Liked: 0

Default Lynz-B purchased--Need information and opinions

I purchased a (1979?) Lynx-B last month for a winter project. I don't know much about older F/V's. I paid $3,500 for it, delivered to my front door, Reno Nevada to Bakersfield, Cal. My initial thought was to make it a an open track car. Typical stuff, replace the 1200 with a stronger 1600, re-engineer the rather bizarre steering mechanism, nut and bolt etc. The only thing thing I have done to this car so far is purchase a used set of Hoosier slicks.

It has VARA and ICSCC log books, spotty history. The roll bar stamp is 33199. The car number seems to have been #379 at one point, now it is #79. I called a former owner in the Seattle area. He rembered the car and explained some signficant hill climbing championships.

Compared to my Crossle F/F, this car is a real tight fit even with out a racing suit on. I would have to recongigure the cockpit area and perform other structual modifications to fit me.

So there it it is in a nut shell. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monoshock.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	50253

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zink4.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	50254

Name:	Zink 1.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	50255

Name:	DSCF4523.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	50256

Name:	DSCF4519.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	50257

Liked: 24

Before you make any major changes, this looks like a good runner for a local group right now.

The Lynx B is a desirable car in Vintage Vee racing. Since yours has the rear shock mounts under the mono, maybe convert it back to Monoposto Vee specs?
    John Kennelly
    Radiant Racing Tech - Apex Pro Dealer
    Facebook | YouTube

Liked: 304

Love them hubcaps.

I doubt the rollbar extension is legal (SCCA) or structurally sound.

What is bizarre about the steering?

Quote Originally Posted by crypt0zink View Post
    Before you make any major changes, this looks like a good runner for a local group right now.

The Lynx B is a desirable car in Vintage Vee racing. Since yours has the rear shock mounts under the mono, maybe convert it back to Monoposto Vee specs?
    Thanks for your reply. As I understand the term 'monoposto" it means as delivered or built for that period of time. Other than the mono shock you mentioned, can you see any other non stock modifications? Could you post a pic or two of a vintage rear shock instillation? If this car has any Vintage qualifications, I don't want to start modifying it.
    Skeeters

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Don't modify squat yet....except maybe the oil filter location. Barring any safety stuff that might need to be changed, that car would be eligible to run FV2 class with VARA on American Racers with mono-shock zero roll.

Run FV2 with VARA and have some fun!

http://www.vararacing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    Love them hubcaps.

I doubt the rollbar extension is legal (SCCA) or structurally sound.

What is bizarre about the steering?
    I do find the steering linkage quite odd. The Lynx seems to be a very 'robust' build. The drop bar must weigh 20 lbs. Is this how they did it back in the day? I again admit my lack of knowledge about this type of race car. The roll bar extension has two VARA tech labels on it. Do VARA and SCCA have different rules? Can you give me any clue as to the build date of this car?

The hubcaps have been retired from racing duties. I am hoping to mount them on my 1960 Corvair.

Skeeters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4516.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	50281  

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Don't modify squat yet....except maybe the oil filter location. Barring any safety stuff that might need to be changed, that car would be eligible to run FV2 class with VARA on American Racers with mono-shock zero roll.

Run FV2 with VARA and have some fun!

http://www.vararacing.com/
    Just mounted used Hoosiers, am I screwed? Car needs 6 point belts. What about the oil filter location?

Skeeters

Liked: 304

I cannot speak to the VARA rules. The SCCA rule for formula car roll bars reads in part:

"One continuous length of tubing shall be used for the main hoop member with smooth continuous bends and no evidence of crimping or wall failure."

I have read somewhere... Adding on is not acceptable. OTOH, if it is signed off by an engineer it might be acceptable. I am not certain about this. That extension just doesn't look to good to me.

The steering itself is fairly common, although that is one hefty steering arm. It is not the original Lynx steering I don't think.

Liked: 174

Many D-13's have gotten away with it but that's another story...

Mark

Banned

Send a message to member Jerry B here on this site.

He is going to be the most well-versed on VARA tech rules here. He may be willing to point out any obvious issues visible in the pics.

He is a fantastic guy.

Whether the oil filter satisfies tech rules or not, I would not have it in such a vulnerable area.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 12.10.14 at 12:06 PM.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

monoposto refers to one seat aka single seater aka formula car

a USAC Sprint Car or WoO car is monoposto

Liked: 72

Vara runs several levels of vees from totally vintage up to current cars. Your fits in V3 which is one level under contemporary cars. The saddle is definantly illegal in SCCA. The car appears to be an original Lynx with a bolt on Zink zero roll. The steering is an update as well. It could go back to more of a vintage status but Monoposta rules cut off around 1970. CSRG the nocal vintage group extended their date to 75 but excludes zero roll other than origional D13.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Vara runs several levels of vees from totally vintage up to current cars. Your fits in V3 which is one level under contemporary cars.
    The only difference between FV2 and FV3 is the year of manufacturer.

1978 and older are FV2, and 1979 and newer are FV3.

The Lynx B was made through 1978, in 1979 they were Caracal's right?

That makes a Lynx B FV2.

Send a message to member Jerry B here on this site.

He is going to be the most well-versed on VARA tech rules here. He may be willing to point out any obvious issues visible in the pics.

He is a fantastic guy.

Whether the oil filter satisfies tech rules or not, I would not have it in such a vulnerable area.
    Thanks. I will send him a pm tonight

The only difference between FV2 and FV3 is the year of manufacturer.

1978 and older are FV2, and 1979 and newer are FV3.

The Lynx B was made through 1978, in 1979 they were Caracal's right?

That makes a Lynx B FV2.
    Again, Thanks Daryl. The log books are old and faded, but with your help, I can confirm that it is a 1979 Lynx-B. The ICSCC log book shows a rollbar stamp pf 33-199. Have any idea where it might be stamped? I have contacted Jeanette at VARA and she has a line on Joe Harding, a past owner.

Skeeters

Liked: 947

Skeeters,

The roll bar number should be near the hole drilled in the driver's right side of the roll hoop. You may have to scrape some paint to find it.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Banned

Joe Harding may be on this site.

Last I knew he was racing an Ralt RT3..

Liked: 29

Default FVeeeeeee

Skeeters:

Joe Harding doesn't frequent Apex....he's in the San Diego area. 'he has a Ralt and a Martini and a few others.

Roll bar........if you want to race the car with VARA or SVRA West, you might remove the scabbed on hoop IF your not too tall?.... the r.b. stamped number is irrelevant. Depending on the side bar and hoop size/wall thickness.

Daryl DeArman in his post, said of me ....He is a fantastic guy. I've NEVER been called that....he still owes that $20 owed to me!!

That oil filter might be tucked in a bit.......and so could the oil vent can....

"The steering itself is fairly common, although that is one hefty steering arm. It is not the original Lynx steering I don't think. "
    Rube Goldberg at his finest with that steering arm I could'nt see inside the steering box but surely has a weird steering ratio. But if it works so be it.

If your up for it, slide out to Buttonwillow Jsn 9, 10, 11 at the annual VARA School and I'll take a look at the car 4 U. Friday is a test day. Your tires will b fine....I drink Newcastle.

JB

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

The "story" most people use for roll hoop extensions, like this, is that the lower hoop is legal, they fit properly under it. and the extension is just supplementary for "extra safety". Not very many tech inspectors will send you away for having "extra safety".

Just sayin ....
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

That is a really cool looking car !

Thread Information