40 hp motor with vanguard dual carb set up and vanguard valve covers and a vanguard belt guard .I am going to use it for hill climbs and car shows I would love to race it but I cant replace the body or frame or me if it was hit raceing at mid ohio. by the way jerry mong still lives in medina ohio from what a friend told me. I am going to try and find him .good luck on your vee build have fun please post a picture of your vee build ..sorry about the long post spencerfvee
    Quote Originally Posted by aprelias View Post
    Hi Al,
    I bought it for $1650, which is probably twice what it is worth. The body looks like a Bobsy for sure, but I don't think the frame is a Kellison. Maybe a Link? I'm picking it up in a couple of weeks and will be bringing it back to MA. Yes, it appear to have been sitting outside for some time, so it will have to be taken apart and inspected.

I'm new to this forum and FV but own several vintage oval track cars. I'm no stranger to VWs since I owned many bugs and busses over the years. I bought this to tinker with, and I have a good 1500 motor that I could drop in it and perhaps set it up for Solo.

Any tips or advice (other than you shouldn't have bought that rat) would be appreciated.

Alan in MA

Default 1965 bobsy formula vee

hi this is pictures opf my bobsy formula vee race car . I have a new computer with 8.1 windows I tried posting but the pictures would not come on the post so I am giving you the link to my pictures on the samba if you click on forums and go to vintage speed then click on search this forum in the top left hand corner type in spencerfvee then look for 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car . http://thesamba.com this is a nice vw web site thanks spencerfvee

Default Bobsy Vee

Hi Spencer, I took a look at your Bobsy. It looks great! As you and others pointed out, mine is not a Bobsy. I'm going tear it down and restore it for Solo racing. In the meantime, I bought a 1969 Shark FV, and just returned from picking it up in Kansas City. It's ready to go and I plan on using it for SCCA driving school at NHMS later this month. I've attached a pic. Have fun, and keep the shiny side up! Alan

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Default Bobsy Vee's

by the way jerry mong still lives in medina ohio from what a friend told me. I am going to try and find him .good luck on your vee build have fun please post a picture of your vee build ..sorry about the long post spencerfvee

Spencer:
    His son, Ronald now owns Elite Fab And Machine in Hillard, Ohio. Take a look at www.elitefab.com. Jerry did sell 100 FV's.
    Have fun.......... JB

Amon is correct.
    Last edited by Jerry B.; 05.07.15 at 11:52 AM.

Liked: 174

JB,

Unless Jerry Mong passed away recently, he's still alive. I spoke with his son Ron in Columbus last summer (?) who said he was still with us.

Mark

Default spencerfvee

thanks for the info very helpful . I just got jerrys phone number from a good friend of mine . I am going to call him .and see if he wants to talk to me .hes got to be in his 80s I think . I remember ron as a kid. jerry built him a mini bike at his shop .I herd ron has his own shop in southern ohio . again thanks for the info spencerfvee
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    JB,

Unless Jerry Mong passed away recently, he's still alive. I spoke with his son Ron in Columbus last summer (?) who said he was still with us.

Mark

Default spencerfvee

hi thanks for the info . I just talked to a guy that e mailed me he said he has a bobsy vee that's number 112 . car guys are the best .car guys are allways willing to help out with with info . that's why I am into cars I will check out his sons web site again thanks spencerfvee....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
    by the way jerry mong still lives in medina ohio from what a friend told me. I am going to try and find him .good luck on your vee build have fun please post a picture of your vee build ..sorry about the long post spencerfvee

Spencer:
    His son, Ronald now owns Elite Fab And Machine in Hillard, Ohio. Take a look at www.elitefab.com. Jerry did sell 100 FV's.
    Have fun.......... JB

Amon is correct.

Default spencerfvee

hi can you tell what show you saw jerrys son at ? I was at a vw show in Columbus last year and won best of show there were over 400 vws there .in my 69 years of living I never won any thing at a car show lo ltill the Columbus show. this year I am showing up with the built 40 hp motor with all the vanguard parts on the vee I even have a old school Pepco super charger to run on the bobsy I am having fun with life thanks for the info spencerfvee
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    JB,

Mark

Default spencerfvee

hi nice looking vee .I realy like it .as you restore your vee can you post pictures of your car being restorded? as soon as I get my sisters sons 14 year old .to show me how to post pictures on this post . lol i will post pictures ..I am new to formula vees what is solo racing ? do they ever have shows for old formula vees for people that just want to show there formula vees and not race them ? good luck with your new toy

thanks
    spencerfvee...

