Liked: 190

Default Formula First 101 (FV 1600)

Formula First (FV 1600) Basic Information Review:

It seems that after a decade goes by, one just assumes that everyone knows everything. Well, I am finding out that there are a number of newer drivers who really don’t know what “FST” is and where it came from. This thread will attempt to put some basic details down on the conception, history and current status of the class.

We should start at the beginning. Myself, a 20 year FV vet, and 4 other FV vets met at the June Sprints in 2001. At that point, a document was presented to propose an upgrade to FV. This was based on technical specs we were given by members of the FVANSW in Australia. We learned that the Australians were running into the same supply problems that we were experiencing.

At this point in time, the concept was purely to upgrade the current formula (FV). A test car was constructed, funded by this 5 person committee and became known as the “Committee Car”. It was a ’72 Lynx B with a Canadian Blackhole body. The car first tested at Gingerman in August of 2002. Almost immediately, we knew of FV cars being converted to this spec.

We campaigned the Committee Car in CenDiv and Great Lakes in the SCCA classification of FS (Formula Special). Initially, the concept was well accepted, most by new member/drivers. However, many existing FV owners/drivers did not like the concept of change. Through SCCA politics, the concept (upgrade to FV) came to a standstill about 2004, close to the same time that the FVAHC was formed. In 2006, it was decided to not fight and simply grow our own class and get SCCA GCR recognition.

The class name FST came from our being FS homologated and wanting separate recognition. At a race at Mid Ohio in 2008, an event steward suggested that because we are already FS, just add the letter T for your class and become FS-T

In January of 2009, SCCA gave FST GCR recognition but only based on “Regional Only” status. We felt this was the best direction at the time to minimize the potential cost escalation typical in National racing.

Since 2009, we have enjoyed entries at 32 SCCA tracks crossing all divisions http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...06&postcount=1

Seen more than 80 cars in construction or raced http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...67&postcount=1

And have a racing series that has lasted longer than most SCCA Pro Series http://formula-first.org/

In the end, FST is really nothing more than an FV with newer model VW parts bolted to the chassis.

I would welcome any technical question about the cars and how it all came to be.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    The class name FST came from our being FS homologated and wanting separate recognition. At a race at Mid Ohio in 2008, an event steward suggested that because we are already FS, just add the letter T for your class and become FS-T

In January of 2009, SCCA gave FST GCR recognition but only based on “Regional Only” status. We felt this was the best direction at the time to minimize the potential cost escalation typical in National racing.
    Bill,

Sorry to doubt accuracy of your review, but are your dates correct? I am sure we raced under the FST class designation in 2005. That’s why 2014 was the 10th season. FS in 2004.

Guy
    Last edited by G.B.; 12.02.14 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Word left out.

Liked: 58

How about some basic specs?

Weight?
    Tires? Type, longevity?
    Power estimate?
    Comparison to other formula cars? Other common entry level classes.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    In the end, FST is really nothing more than an FV with newer model VW parts bolted to the chassis.
    I would slightly disagree with the above statement after viewing photos of an Evolution's front suspension and wheels.
    Plus, it IS still slightly more expensive than Vee racing - although not THAT much more.
    It more resembles current Australian FV than a revision of American FV.
    Glenn Lange

Liked: 34

Can't imagine how you could think FST is more expensive than FV. Just the fact the a set of FST tires cost less than a FV set and last 5 times as long make FST cheaper to run. Also the motors are less expensive and the brakes are more economical, stop better, and last longer.

In addition you spend less of your valuable time preparing the car by not having to change transmissions and screw with constantly adjusting and replacing drum brakes.

Also, larger drivers can fit FST cars due to the space saved and optimum location of the rack & pinion steering as opposed to the clunky VW box which always seems to get in your way. This and the 100 lbs extra minimum weight means they don't have to spend money and time on expensive lightweight materials and parts to be competitive.

Liked: 301

Default Clarification

My last post was an opinion on that one statement.

I was one of the signatures on that original petition that Bill Bonow passed around at the Sprints in '01.
    I remember seeing the "Committee Car" being built. I actually made a few parts for it.
    I don't subscribe to the "Vee vs. First" mentality... in the last 5-7 years, the new First drivers have not been jump-overs from Vee.
    Both classes are suffering in numbers due to our rough economy. Plain and simple.

Glenn Lange

Guess I could see how my first post might have sparked some anger or defensiveness. Sorry for that.

Liked: 58

Default Good resource

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpthumper View Post
    How about some basic specs?

Weight?
    Tires? Type, longevity?
    Power estimate?
    Comparison to other formula cars? Other common entry level classes.
    Check out this link:

http://www.formula-first.org/

Lots of good basic information on the class there.

A more direct answer to your immediate questions:

Weight: 1125lbs (100 more than FV, more large driver friendly)
    Tires: We run the Hoosier Club Ford tire. Very common to go the season on a set
    Power Estimate: Mid 80's plus
    Comparisons: Cheaper to run than an FV and a couple of seconds quicker. Great brakes. The additional displacement makes a big difference pulling out of corners.

Doug FST 5

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 50

Let me add one thing that WAS only touched on. EVERY single comparable component on an FST is less expensive than that component on an FV. (There are a few things that are the same price. ie. belts, fuel cell, transponder, transaxle (but you only need one ) etc.) Also, most every component is available from dozens of vendors at competitive pricing and plenty of quantity. AND.. everyone of those components is more reliable than the typical 50 year old VW part.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

11. The following 7 users liked this post:

Thread Information