Thread: Wheel bearings

Liked: 5

Default Wheel bearings

Looking at replacing the front wheel bearings. What's everyone's preferred source and brand?

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

how come wheel bearings last for tens of thousands of miles in street cars.............. but not so long in racecars?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I've got over 300k on my truck's rear axle bearings I would imagine the high speeds, high g loads & high heat kill the racing. bearings.

If I drove my truck like the SM or CFC, She'd die in a few weeks... No, at best, a few hours... Perhaps, a few laps... No, She'd never make it through turn three at BIR.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 126

Something Made in Japan.

Liked: 1432

NM.

Wrong car....
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 12.01.14 at 3:31 PM.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Kinda depends on your upright... In some you have no choice but to buy whatever replacements are available..
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 273

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post
    Looking at replacing the front wheel bearings. What's everyone's preferred source and brand?
    I believe the car you own is a Speads?

If I remember correctly they use a late model Van Diemen w/b. I would contact Richard at Rilltech and confirm this.

Pegasus is a decent source if they've got the correct size in stock. I like SKF bearings when I can get them.

What shortens the life of wheel bearings the most is when they "lose press". This is somewhat common in uprights that don't use a steel sleeve insert. They begin to move around in the U/R which makes the angular contact bearings wear out quicker.

Keeping the trauma down when re-installing also extends their life. Freeze the bearing and heat the U/R keeps this to a minimum.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

thanks GHICKMAN !

What shortens the life of wheel bearings the most is when they "lose press". This is somewhat common in uprights that don't use a steel sleeve insert. They begin to move around in the U/R which makes the angular contact bearings wear out quicker.

Thread Information