Liked: 6

Default Formula 600 West Coast Series 2016?

Recently i have been getting a lot of inquiry from drivers from the western states. They are all interest in the F600 class, but i have to tell them that currently our series doesn't travel that far.. Im curious, if i were to put in the time to get sponsors, is there any interest out there for a west coast Formula 600 Challenge Series ? Is there anyone out there considering converting or purchasing a F600 on that side of the states?

Ryan Barth

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Hey if you put a west coast, series together i'll race in it Already have a car

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by rob66x View Post
    Hey if you put a west coast, series together i'll race in it Already have a car
    Would you please help be the cheer leader and start promoting a west coast series? Start networking and determining who and when. And along the way look for sponsors. Enter your car in every major SCCA west coast race in 2015 and give handouts to all who visit your paddock space asking for their involvement. Just takes time and effort like what we have done and continue to do. Set up a website and facebook page and so on. Get interviewed by each of the race track announcers - just meet them and ask for the on-air interview.
    This can become almost as big as the other pro formula car west coast series.

Anyone else on the west coast want to step forward and get involved in a group to do all of this? An opportunity to take charge and create something from scratch.

Jim

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Cal club standings only show one car in divisional points. Maybe there are a couple more in Majors, but in all the race weekends I've attended in the past 15 years or so, I've NEVER seen a F440/500/600 whatever.

Don't know about the pacific northwest, but it seems like the prerequisite for a pro series would be to have a few cars to start.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Cal club standings only show one car in divisional points. Maybe there are a couple more in Majors, but in all the race weekends I've attended in the past 15 years or so, I've NEVER seen a F440/500/600 whatever.

Don't know about the pacific northwest, but it seems like the prerequisite for a pro series would be to have a few cars to start.....
    You have to start somewhere even if there are NO cars on the west coast. Get people talking about it.

Jim

Liked: 72

The Southeast started out with only one car and now theres a bunch. The two stroke platform doesn't appeal much out on the west coast for one reason or another apparently. I can tell you that at the runoffs we had a non stop line of interested drivers asking about the cars. It only took one on track session for people to come looking for us.
    Its easier now than its ever been with the MC cars being able to run nation wide with no "special letters" needed. In the early days the Atlanta region decided to give us a shot and Butch along with several other key members made it possible. I think it would be a waste if the motorcycle drivetrain didn't make a run at reviving the class out west. I know one very good driver that has a almost finished car and another with a finished car out west already. As soon as drivers start seeing them run, it wont take long for interest to grow.
    With new MC drivetrain cars now available in the class, theres no better time to jump in! The excuse of "I cant fit" doesn't apply anymore. The new DB Wildcat can fit anyone that's interested in racing and parts will be readily available.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

?what is the price differential between a F600 and F1000....just wondering

Liked: 12

Default F600 vs F1000 pricing

This is just a cost involvement idea for you. I purchased a used car that was 'Literally' in pieces / boxes / buckets etc.... by the time I was finished 18 months later.. I ended up with 55k in it. No spares either... My wife and I are considering a F600 (for her) based on what I've read in posts for costs... that I'm assuming are about 50% of a F1000 based on what I've gone through.

I had the pleasure to meat Jim in Atlanta just over a year ago and got some great info from him about the class.

Doug

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

From what I've read an F600 is $30k new, $15k used.

I believe you can easily double that for competitive F1000's.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default comparisons are odius but......

i guess that i should investigate the F600 rules, just assumed it was a 'smaller' F1000 not 'half sized' per cost

what websites should i visit to learn about newly built vehicles?
    Last edited by provamo; 12.29.14 at 6:01 PM.

Liked: 12

Default F600 new?

Just curious... and I'm assuming that an Engine doesn't come with a 'New' F600 car package or does it?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    i guess that i should investigate the F600 rues, just assumed it was a 'smaller' F1000 not 'half sized' per cost

what websites should i visit to learn about newly built vehicles?
    New cars (that you can buy today), so far, are the Novakar and the DB Wildcat, the rest are conversions. Jay Novak is a regular on here so you can find his website or contact information here. Ryan Barth is involved with the brand new Wildcat and his post is at the top of this thread.

HTH,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gearslingr View Post
    Just curious... and I'm assuming that an Engine doesn't come with a 'New' F600 car package or does it?

Doug
    Presently, the new cars come with used motorcycle drivetrains as there are no new ones from the bike makers. This may change.

Jim

New cars with a motor will be 30K. This is allowing for a 1500.00 ebay motor. Data usually runs around 2500.00 for what you want to monitor in these cars. Theres several cars on the market for 15K that very fast and competitive. I have one for sale at 15K that's fast, theres another just like it for 15K currently listed. Look to spend around 15K for a well put together car that's been proven track worthy.

Default $2500.00

data!.......................you guys are kidding me right?

