Liked: 309

Default New Hoosier Tires for F1600 and F2000

PRI Announcement : New Hoosier Tires for F1600 and F2000

Indianapolis, IN – Formula Race Promotions, operators of the F1600 Formula F Championship Series and F2000 Championship Series, and Hoosier Racing Tire announced today an updated tire for both F1600 and F2000 for the 2015 season at a press conference during the Performance Racing Industry trade show in Indianapolis.

The F1600 Series, expanding from 14 races to 21 races, but on a similar seven-weekend schedule, will move to radial tires, while keeping its maximum six tire rule. The rule will cover all three races per weekend and the single qualifying session.

The new F1600 tires will also feature a slotted tread pattern.

“Moving to the radial tire will be a relatively seamless transition, and we are establishing a milestone moment in Formula F racing,” said Bruce Foss, business unit manager, circuit racing tires, Hoosier Racing Tire. “The goal is to convert these cars from a bias tire to a radial for driver development to the next class. The bias tire is more forgiving than a radial which, allows the driver to make a mistake and recover, where as with the radial the driver has to be more technical.”

Hoosier recently conducted a two-day private tire test and will make setup and tire data available to teams prior to the 2015 season.

Hoosier has been the official tire supplier of the F2000 Series since 2008, and will switch tire compounds for the 2015 season.

“The main goal for the new F2000 tires is to improve the longevity so that the tires will last an entire race weekend before wearing out,” added Foss. “A secondary goal is to also improve the overall performance of the rear tire. It is also desirable to minimize the amount of lap time degradation as the durability of the tire increases.”

Tires will be priced at the same rates as the 2014 season.

Both Series will also receive updated rain tires for the 2015 season.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 157

Deleted, as Dennis covered what i posted in the other thread.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Well, so much for trying to go to one or a couple of these events...

I should have been more clear - it's not that I have a problem with the tire or the direction the Pro series is going, it's just that with my small-ish budget and limited prep time, figuring out the new tire would be too much for my team of me, myself and I. If I'm going to drop my hard-earned cash on a new set of tires for a Pro event, being close to the back doesn't sound like as much fun as being closer to the front at a Regional on well-used R35s.
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 12.13.14 at 3:30 PM. Reason: clarity
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 757

Any feedback from the PBIR race with the new tires?

Liked: 976

This is second hand information, but I had no reason not to deem it reliable. The FF tires performed exceptionally well. Multiple heat cycles with no fall off in performance at 150 miles. I did not hear anything specific about FA or F2.

Liked: 279

Looked like some of the F2000 cars were running large amounts of static negative camber with the new tires. Looks like some suspension geometry changes are in order with the radials? Was this anticipated?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Looked like some of the F2000 cars were running large amounts of static negative camber with the new tires. Looks like some suspension geometry changes are in order with the radials? Was this anticipated?
    The previous tire was a radial, lots of negative camber is the norm.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

A little bit to add...feedback says the F2000 tire is really really good for the VD, fixing some of the issues with the rear sidewall in last year's model. It also lasts a long time. F1600 tire had great longevity. FA tested a new front tire (the one at the Hoosier test in November didn't measure up) that worked perfectly.

Of interest (track records are from the 2014 Majors Race):

FA: old record 1:11.641
    New qualifying record 1:08.588

FC old record 1:16.622
    New qualifying record 1:14.673

FF old record 1:21.265
    New qualifying record 1:19.402

I'd say the tires are pretty good....
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 71

So I have to ask the obvious. Is this tire going to be available to the regular SCCA FF population? I was under the impression the last pro tire wasn't...I could be wrong.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    ... I'd say the tires are pretty good....

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    So I have to ask the obvious. Is this tire going to be available to the regular SCCA FF population? I was under the impression the last pro tire wasn't...I could be wrong.
    You can call Hoosier and have them mail you set any time you want. I don't believe they bring them to any SCCA events though.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Pro Tire

Last seasons pro tire was available as a club tire, marked as an R45B compound instead of F1600. It was also a bit less money. Exact same tire, ,just couldn't use them in the series without the F1600 stamp in the compound box. I'll bet Hoosier is selling them off right now at a discount, worth a call. I have no idea if the same deal will be in place with the new tire.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Get 'em while they're hot....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    I'll bet Hoosier is selling them off right now at a discount, worth a call.
    For fronts, they are discounting the R45B (C2500) at $110 each. The F1600 fronts are all sold out.

For rears, they are discounting the F1600 (A and C 2500) at $132 each.

A flat $15 charge will be applied to all internet tire orders within the 48 contiguous States.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    Last seasons pro tire was available as a club tire, marked as an R45B compound instead of F1600. It was also a bit less money. Exact same tire, ,just couldn't use them in the series without the F1600 stamp in the compound box. I'll bet Hoosier is selling them off right now at a discount, worth a call. I have no idea if the same deal will be in place with the new tire.
    The fronts were slightly narrower also, although it wasn't too hard to tune around on the Spectrum.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information