Liked: 1

Default Best Trailer Type for Formula Mazda

i recently bought a 1998 Formula Mazda and need a trailer. Was thinking I would get an open, all aluminum, car hauler so that I could use it for other cars like spec miata and 4x4 off-road. What types of trailers would be easiest to load? Dovetail, onboard loading Ramps, etc.? Any insight is appreciated.

Liked: 384

Whatever open trailer you get make sure it has lowest ground clearance possible.
    Also i must have jack that is able to lean rear of trailer closer to ground.
    I used 100" arched aluminum ramps and tilted trailer rear down while pulling it up.
    Then lowered it back and connected to car.
    Close trailer of course is ideal.
    I used MTC for open and ATC for closed.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Default Thank you

I may still consider closed trailer too if I can find one of right dimensions

I custom ordered mine from Complete Trailers in Colorado.
    Brett Costa was my sales guy.
    It is 19 v neck x 7,5 and 8ft high.
    Kicker is because of the way they build them
    total weight is 2550lbs.
    Consider that when pricing out trailer.
    Lower weight - less fuel cost for towing and brake wear and tear.
    I liked the experience dealing with these guys and built quality is bar none.
    Price reflects it of course.
    check out their web site and you'll see what kind of trailers they produce.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

I have owned FM,Pro Fm and now FE.
    So three Mazda's and they all loved it
    lol.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

They still have my trailer posted on their web site under motorsports.
    7,5x20 custom blue with checker flag flooring.
    Check it out on web site Complete Trailers.Com
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I've hauled my Reynard in a simple single axle trailer. I just raise the tongue with a couple of wood planks as ramps and done. Very ez. Very cheap.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 126

Going from an open trailer to an enclosed trailer was like going from night to day.

Default Take a look at Kwikload.com

I purchased a rollback style trailer from Kwikload (their 18' internet special). Kwikload is right there your part of Texas. At the time, I was thinking that I would be in a heavier, tin top race car. I had a well-used truck and I knew I was buying a used racecar; I figured that I would at least get new trailer and eliminate one source of 'adventures'.

I added E-track to strap the car down around the wheels based on Moses' input and put on a $500 Superwinch. Winch power comes from the battery in my truck. With the nose cone off to strap on the frame for winching, clearance to the trailer is no issue. I have never bothered to try driving the FM onto the trailer for the simple fact that I believe it will roll back against engine compression. I have also hauled my S2000 (which I did just drive on and set the parking brake) and my K1500 short bed pick-up (when the transmission puked near Dallas thank you very much) with this trailer using the D-rings in the bed for tie downs.

A closed trailer for the FM would be nice if a haul through the weather is required. On my near term list is to solve that issue. At this point, reverting to closed box trailer is not on my list.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I now pull a 33' enclosed trailer with genset, fluorescent overhead lighting, work bench, upper & lower cabinets, tool cabinets, driver's gear closet, bunks, toilet, fridge, heat & air, outside lights, 24' awning. Way more than you need, but nice to have, no matter the weather.

An enclosed trailer is like camping at the Comfort Inn & Suites.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 99

I will strongly second the recommendation for ATC if you go with enclosed. I ordered mine this past year and took delivery in September, couldn't be happier. Had a 20' prior and went up to a 24', all aluminum. Glad I did, much more space now and great room for storage with the cabinets. ATC was great from design to build and my dealer in PA (All Pro Trailers) were fantastic.

-Nick

Bitchin trailer.
    Kudos.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

Liked: 123

If it ever rains when you are towing, you really do want an enclosed trailer. If it never ever rains, then an open trailer is fine. If you ever stop overnight on the way to a race, you want an enclosed trailer. If all your tows are short enough to finish in one day, then an open trailer is fine. If you carry spares, tools, tires, etc, that you don't want stolen while you eat lunch, and don't want in the bed of the truck or the back seat of your car, etc. You get the drift. Many people live life and love it with an open trailer, I did for many years, but stepping up to an enclosed trailer was, as said before, night and day.

For me, the ideal trailer size is 20' full width, 6.5' interior height.

Brian

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Default open trailer

I used a Jimglo tilt car hauler for my FE. All I had to do was remove nose and it was cake. I had an enclosed also and for that I got a set of Miata wheels which only required hogging out center hole a few thou. I had about $150 in them.
    Jimglo is a really cool trailer favored by show car guys but they are very hard to find used and they are $7-8 grand new. Google them.
    Hybels

Banned
    Liked: 1116

You mentioned part of your criteria was the ability to load other cars on it, one of which was a 4 x 4.

I don't know where you like to go off-roading but dragging a nice enclosed trailer or a trailer with low ground clearance would be a major concern for me.

I ended up getting an enclosed trailer for the race car and a tow-bar for the jeep.

If you have the storage room get a cheap $1000ish used dual axle open trailer (steel) for the 4x4 and get an enclosed trailer for the track.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

I have an both an open and enclosed and found lot less lookers trying to take pictures and swerve into you when pulling the enclosed. My gooseneck is an overkill for the FM but gives me room to load and take my pit car too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	50502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pit Car.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	50503  

Liked: 14

I used to stuff this puppy inside a 16ft vnose cargo pro cargo pro, the battery tray/crash structure would be removed. The nose could either sit in the cockpit with the wings attached or nose would be strapped to rear wing. This trailer also sports a tire rack and I could haul around almost two extra sets of mounted avons. Jrm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141218_213524.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	50506  

Default Thank you all for great input

Thank you all for your hospitality. Sure great to get this kind of help. I will look for an aluminum closed trailer and see what I can find. Happy holidays to all and I hope to see you all at an upcoming race.

Liked: 19

16 or 18 foot lightweight enclosed, 16 cause u remove the nose anyway and light .... minimum entrance enclosed and works well for many club racers without worrying about paddocking the damn thing ......... jmo

Thread Information