Liked: 896

Not sure what you mean with your comment. I do know you can do a very good system for $2500 on these cars. One of the main reasons why is because all of the engine data channels are streamed from the ECU and there are no extra channels required to get all of that data.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 227

The basic AIM system with data logging and GPS track mapping is up to $1,400 PLUS sensors, so the $2,500 estimate is probably not far off if you are monitoring a lot of data points, and/or using one of the more expensive systems.

As with any class, you can spend a lot less and get by, but they are talking about fully developed cars capable of winning Majors races.

just yanking your chains guys

what ever happened to just driving the car LOL

TMI

AJ would take a hammer to that stuff

19. The following members LIKED this post:

You don't have to have the data but it helps. The guys trying to get everything they can out of a car will have these systems on their car. One of my cars doesn't have any data on it anymore, one has about everything you can put on one. The difference between the two is the focus on trying new things. Going by the seat of your pants doesn't really cut it when you're trying to determine what works and what doesn't. In my case its expensive to make a mistake on determining what does and doesn't work because the things that does work I have to buy four of each since we have four rental cars. After all, no one likes driving a car that doesn't have what the other car has on it. These systems have been a good investment all the way around so far. If a guy that's renting a car says "you cant take that turn flat out" , I just pull the data up and give him hope. It also helps get a new driver up to speed rather quick by being able to identify where he or she is loosing time. If the new driver is constantly getting lapped, its not likely that they will stay in the class for very long.
    If you decide not to go with data you can be just as fast. It may or may not take any longer to get up to speed in fact but theres going to be a time where you'll wish you had it to fall back on.

Liked: 942

Default Without data, its just an opinion - W. Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    The basic AIM system with data logging and GPS track mapping is up to $1,400 PLUS sensors, so the $2,500 estimate is probably not far off if you are monitoring a lot of data points, and/or using one of the more expensive systems.

As with any class, you can spend a lot less and get by, but they are talking about fully developed cars capable of winning Majors races.
    Tales from the back of the pack in Club Ford.... Data doesn't have to be expensive.

If you are just starting out you don't need to spend big money for useful data.

Three years ago, I bought a used AIM Mychron4 gokart kit with GPS antenna for about $400. I got the coil wire wrap rpm pickup to work by taking twice the number of turns on the rpm signal wire to get a good rpm signal. The Mychron didn't fit my steering wheel very well, so I mounted it as a datalogger only. I continued to use the dash gauges to drive the car. The RPM and GPS data was very useful, including using the data overlay on video with my ContourHD camera. I spent $35 for RaceRender video/data overlay software and it works excellent.

The data I got was very useful. It showed me I exactly where was overslowing the car and losing way too much momentum and that more "go pedal" was needed. I'm still working on that. The video overlay with data also showed where I did not hit my marks and where I did. I'm still DFL, but working to get better.

Today, you can simply go out and buy an Aim Solo for the same money and get a significant amount of data in a very simple package. Very easy install, data download and data presentation for the new driver. When you want to move up, you sell it and reinvest in some good used equipment.

Recently I bought a used EVO4 kit, Mychron 3gold dash from Joe Cooley. Veracity racing data sold me their magnetic crank sensing RPM pickup for a good RPM signal. I added some used displacement sensors found on ebay. When done, I will have steering, brake and throttle data for very reasonable money.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Tales from the back of the pack in Club Ford.... Data doesn't have to be expensive.

If you are just starting out you don't need to spend big money for useful data.

Three years ago, I bought a used AIM Mychron4 gokart kit with GPS antenna for about $400. I got the coil wire wrap rpm pickup to work by taking twice the number of turns on the rpm signal wire to get a good rpm signal. The Mychron didn't fit my steering wheel very well, so I mounted it as a datalogger only. I continued to use the dash gauges to drive the car. The RPM and GPS data was very useful, including using the data overlay on video with my ContourHD camera. I spent $35 for RaceRender video/data overlay software and it works excellent.

The data I got was very useful. It showed me I exactly where was overslowing the car and losing way too much momentum and that more "go pedal" was needed. I'm still working on that. The video overlay with data also showed where I did not hit my marks and where I did. I'm still DFL, but working to get better.

Today, you can simply go out and buy an Aim Solo for the same money and get a significant amount of data in a very simple package. Very easy install, data download and data presentation for the new driver. When you want to move up, you sell it and reinvest in some good used equipment.

Recently I bought a used EVO4 kit, Mychron 3gold dash from Joe Cooley. Veracity racing data sold me their magnetic crank sensing RPM pickup for a good RPM signal. I added some used displacement sensors found on ebay. When done, I will have steering, brake and throttle data for very reasonable money.
    Buying a used system is a great way to get a champagne system for a beer budget. I'll be selling my AIM XG Log system this spring. Would be a great system for any low/mid tech formula car.

Cory

Thread Information