Quote Originally Posted by aprelias View Post
    Hi Spencer, I took a look at your Bobsy. It looks great! As you and others pointed out, mine is not a Bobsy. I'm going tear it down and restore it for Solo racing. In the meantime, I bought a 1969 Shark FV, and just returned from picking it up in Kansas City. It's ready to go and I plan on using it for SCCA driving school at NHMS later this month. I've attached a pic. Have fun, and keep the shiny side up! Alan
    Last edited by spencerfvee; 05.11.15 at 12:47 PM. Reason: install picture

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Default bobsy formula vee

hi every one
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfvee View Post
    hi nice looking vee .I realy like it .as you restore your vee can you post pictures of your car being restorded? as soon as I get my sisters sons 14 year old .to show me how to post pictures on this post . lol i will post pictures ..I am new to formula vees what is solo racing ? do they ever have shows for old formula vees for people that just want to show there formula vees and not race them ? good luck with your new toy thanks spencerfvee...

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Default super charged 40hp motor

this is my 40 hp super charged motor that's going into my bobsy vee its a old Pepco vintage super charger that was sold for 36 hp motors but I redid it to run on a 40hp motor spencerfvee
    hi can you tell what show you saw jerrys son at ? I was at a vw show in Columbus last year and won best of show there were over 400 vws there .in my 69 years of living I never won any thing at a car show lo ltill the Columbus show. this year I am showing up with the built 40 hp motor with all the vanguard parts on the vee I even have a old school Pepco super charger to run on the bobsy I am having fun with life thanks for the info spencerfvee

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Jerry was quite talented.

In 1978 he built two Cosworth BDJ engines for me (Ecurie Excalibur) they were fast.

Please give him my regards.

Liked: 51

Default Bought an E-Bay Vee

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    There was an old FV for sale on Ebay that had a few photos of the car lying in the dirt, stuffed with old parts and asking $2195. It looked like the front body section was from a Bobsy Vanguard, and the rest looked very tired. I asked if there was a log book and there was none. I made an offer for parts and was not successful... I just got a notice that the car sold for $1950. and the photos that were with the SOLD auction were not the photos of the car laying in the dirt. The photos show the car on four tires (with air) and all the parts laid out nice and neat, etc. etc.

So If you know the person or persons that bought the car, make sure they look over the car top to bottom. The car was sold out of Hanover PA...
    I am one of the lucky ones I guess. Bought the nr 80 Vee on this photo for $3100 on Ebay. As it worked out the engine fresh Autowerke as tested by Bill Vallis. The shocks probably worth a couple thousand etc etc. Here you can see it repainted and rebuilt....race ready and worth every Ebay dollar spent.

Now looking for another Ebay bargain for my daughter.
    Last edited by Johan W; 10.12.16 at 5:39 PM.

32. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default vanguard building

the second picure is of jerry first building I was only 15 years old when I loked into the big window and saw what I know think was the first proto type bobsy vee that I think was in 1962 we went inside jerry let us look at it but he stude there and said don't mess with it .then he had us kids leave I was hooked from that day on I was going to have a bobsy vee one day . the second picture is the last vanguard shop as it is today .sad but true time waits for no one .I stopped at the shop next door and the guy said jerrys still going .he sees him around town I have tried his phone number but he does not answer I will keep trying spencerfvee..
    hi I am new to this forum . I think I can give some imput to the vee you bought . I have a 1965 vanguard bobsy formula vee .number 85 out of a 100 that were built . I am sure its not a bobsy frame . as others have pointed out. the first bobsy had a ladder bar type frame. and a side mount fiber glass gas tank .as for the body I don't think its a bobsy .in 1969 I got out of the navy and had just bought a new 1968 bug and I herd that a guy had dual carbs kits and valve covers and shifters for a vw bug that he made and sold I lived I medina ohio so with a friend we went to the vanguard shop and I bought my first shifter and valve covers and dual carb kit .after that I hung out at the vanguard shop from 1969 to early 1970s .I got to know jerry .I learned a lot from jerry and the two seater cars he made and vees the vanguard shop is still there but its a repaire shop for MGS from what I can remember jerry was allways changing things on the bodies and frames at the time I did not know what a master he was with race cars .I ALLWAYS WANTED A VANGUARD BOBSY VEE sorry about the caps brand new computer .lol my vee is running with a built 40 hp motor with vanguard dual carb set up and vanguard valve covers and a vanguard belt guard .I am going to use it for hill climbs and car shows I would love to race it but I cant replace the body or frame or me if it was hit raceing at mid ohio. by the way jerry mong still lives in medina ohio from what a friend told me. I am going to try and find him .good luck on your vee build have fun please post a picture of your vee build ..sorry about the long post spencerfvee
    Last edited by spencerfvee; 05.12.15 at 3:22 PM. Reason: install pictures

Default Restoration started

I started the dis-assembly process in preparation for blasting and painting the frame.
    I've attached a pic of the car with seat, tank and belly pan removed.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 11

Looking good

Default Chassis disassembly - continued

The frame is almost ready for sand blasting. I still have to remove the axles and transmission. My work schedule has changed and I will have limited time to work on this FV, so if someone wants to take over the project I'll let it go cheap!

Thread Information