Liked: 41

Default what is everyone using for a head restraint

I'm wondering what is the best head restraint system for a v I'm leaning toward the necksgen. I know the hans are the best but which model as they make several different angles and the adjustable as well. thanks for the feed back.
    jeff

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

I'm using a circa 2007 30 degree HANS. For me, it works in a Speed Sport (Citation) and Scorpion (Caracal D clone). The Speed Sport has a more upright seating position. One thing that will affect the angle you need is your body type. For us skinny guys, the HANS will rotate more to lay on your chest, so he angle you need will be affected by you AND the car.'s seat angle. Hope that helps. John

Liked: 29

I use the Hans and like it for its simplicity. Different companies make different claims in what they protect against ( lateral movement vs forward movement). For the Hans you'll look at the Sport II because it's the cheapest option. The angle will really depend on your car, how much you lay down or sit upright. If you know anyone around you, you might try out their hans while sitting in your car.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 105

I am using the Simpson Hybrid. The HANS was not practical in my car, could not see straight ahead with one. The Hybrid is very simple.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 0

I have an adjustable Hans which I am very happy with and use in different types of cars from closed wheel stockcars to dragsters and formulas. It fits well and like the fact that I can adjust to each type of seat position for a comfortable fit.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Fitting the HANS

Trying one on with a helmet in the car you'll be driving is a must. The seat may need to be moved forward slightly to allow room for the thickness of the HANS between your helmet & the 36 sq. in. x 1" thick headrest cushion required by SCCA rules for formula cars. Otherwise when your shoulder straps are tightened your helmet probably will be pushed forward by the headrest, tilting it downward. Moving my seating position forward approx 1" solved it in my Ralt.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 6

Default Hans

Am using the Necksgen. Seems to work good. Fortunately have not had to test it under conditions.

Liked: 27

Default Hans

Hans adjustable.

Liked: 6

Default Simpson Pro Rage

I am 5'10", 230lbs. could not get into my Evolution with Hans. Simpson Pro Rage is comfortable and fits very good in FST

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

If you are on the bigger side, and have a lay down FV, save yourself the bother and just go buy the Simpson Hybrid/Pro Rage. If you're smaller, you have more options and can shop around.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 107

regular old everyday hans.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 72

I had a HANS and hated it. Bought a NEXGEN and love it. My seating position is quite reclined and I don't have much room to get buckled in, but using the NEXGEN allows me to helmet up outside the car and do the belts via braille fairly easily. The absence of the yoke down my chest allows me to lower my point of view to see the dash and not have to tilt my helmet. If your helmet has an aero chin, you'll have issues with the HANS. There's no compression on my chest when the belts are tightened, which makes it easier for me to breath. I'd buy another, if I had to.

Unfortunately, I have tested my NEXGEN and while the car was toast, I walked away and was painless the next day.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

I love my hans. Don't buy the best deal/cheapest. 1 day in the hospital is way more expensive than the most expensive head and neck restraint

Liked: 72

All H&N devices must pass SFI 38.1 to be authorized for use in SCCA events. I'd steer clear if what you're looking at does not have a SFI sticker. Virtually all H&N devices are a fair trade item and price is fairly strictly controlled. Support a supporter of SCCA when you buy, we all benefit.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 384

Hans 30
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 24

The Necksgen's models (original & REV) have a SFI 38.1 certification.

After 3 Vintage Vee season with a Hans Pro 20, I purchased a lightly used Necksgen original. The overall fit & comfort of the Necksgens is better than the Hans 20, but the Hans 20 wasn't designed for a reclined formula car seating position.

The original Necksgen model does a excellent job keeping the belts in the proper location over the yokes, but they're not easy to find for sale used.

John Kennelly
    Radiant Racing Tech - Apex Pro Dealer
    Facebook | YouTube

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by crypt0zink View Post
    The Necksgen's models (original & REV) have a SFI 38.1 certification.

After 3 Vintage Vee season with a Hans Pro 20, I purchased a lightly used Necksgen original. The overall fit & comfort of the Necksgens is better than the Hans 20, but the Hans 20 wasn't designed for a reclined formula car seating position.

The original Necksgen model does a excellent job keeping the belts in the proper location over the yokes, but they're not easy to find for sale used.

+1 for the Necksgen. Its adjustable from 10 degrees up to 40 degrees for whatever seat angle you might have. Also the low back of the Necksgen does not get in the way of my Headrest. And like mentioned above, the belts stay on like they should unlike the hans.

Just my 2 cents,
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

Liked: 41

thanks everyone !! I have bought a necksgen seem to be the best deal and universal fit
    jeff

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information